What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
jhunt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhunt.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Re: What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Post by jhunt »

I am grappling with this question! I'm unsure if I would enable the Final Notice setting, but I do see why people would- I like the idea of being able to prepare and get my affairs in order.
Sandy16
Favorite Book: Lost in the reflecting pool
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandy16.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sandy16 »

The book gave us things to consider. I wouldn’t want to know because I would want to continue doing what I had been doing and enjoying life. The other side of that is that you would want to wrap things up and get your affairs in order. With that being said, I am going to plan on having everything in order that I can and just continue enjoying family and friends until that day comes along.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 743
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I would like to have a little notice so I could make sure I have all my final affairs taken care of. On the other hand, I do not necessarily want to know down to the minute. Thirty days notice would be sufficient for me.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Daisy Deeh
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 109

Post by Daisy Deeh »

huh, i think i would like to know. it will be much better if we all know when we are going to depart from this world?isn't that awesome
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

It's a difficult question and I find myself swinging between 'yes' and 'no'. I think I eventually would want to know so I can plan and enjoy my life accordingly.
Shirley-Tome
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-tome.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Shirley-Tome »

I believe the beauty in life sometimes lies with the uncertainty of knowing when we shall die. It may take the freedom of choosing how to live our lives.
Stephanie Keener
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swisskeener.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo! & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Stephanie Keener »

I would prefer for that type of knowledge to remain with God. He will take each one of us in his time and his time alone. If I had the information on when I would die, I would make decisions and take alternate paths that I may not otherwise have done. This is not how we are meant to live.
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

I think the idea of knowing when one will die can be dangerous in some instances depending on one's personality. It can also give persons the opportunity to make good use of their time. Personally, if it were possible I would choose probably not to know unless it could result in some favourable outcome.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

SPasciuti wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 12:59 This is a huge theme in the book and it’s one that has been addressed in a number of other books as well. This is the first time I’ve been introduced to a book that addresses it alongside the conversation of gun control, but I was wondering what you think about this potential technology?

Is it a good idea? Would you want to know? How do you feel about science being able to predict something like this? Would you want scientists to release this information if they ever do learn how to get it?
I am a strong disbeliever in this concept it is literally impossible to predict when are you going to die, even if you were shot directly to the head, you can still survive, only god knows when people are going to die
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

While it would seem helpful to know when we will die, more so because we all have many issues we would wish to sort out before it's all over, I still have my reservations as this book clearly shows that majority of the people who got their final notices eventually ended up being involved in crime. I think in our current state as a society, it would be safe to let events unfold as they were meant to be and not interfere. We are ill equipped to handle this kind of information.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

Maybe this goes a little into science fiction, but to some extent, it would hurt people, and on the other, it would help. If you know that you will die by x time due to a treatable disease, it would help if you knew and would prevent death. But on the other hand, it would hurt in many cases, as it would cause a lot of damage and panic.
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

Personally, I don't think I would like to know, this is irrespective of also knowing that I could use that short time I would be left with to do some good and also tie up some loose ends.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
gbadegesin Akanni
Favorite Book: The Freedom Building
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by gbadegesin Akanni »

I do prefer not to know or thinking of when it may be because sometimes something you been thinking of or observing on come to pass without you knowing
Ruth Frances A
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading: Desperate Season
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-frances-a.html
Latest Review: Lucky by Spare Time Novels
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ruth Frances A »

The Bible says that the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. We are created in Gods image and therefore abide by His rules and teachings. Mine is a two edged sword answer. No, because it would make my life complicated as I move is a daze and make decisions based on that information. Good and bad ones. I don’t want to live on the edge. The knowledge is a potentially dangerous tool. On the other hand, it would be good to make peace with everyone before I go, and in time, with only a slight chance of making the wrong decisions. Yet all these depend on one’s beliefs and commitment to Gods teachings. To Conscience. Sometimes we fall and have to get up again. Good to know how much time I have and how to use it.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

I would want to know.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”