What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Post by SPasciuti »

This is a huge theme in the book and it’s one that has been addressed in a number of other books as well. This is the first time I’ve been introduced to a book that addresses it alongside the conversation of gun control, but I was wondering what you think about this potential technology?

Is it a good idea? Would you want to know? How do you feel about science being able to predict something like this? Would you want scientists to release this information if they ever do learn how to get it?
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

My feelings are summarised in the statement
"Knowledge bred incidence even as it protected us from incidence."
- (a personal quote from me)

Knowing allows us to shield against known dangers but the mere act of knowing creates even more dangers. This is why Adam and Eve were cast out of the Garden of Eden after they ate of the fruit of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Because they knew, they could sin. If i am colour-blind and I say red is green, have I told a lie? No. Why? Because I do not know.
Knowing changes things. However, I think the message of this book is not to fear knowledge but to be aware that all knowledge is a two sided sword- it can protect but it can also harm- and to guard accordingly.
Mwanyalo
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwanyalo.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mwanyalo »

having this knowledge about the technology inputs as see in the book 'final notice',actually is the beginning of wisdom.This is when one can rule out the bad and good in life.If something can be controlled, let it get controlled before it becomes out of control.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

qsusan wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 07:08 My feelings are summarised in the statement
"Knowledge bred incidence even as it protected us from incidence."
- (a personal quote from me)

Knowing allows us to shield against known dangers but the mere act of knowing creates even more dangers. This is why Adam and Eve were cast out of the Garden of Eden after they ate of the fruit of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Because they knew, they could sin. If i am colour-blind and I say red is green, have I told a lie? No. Why? Because I do not know.
Knowing changes things. However, I think the message of this book is not to fear knowledge but to be aware that all knowledge is a two sided sword- it can protect but it can also harm- and to guard accordingly.
I quite agree, and I love your quote too.

Personally, I don't think I would want to know the exact time I'd die. It will be too much of a burden to me and I feel that knowledge alone would suck out whatever joy I'm supposed to experience for the remaining part of my life. I'd rather live with the knowledge that there's a possibility of dying, try to live an enjoyable life and heartily hope that I'll dodge it. Hope really keeps us going.
It's scary enough when death springs up on someone and as they say, "all my life flashed before my eyes." Having that life flashing constantly up until the point it happens will just be too much pressure, not to mention trying to correct all one's past wrong deeds or the potential desire to create new ones (after all, death date is here.)
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
cascal312
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by cascal312 »

I think that this kind of technology would be a huge issue. I personally would never want to know the exact time of my death, because I couldn’t handle the fact that there is absolutely nothing I could do to change it. What if I found out that I was going to die tomorrow? I’d be in a full blown panic, trying desperately to fit in an entire lifetimes worth of experiences before the deadline. With this kind of knowledge, myself and others would become completely unpredictable: making the world as we known it a very dangerous place.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I believe a major purpose of life is the choices we make and the experiences we have as a result of them. These choices are important, both to complete our own karmic lessons and also to help complete the collective experiences that form the Universe itself. I think knowing when we would die would interfere with that process of choice and experience. So, no, I wouldn't want to know when I was going to die, even if it was only a week ahead of time. I might change something in that last week that would alter the path I might have otherwise taken without that information.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
sepicatt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sepicatt.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by sepicatt »

I would not want to know when I will die. I think it would dictate my course of action and my life choices. No, I would not want scientists to release the information. Honestly, if we look at case studies, there are many times people are told they only have a given time frame to live because of illness and then they completely surpass it. I think there is more to dying then science and it can be a mind over matter issue. Psychologically, I don't think its a good idea either.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Given that this is a medical device which tells you only when you will die of natural causes, I think it is a very useful tool. It doesn't seem that different from finding out you have a life threatening illness and the doctor giving you a timeframe for how much longer you will have. It is that concept on a broader scope. The watch may actually prevent your death if it is a natural occurrence and medical treatment would make a difference. We are often so unaware of what is happening in our bodies: why does my stomach hurt, is this a heart attack or heart burn, am I having a stroke? The watch could help circumvent the consequences of the majority of us not having medical degrees. We wouldn't have to ask the question of ourselves, is this worth going to the hospital for? The risk of not going is mitigated because we would know if it is severe enough to warrant it.

If we were talking about some mystical device that can predict your death no matter how it occurs (car accident, war, hunting accident, etc.), that I would not want to have.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

As a Christian, I believe God's timing is perfect. I would not want to know because then I would let the fear of knowing rule my life. Right now I trust that God will take me when he's ready no matter what I know. So I'm just going to live my life to the best of my ability and try not to take anything or anyone for granted.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Post by JessNWheeler »

I would want to know. The optimist in me would like to think that most people would spend their final days in a non-violent way. And yes, if the technology becomes available, I do think that scientist should release it.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

I really don't want to know how much time I have left. I will rather leave that detail to God to decide.
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

I would not want to know when I am going to die. I know I will die, but, I like to be able to hope to live longer than I expect would be predicted. Knowing for sure could be very depressing.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
sunshineprince
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sunshineprince »

I still have so much I have to accomplish in life so I will live that for God to decide
stedape
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stedape.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by stedape »

JessNWheeler wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 12:35 I would want to know. The optimist in me would like to think that most people would spend their final days in a non-violent way. And yes, if the technology becomes available, I do think that scientist should release it.
Well, I believe whether it is released or not it would be on the black market. Its use would proliferate until proper laws are set in place for control purposes.
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

I like the idea of being able to wrap things up. In reality though, I think if we know when we will pass then we will do things differently. We won't enjoy the time simply because we will be counting down until it's over. I'd rather not know and just enjoy time with my family.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”