The Elderly and Retired; Thoughts from Final Notice

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Carris72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carris72.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Re: The Elderly and Retired; Thoughts from Final Notice

Post by Carris72 »

jessinikkip wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 02:54 From the perspective of living in the US, I'd say the book very accurately portrays how the elderly are treated. I was reading an article just the other day about how someone can be declared unable to care for themselves and set to a retirement home with a "caretaker" over looking their stuff. This is all legally binding and the caretaker is whoever is on the court payroll - NOT family of the elder. Then that caretaker can take payments from the person's bank account, sell their house and car, keep their family from seeing them....
I think it's sad that the elderly are treated this way. In my culture, the scene is different. If you don't want to treat them with love, at least show some respect! You may not live as long as they did.
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR »

I think that his depiction and your description are somewhat accurate with many people. I don't feel that older people are a burden at all but it is all too easy to see how many younger people feel the opposite way. I just returned from a trip to Japan and it was very interesting to see the difference in how the elderly are treated there (extremely respected) versus how they are treated here (somewhat a burden).
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I really think there a far fewer bitter, resentful old people as portrayed in this book. I think the majority of people as they age stop caring much and realize their life's values have been skewed in the wrong direction for the majority of it.
Book Bear
Currently Reading: Earth Alone
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-bear.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B0184OCGAK

Post by Book Bear »

Discrimination and abuse against the older generations in society is prevalent and worsening. There is so much talk of sexism and racism but ageism is rarely discussed. It is covered up and older people are sidelined in society (I live in the UK and see it all the time here). I haven't read all this book yet but feel so strongly about the subject having seen my elderly neighbours suffer through a very poor care system. This book resonates so much with me.
Rain18
Currently Reading: Concealment
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rain18.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Rain18 »

While it's hard for me to fathom the nursing home shooting, the other scenarios seem to be pretty realistic. The elderly are targeted because they are often viewed as easy prey. What with health issues like Alzheimer's, vision problems and arthritis, to name just a few, a lot of our elderly rely on the assistance of others. This is often when you find cases of abuse, neglect, and victimization occurring.

In the area of technology, it's important for people to stay abreast of the rapid changes and remain relevant. It's easier said than done but as the saying goes, "when you stop learning, you start dying." It was great that Vince was open to learning to use a MAC after he'd been a PC user for years.
Rain18
“Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man’s growth without destroying his roots.”
– Frank A. Clark
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

Manali_DC wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 03:49 I think the descriptions of the elderly and retired are very accurately portrayed in the book. The general perception is that the elderly are weak and slow and they don't know much about modern technology. That could be very frustrating to a lot of retired elderly people, who might have actually been in a position of power, management, scientific development- and this is what is shown in the book. The anger and resentment in a such a situation is understandable.
I have to agree with you about how the elderly are portrayed, and the general perception of us. Being elderly, hardly able to walk, I try to walk by the wall out of everyone else's way. I am very conscious of the changes that have occurred as I have aged. I hate it. But the option isn't great, either.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

The book portrayed the elderly as unappreciated in the way they were treated in some instances but overall the elderly characters were very knowledgeable and interesting. The dinner conversations were in depth discussions about topics that are in the news today
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I believe that all of those actions go to show the younger generations disregard towards elders. Nobody wants to get old and be stuck in a nursing home or have to depend upon others to give them the care that they need. But, this is one of lifes cycles so at some point or aanother it is going to happen. But would you want to be in a place that you were totally miserable and somewhat isolated as the older gentleman who shoots up the nursing facility was even if his isolation was self-caused?
I don't think that it justified the teenager pushing the guy down I believe it was one of those things to show you what could happen or how the older guy was feeling as results of that situation.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I think they were characterized accurately. They were active and involved in their communities and politics. They were intelligent and articulate. So many times the elderly are stereotyped - I didn’t feel like they were portrayed that way in this book. I thought it was a Very interesting book
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I do think elderly individuals are perceived to be weaker. I absolutely feel they also fear for their safety. Respecting elders is sadly a thing of the past. Current times in America allow for instantaneous gratification. These days, qualities such as maintaining manners and having patience seem to be nearly obsolete. There is always someone or something more important. We live in a sad time.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

After spending their lives caring for others, the elderly do feel marginalized. They have many concerns. The book brings that out quite well. However, young people also have challenges which make it difficult to satisfy the needs of the elderly. Nuclear families have aggravated the situation. They were taken care of in joint families.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I think, in general, that we live in such a fast paced society that no one feels like they have the time to "forgive" someone for walking too slow or driving too slow, etc. Until our mindset changes and we slow down and appreciate what is important, I don't think that will change
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

kfwilson6 wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 10:31 I absolutely believe that Fleisher depicted society's views on senior citizens quite accurately. Kindhearted people with good morals and values will not push a 70 year old man aside in the store but even the most patient of us find ourselves thinking "why are you walking so slow", "can't you drive any faster", "this isn't that difficult, why don't you understand". If I break my leg and walk around the grocery store on crutches, people will probably have pity and make accommodations. They will not be walking behind me thinking "gosh I wish this lady would hobble a little faster" (typically, and this is just my assumption). It is truly sad that people become so frustrated and outdone with elderly people who cannot help the physical changes they must endure.

On the other side of that coin, frustration, like what Stan's father experienced, can simply come from those physical changes and not from societal views. If you used to run 5 miles every morning and now can't even walk up a flight of stairs, you would likely find yourself frustrated by your own limitations. Not everyone can take this in stride.

Very thought provoking topic that Fleisher presents and you chose to discuss. Hopefully this book will help to make readers more sensitive to the burdens that elderly people are challenged with.

Also-yes I would say that elderly people are viewed as "weaker". They are probably the main target of internet scams. Although this is a reference to mental rather than physical weakness, it is still a concern and puts them on a similar level with children in terms of their naiveté.
I totally agree. Well said! :tiphat:
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

I think this author portrays the situation of the elderly accurately in his book. They are sidelined and other ordinary citizens only seem to care about them when there is visual contact. The young generation nowadays seem to think that old age is very far into the future, and they can generally ignore the elderly, even close family relatives.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
maycherono91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maycherono91.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by maycherono91 »

From the book I got a glimpse on how agism in America is in itself an epidemic. I compared it with how in my country we respect the elderly and senior citizens at large, and I thanked God my parents are here and not in a country where they are stripped off of their dignity.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”