How much responsibility falls on the NRA?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Re: How much responsibility falls on the NRA?

Post by Alicia09 »

I don't think the NRA was responsible for any of the murders committed. I think that if someone is going to commit a murder, they are going to do it regardless of whether or not they have a gun. Human history has taught us that if people want to kill someone they will use anything: a sword, a sledgehammer, a chainsaw, a pillow, even their bare hands if they are skilled enough. The characters were thinking of revenge because they knew they were going to die soon, so they wouldn't be alive to face consequences. They did not kill someone just because they had a gun. I also think that while the author tried to present both sides of the gun issue, the vast majority of the characters who bought guns used them to kill people, so we really didn't get to see too many regular gun owners who were being peaceful. This contributed to the strong anti gun bias that was prevalent though out this whole book. I appreciate your willingness to bring this question to light, because I would have enjoyed this book more if it wasn't filled with such anti gun bias and blame for the NRA.
:character-ariel:
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

Let's substitute guns for other weapons used to commit deadly acts. Ropes, knives, cars, hands, pillows, etc. Who is held responsible outside of the person(s) committing crimes with those weapons? I'm not necessarily for the NRA advertising discounts to attempt to appeal to the seniors, however, in comparison with my opening sentences, I'm not sure the NRA should be required to take responsibility either.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

Not only the NRA, but all the stakeholders are responsible for the tragic events in the lives of seniors.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I agree that both VitalTech and NRA share the responsibility.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

kandscreeley wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 20:52 I'm not so sure. When a drug that the FDA has approved turns out to be deadly, people blame the drug manufacturer not the FDA. Isn't this similar?
I apologize for my response to this statement a year and a half later, but I wanted to share an experience I had.

About 18 - 20 years ago, I willingly participated in a drug study for psoriasis. The first drug study went smoothly and had no problems; it was never approved by FDA. The second drug study went okay at first but then I had an adverse reaction. I started spiking fevers around 103 - 104 degrees. Plus, I had trouble getting any bleeding to stop after a scratch or cut. When I shared my experience with the study doctor, he told me to keep taking it because I was imagining things. (His exact words, "If you were my daughter, I'd tell you to keep taking it and stop whining.") Basically he was telling me to "shut-up" and give the study good results so it would be approved by the FDA. Not surprisingly, it was. I blame underhanded doctors and drug companies. They are willing to do whatever it takes so they can get their way to make money. FDA approves drugs based on information given to them. Unfortunately, they have no way of knowing if the information given is above board and honest.
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

JessNWheeler wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 13:35 Should the NRA have taken any responsibility for the tragic events presented in this book? Consider the organization’s media appearances and the discounts the NRA was offering. How were the NRA leaders and members portrayed in this book?
Yes, the NRA should take responsibility. They are the ones making sure that enough congressional leaders have been bought so no law can be voted for some gun control.
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

I think this author is right to apportion much of the blame on NRA. If it was only my opinion that was considered, I would lay 99 percent of the blame on them. They are depicted as opportunist who will go to any extremes to promote their wares irregardless of the situation.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
Katherine Powell-Polkey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-powell-polkey.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: 1400501466

Post by Katherine Powell-Polkey »

I think the NRA has a share in the responsibility. They are a major organization that opposes any form of gun control. As a responsible gun owner, I do not have any issue with safe and practical gun control laws.
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

My thoughts are that NRA should be apportioned most of the blame for this mess. In this book the author talks about the numerous gun shows that the NRA held and also the shows were also aired in the Media. When you also add that they offered sales of guns and their accessories at a discount during the period of the shows, it becomes clear that they had a role to play and that is what this author also wanted to portray.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
koffi Malay
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koffi-malay.html
Latest Review: Mryyh for Mafia Men by C.R. Fulton

Post by koffi Malay »

Not quite. The FDA may have given the drug its approval, but they don't actively advertise it. And it is well known that guns can be fatal in this situation.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”