How much responsibility falls on the NRA?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Re: How much responsibility falls on the NRA?

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Quithilion wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 18:58 The NRA are doing what they are supposed to do. Sell guns, to whomever they can.

The responsibility rest either with the government for allowing the NRA to sell to the wrong people or with the people who bought the guns. After all they chose to buy them.

I come from a country that doesn't allow us to own guns and we have no such problems. So I'll have a final notice watch if they need testers.
I'm pretty sure that the NRA does not sell guns.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
azerikaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azerikaj.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by azerikaj »

Sorry, my mistake...I meant to write that FDA can't get into elections like the NRA does. My sentence wasn't clear.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

azerikaj wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 18:29 Sorry, my mistake...I meant to write that FDA can't get into elections like the NRA does. My sentence wasn't clear.
Thank you for the clarification.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

The NRA was bashed throughout this book by the characters and by news reports that seemed to lay it on pretty thick if you know what I mean. So many things get sold, all over the world, without the proper training to operate them, or to even think of them in the way they need to be thought of. I believe the NRA is responsible. I would not have if the NRA wasn't putting millions into stopping citizen-based legislation to better protect the people of society. Businesses have a responsibility to the society in which they are, to the citizens that feed their businesses the very profits they feed their families with. To continually bar any sort of change to a hazardous situation- such as automatic assault rifles- is cause for a foul. Cigarette companies had to pay out billions for people not knowing they were dying from them. Shouldn't the NRA pay out just as much for making sure there are automatic rifles out there that could kill us at any given moment, for stopping the use of background checks to keep guns out of the hands of violent offenders?
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
azerikaj
Currently Reading:

Post by azerikaj »

I agree, Victoria!
azerikaj
Currently Reading:

Post by azerikaj »

No problem, Cat, pronouns can be weak sometimes.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I believe the NRA takes an enormous amount of responsibility in this book. Their blatant twisting of the truth, encouraging people to have guns who shouldn't and demonizing those who are actually heroes makes them one of the biggest villains in the book, and as opposed to the gray waters of the other characters' actions, they are presented with no redeemable qualities here.
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by dhomespot »

I think this question has a yes and no answer. I think the NRA was wrong in targeting seniors, not that seniors are ill equipped to handle guns, but they did not take their medical conditions in to consideration when allowing them to purchase guns. In the book there was a legally blind woman that was allowed to purchase a gun. On the other hand, a gun cannot fire itself. Ultimately, it comes down to who is using the gun.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
azerikaj
Currently Reading:

Post by azerikaj »

Yeah, in a way, both the politicians and lobbyists' behavior crossed the line into cartoonish villainy at times. Yes, I believe that the level of power they wield is most destructive, but they tap into people's anxieties, and...well, the picture presented got simplistic by the end.(Also, with the Senators)
authorswrite
Currently Reading: From Hill Town to Strieby
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by authorswrite »

The NRA does NOT sell guns for sure. I am a believer in the second amendment. I also believe the Founders gave us a Constitution for a reason. The whole purpose of the 2nd amendment is to protect our 1st amendment rights. Guns don't automatically start shooting at anyone. People do. The Founders wanted STATE government to take the lead. Not federal. I am an article V believer. I want state governments to control their states.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I think that a lot of the tragedies present in the book should have been the NRA's responsibility. I do realize that the representatives aren't presented in a very positive light, but it should still be their responsibility.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

Spirit Wandering wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 10:52 I haven't read this work yet. However, from the reviews I have looked at, it would appear that the author argues in favor of gun control, which would put the book in a positon directly opposite the NRA. While I haven't read the book, I am very familiar with the NRA's views and actions. I would argue that the NRA definitely has some responsibility for mass shootings, by adamantly opposing any and all gun controls. Although I would also argue that the societal issues that result in mass shootings go a lot deeper than the efforts of the NRA.

A brief primer about the NRA for anyone who isn't familiar with them. In 2015, the last year for which I could find online their required annual reporting, their revenue was almost $400 million. In the world of non-profit organizations, that makes them a very large one indeed. They are organized as a 501(c)4 non-profit, which designates them as a "social welfare" organization. Personally, I find this designation ironic, given their activities. However, I would imagine that their members feel that the organization's stated mission to "protect" the constitution, particularly regarding the second amendment, would meet the standard of promoting social welfare.
Crikey. Thanks for your detailed reply - this is obviously a very current and emotive subject. As a Brit, I can't believe your gun violence situation that people seem so opposed to doing anything about. It looks mad from across the pond. But your NRA seems to be so powerful that their opposition to change makes the problem insurmountable. I really hope that's not the case, and I have great admiration for the kids who are speaking out and providing alternative political views for the next generation of voters. I haven't read this book yet, but I have a feeling that I might cry my way through it :(
atonykamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atonykamau.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by atonykamau »

I don't really think so because NRA has no control over people's actions
Cvogel5487
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvogel5487.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Post by Cvogel5487 »

sepicatt wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 09:50
kandscreeley wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 20:52 I'm not so sure. When a drug that the FDA has approved turns out to be deadly, people blame the drug manufacturer not the FDA. Isn't this similar?
Interesting thought. I think the problem when it comes to the NRA is how they handle the situation. I don't see the FDA stand there blatantly arguing against issues and making social stances the way they do. I think that is where the problem lies. The whole issue appears to be being approached as a social/rights issue rather then being looked at scientifically if that makes sense. Not saying the FDA never does anything questionable.
I agree with you on this one. I believe that as a non profit organization, the NRA shouldn't be 'buying support from politicians to sell more guns and stop any type of reform. I am not pro or anti gun, but I believe better background checks and mandatory training on how to handle a gun would help in so many ways.
I don't know if the FDA ever uses money to support politicians, but I think the world would be better off if large organizations did not buy our government figures, and they actually relied on the people for support.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

Because it is so easy to access guns in America at the moment, I would say yes. If it were more difficult then I would see the issue as more of a "blame the shooter" mentality, but with gun laws as they are it's becoming more and more apparent that these shooters are getting their guns legally.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”