What role do creative media play in cultural change?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Re: What role do creative media play in cultural change?

Post by desantismt_17 »

The major issues in this book (guns, the role of the elderly in society,) are things about which society has already undergone changes over in the past. With the right exposure, this book could have an impact on insighting yet another shift. I think media (books, movies, music, etc.) have the ability to make change, but it's all about timing and widespread exposure. There also has to be a willingness for a shift. "People only change if they want to change."
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

I think a good example of what this book has done would be the conversations it has started. even just on onlinebookclub, it has got people discussing the issue of gun control and putting it out there. It's important for things like this to be discussed rather than swept under the carpet and avoided.
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
freakkshowx
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freakkshowx.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by freakkshowx »

While I doubt that this novel itself will gain much traction with the general public at large, I do believe that creative media is an important indicator of a sea change in the views of the majority. Looking back on this moment in history, it will be clear to the next generation that our opinions collected themselves within our art. To those watching currently, creative media serves as encouragement to stand up for what they believe in. I know pieces centered around gun control certainly have that effect on me.
ostercl
Currently Reading: Horse Soldiers
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ostercl.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by ostercl »

Media plays a HUGE role in cultural change - opinions of others now surround us without us really having to look for them.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Creative media definitely impacts on culture. Music, art, technology, books, etc. are the main means by which everyone in society become engaged socially and otherwise.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Books like this have a tendency to do one of two things, make a wide impact and become widely talked about and you hear about it for ages down the road. School teachers use them as required reading and have discussions about them. Books like "The Giver" and "Hunger Games" etc. Others that could have made an even bigger impact seem to go unnoticed.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
stalliongirlke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stalliongirlke.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by stalliongirlke »

The media has alot of influence on culture today.some of it is negative others are positive
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

I think people are more reactive to visuals and other stimuli that are shocking or memorable. I think telling stories through creative media is definitely something that can ignite conversation, but unfortunately these days I think books may reach smaller audiences than movies :/
Morganncall
Favorite Book: Exemplary Tales of Love and Tales of Disillusion
Currently Reading: Daughter of Fortune
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morganncall.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Morganncall »

I think the humanities in general play a huge role in cultural change. Plato, Niztche, and Cervantes all heavely influenced and changed society. Literature specifically is being proven to inspire compasion and empathy in what is being called, The Don Quijote Effect. There is a disdain for the arts and humanities among certain groups of people, but what they forget is that we live in a world of humans whose minds think in metaphors. Story is important and can change people.
faceadventure
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faceadventure.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by faceadventure »

In my opinion media shapes the minds of it's consumers in a very significant way. People follow trends because they are being massively advertised to them. The same goes for political opinions and such. And the absence of certain things plays a great role here as well. For example, not spreading word about tragedies caused by the lack of gun control can not prevent them from happening again. The lack of such news makes people believe that it doesn't happen often and when they do reach them, people dismiss them because they believe they are a rarity. I think that television, newspapers and movies play a bigger role in all these things than books because book generally don't reach out to so many people at once like these other mediums do.
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg »

I think in our society the ability to make people care about issues is underrated by consumers, but understood by every other entity. There's value in books like this that get people thinking about issues because you know there are corporations and orgs silently working away at making us hold certain opinions. Creative works have always been great at stirring things up, and it's rarely a negative thing socially, in the long run.
Lolo Skyooz
Currently Reading: The Haunting of Hill House
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolo-skyooz.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Lolo Skyooz »

I had a professor in college who swore that if media of any kind, especially broadcast media like billboards, radio commercials, TV shows, et cetera, would simply depict racial, gender, and orientational diversity more regularly, then these things would become more readily accepted in society very quickly. When you think back to the Cheerios commercial that showed a mixed-race couple with a child, all just eating cereal, and the insane backlash from lots of people who "didn't like it," it's strange to consider how normal those kinds of commercials and things are now, just a couple years later, and with very few dissenting voices piping up about it loudly enough to be heard very well. And think of the newly accepted use of gendered pronouns in written media. It has become so common to see "she" used instead of only "he" when a person or group of unspecified gender is referred to that I no longer even notice it. Before, though, it felt awkward to read something and suddenly see "she" instead of "he." Turns out all we needed to do was let go of something that never made sense in the first place, and then doing so suddenly lost its stigma.
richard maore
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by richard maore »

I agree that creative media can have a huge impact. However, I think that most people who need to read the book will not. If the book was adapted into a movie, it may be able to reach a larger audience as the time commitment is smaller than that of a book.

The concept of the watch would make a great episode of Black Mirror. For those of you who haven't seen it, every episode is a short story about a type of futuristic technology. It follows characters who use it, and typically shows the pitfalls of that technology. It's very much a warning about being too dependent on technology. The rest of the issues presented in Final Notice are almost all hot topics right now anyway: gun control, responsibility of the NRA, and immigration.
kastle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kastle.html
Latest Review: Going to Wings by Sandra Worsham

Post by kastle »

I think anything you put out into the world has the potential to impress upon a variety of different people who understand your views.
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR »

I feel that the novel could definitely have some long-term potential. If things continue the way they are in the US with gun control this book would be pretty relevant. I agree with some people saying that those who need to read the book won't and I fell that even if they did, the wouldn't take away anything useful from it. A movie version might have more success. I've seen some comments that its all liberal propaganda and even seen some really angry comments about the work so I think that speaks for itself.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”