What role do creative media play in cultural change?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Re: What role do creative media play in cultural change?

Post by Helen_Combe »

I would be surprised if the book made any impact. My experience of talking with people who support guns is that they are immovable in their beliefs and more gun deaths just result in a call for yet more guns. People who change tend to be ones who have been involved in a shooting and find out first hand just how horrific it is.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I feel that cultural change is primarily bought by a conscious media. It plays a seminal role in such a change. It can also ultimately lead to regression.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

VictoriaMcMillen wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 08:44
Mouricia25 wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 07:43 The things we feed our minds usually manifests in our behaviours. So over time with the right stimuli, people will start acting according to how they have been programmed. This book made an attempt to shift the way people think about guns etc., I am sure it will get people to start thinking a little differently.
I really appreciate the understanding that you have here. Not many people seem to understand that "you are what you eat" also applies to the mind. I find living in this highly digital, highly advertised world, we are experiencing more information than we can process. I believe that this is also causing some odd manifestations in people. I find it even more interesting how you see things as "programming". Way to go labeling the phenomenon... I have been experiencing this understanding but have not been able to express it as you have. Thank you!
You really are what you eat! I am happy I was able to put it into words for you. :)
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

Aphroditelaughs wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 01:11 Yes, that is a problem, and one that the author admits to, in the "preaching to the choir" comment at the beginning. It would be interesting to use this book as a talking point, but I fear the right-leaning, pro-gun crowd would become defensive in the face of the tone and portrayal of them. It might shut down the conversation before it could go anywhere. In order to change minds, you need to give people room to see alternatives instead of doubling down on their initial argument.
I do agree with you there. The book did seem very one-sided. I wish there could have been more perspective given on the actual and real fears of people's gun rights, rather than writing them off and unimportant and unfounded. If we could have something like this with both sides better expressed, I believe then, we could start and keep a conversation going. Good points offered, thank you.
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

I think both feed off each other, to be honest. Often creative art is a reaction to something happening in culture - but then at the same time on the opposite field, culture is a reaction to certain arts (i.e. movies, books, music etc). For instance, when things happen in the political realm, artists will poor their passion into their art to make a stand for/against something. But then the media can also write the narrative, like when hollywood believed that if people see less smoking in movies/television, they wouldn't try smoking. Not great examples, but they are the first to come to mind from recent events.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che »

legitmoney wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 02:01 Actually the media is the one stop lecturer that lectures both the young and old not only entertaining the book shows the power of the media and change people orientation and how it can also be used mind changing
You're right! The wide range of social media helps people get oriented to the idea of taking good care of the elderly. Because often times they are vulnerable.
ValentineT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valentinet.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by ValentineT »

The media through time has been able to influence it's audience by what it showcases. This book has done just that. If only the a large number of people can get to read it, the message passed will be great. However, I'm confident that the people who read it, were informed on topics and issues they were not well read on.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

ValentineT wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 15:29 The media through time has been able to influence it's audience by what it showcases. This book has done just that. If only the a large number of people can get to read it, the message passed will be great. However, I'm confident that the people who read it, were informed on topics and issues they were not well read on.
I agree with you!
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

Well-written political satire has been around for hundreds of years, from Aesop’s fables to Mother Goose. While the readers of the day would have recognized the characters and themes, today we see them as cute stories. Satire is designed to cause people to think. It can’t bring change. Only actions can.
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

The human subconscious communicates through metaphors. There is no greater way to influence the human psyche than through stories, examples and images. The author, through his rich array of characters, has succeeded in pointing out to readers the weaknesses inherent in human nature. But whether gun control is the issue, rather than the promotion of more healthy mental and emotional state in people, begs to be answered. Apart from guns, there are a million ways for man to kill man.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

Tbunde5 wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 06:37 Well-written political satire has been around for hundreds of years, from Aesop’s fables to Mother Goose. While the readers of the day would have recognized the characters and themes, today we see them as cute stories. Satire is designed to cause people to think. It can’t bring change. Only actions can.
Yeah, only actions can, but it seems neglected in our society. I can observe it my present community.
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

Tbunde5 wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 06:37 Well-written political satire has been around for hundreds of years, from Aesop’s fables to Mother Goose. While the readers of the day would have recognized the characters and themes, today we see them as cute stories. Satire is designed to cause people to think. It can’t bring change. Only actions can.
Good point. I liked how you brought those historical tales into the discussion. I, however, believe they do bring about change. For thought is the beginning of anything, especially action. Thank you for your thoughts!
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

I think the author did an excellent job representing all people, and raising the issue of treating every culture fairly. Not equally, but fairly. The author could have been a little more sensitive in the cultural representation during the school shooting scenes, but I think I'm just being sensitive.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

lesler wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 22:53 I think the author did an excellent job representing all people, and raising the issue of treating every culture fairly. Not equally, but fairly. The author could have been a little more sensitive in the cultural rep
resentation during the school shooting scenes, but I think I'm just being sensitive.
Yeah, some scenes make us sensitive because we can relate to their feelings and emotions.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

420waystoreachthesun wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 12:09 I feel that cultural change is primarily bought by a conscious media. It plays a seminal role in such a change. It can also ultimately lead to regression.
Yeah, culture will change and varies on the next generation. Some may change, lost and enhance.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”