Views on Immigration

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Re: Views on Immigration

Post by Raya raymond »

sepicatt wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 06:57 Ok, loaded topic here. But I will say my view is to currently not allow immigration right now. We have enough children and people who are homeless and need assistance that already live here (regardless of whether legal or illegal- they are here). Take care of them first. For example, there were currently 25,000 homeless children in NYC right before winter approached. Put your resources into taking care of them. Once you solve that problem then re-evaluate immigration. It's like going to help and spend your money on the neighborhood when your own house and family are falling apart but you aren't taking care of it.
Do you really think every homeless person in every country can be sheltered? Even if it happened that would take some time. I think immigration should continue to be allowed as the issue of homeless children is taken care of both can be done together in a controlled way.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Post by Supergirl1 »

sepicatt wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 06:57 Ok, loaded topic here. But I will say my view is to currently not allow immigration right now. We have enough children and people who are homeless and need assistance that already live here (regardless of whether legal or illegal- they are here). Take care of them first. For example, there were currently 25,000 homeless children in NYC right before winter approached. Put your resources into taking care of them. Once you solve that problem then re-evaluate immigration. It's like going to help and spend your money on the neighborhood when your own house and family are falling apart but you aren't taking care of it.
You do have a point here. However, not all immigrants need or expect government aid. There are quite a number of skilled people who immigrate and become employers of labour and responsible residents. I think disallowing immigration sounds like throwing away the baby with the bath water.
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

Honestly, I think the idea of a country that has literally caused these people to need to immigrate in many cases, by bombing their countries or starting wars there, and then turning around and saying sorry we won't help you, it's a little bit ridiculous. Plus immigrants are so often incredibly hard working people that make a net positive contribution to a society.
Faeryboop
Currently Reading: The Skye in June
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faeryboop.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Faeryboop »

What I don't understand is why people already living on our soil do not go through the process to become a citizen. If someone has been here over ten years, there is zero reason they haven't gone through classes to become a citizen. It's unfair to your children that you bring into this world, as well as for them, to not become citizens and slide around the laws here. It's kind of like common law marriage. If you have been living together in the same residence for so many years, you are considered married under the legal eyes.
Cate Mbevi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cate-mbevi.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Post by Cate Mbevi »

The international government should go a step farther to see what triggers this massive immigration because just accepting continuous immigration can lead to a collapse in a country's economy.
Isabelleva
Currently Reading: The Fountainhead
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelleva.html
Latest Review: Love Hope and Promise by NaylaBurns

Post by Isabelleva »

I don't think that letting immigrants into the country is us or them. We should be able to help the people at home who need help and improve our society, while still helping people fleeing for their lives who need help these people often have no other choice. A well-balanced society should do both.
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

I believe legal immigration is good thing. However, if a particular region is a threat to our country then yes they should be temporarily blocked until it is resolved. We must protect, care, and help our own citizens first. Illegal immigrants are not a good thing and should be stopped.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

I think, with everything else, immigration should be done properly with a lot of checks. Immigrants can positively impact a society and country, but it needs to be regulated properly. Additionally, country leaders should be able to decide who can come to a country and who shouldn't, eg. muslims. At the end of the day, they have to protect their people especially if they see a certain group as a potential threat.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

I think legal immigration should be allowed. I don't think it depends on whether the people here are first taken cared of or not. I haven't seen facts that prove immigration takes away from current citizens. It is a hard topic to have an ideal answer for.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I believe that first and foremost we are all humans. How we entered this country is immaterial. I believe that all the energy spent on the immigration topic would be better served working towards creating a better living environment for everyone. There is a reason why people want to come into the United States. It is primarily because of the terrible living conditions in their own country. If we stop talking so much about the problems, perhaps we could actually help everyone, not just "our people" - whatever THAT means. Thanks for listening.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Ooh... A tough and sensitive question to ask and answer, so I pass on it.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I think a middle ground needs to be found where we can help those in need while at the same time looking out for ourselves. it's all easier said than done but I find that I can't agree with completely blocking legal immigrants. For all we know, that could be one of us in the future.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

Allowing immigration to happen is a no-brainer for me. I personally think it's quite hypocritical to disallow immigrants from coming here when we're all immigrants ourselves. Unless you are 100% Native American, we are all immigrants on stolen land.
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

A very touchy topic because every individual is entitled to their view on immigration. Escaping war or famine or other plague is not really by choice, so at the very least immigrants and asylum seekers need their human rights upheld, and to be accorded the bare minimum human needs of shelter and food. Of course, you cannot force or dictate to the host country on how to provide these needs, but my stand is that the effort should at least be there.
kelvinmwaniki17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinmwaniki17.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by kelvinmwaniki17 »

I think that immigrants should have our help because it wasn't their fault that war erupted in their country and if you were in their shows wouldn't you want someone to help you?

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”