Vitaltech-How much responsibility do they have?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Re: Vitaltech-How much responsibility do they have?

Post by Alicia09 »

I don't think that Vital Tech was responsible at all, because there were many patients who received their final notice and chose to die peacefully. There was even a chapter somewhere in the middle of the book that described a woman receiving her final notice, and instead of trying to seek revenge, she spent her last days saying goodbye to her family, and donating all of her possessions. Then the chapter closed with the author stating that sadly, the FBI and the public would probably never hear about all the people who spent their last days peacefully before receiving their final notice.
In regards to the murders, I think the responsibility fell solely on the murderer because they took advantage of the fact that they would not be alive to face any consequences.
:character-ariel:
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I feel the Final Notice is identical to receiving the same news from a doctor. I am curious whether any statistics exist regarding the use of guns (or other weapons) to commit crimes by those given verbal notice of impending death straight from a doctor. Many times, the patient still goes home to finalize affairs and pass in the comfort of their own home. The patient would have access to weapons at this time as well. I imagine someone somewhere must have committed a similar crime after receiving bad news from a doctor.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

Although the role of VitalTech has been watered down, I think they have the greatest responsibility.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

I think VitalTech should have tested out the final notice in a different way. They could have done it in a more controlled environment somehow. It was good that they started screening their participants, but it still needed to be much more thorough.
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

If we decide to blame Vitaltech, then we must as well go back to the caves because every technological advancement we have ever made has to have side effects. All I can say is that we don't usually blame the mirror when we look at our unsightly reflection on it. All Vijay did is to create a device that brought out our true ugly reflection as a human race. We have to live with the consequences.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
Ruth Frances A
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading: Desperate Season
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-frances-a.html
Latest Review: Lucky by Spare Time Novels
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ruth Frances A »

The company has a lot to answer for, especially after they realized that everything was going crazy. There was more evil than good being done. Dr Patel tried to curb the situation and make adjustments but he no longer had control. Most companies usually have a Board and they should have immediately changed tactics. The information they gave out was potentially deadly so they had to monitor and brace themselves for possible change in plans. But sometimes, matters get out of hand and become difficult to address. I am glad a solution was eventually found.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

I think VitalTech should take responsibility in some of the negative out comes.
Sarah J Callen
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Deserving
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-j-callen.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Sarah J Callen »

To me, this is one of the most interesting aspects of the book. I think legally, they weren't liable (though I am not a lawyer, so what do I know). I think ethically, they did hold some responsibility and there were probably ways they could mitigate some of the harm done by people who received the notice. I did enjoy reading their internal discussions about the feature and grappling with their own responsibility. It made me wonder what I would do in their shoes.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I'm not sure how much responsibility they should really bear. While it's true that they need to be careful with their offerings I don't understand how they could foresee who would cause the problems and who wouldn't. I, myself, don't want to know when my time is up, but it can sure help with "housekeeping".
Chimezie Agbata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

I think VTech did as much as they could do to ensure their products have little negative impact. However they could still do more, some one suggested the 911 and see a doctor option which i do think is a good idea.
koffi Malay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koffi-malay.html
Latest Review: Mryyh for Mafia Men by C.R. Fulton

Post by koffi Malay »

I firmly believe Vitaltech bears some responsibility. If they had conducted their tests properly, they would have discovered the potential stability problems. Like, even for birth control, there are lists upon lists of side effects if you look at any medical drug.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”