What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
ReviewsbyElena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewsbyelena.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Re: What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Post by ReviewsbyElena »

I think it's an interesting topic and it certainly has drawn my attention to it.
I have mixed feelings about knowing or not knowing. It could be scary to know and probably depressing but I suppose the benefit of it would be to try and accomplish as much as I can with the time I have. This would give me a sense of purpose and relief.
I would love to read this book!

Post by 0726890034 »

Personally I couldn't like the idea of knowing when I will pass. For instance if am to die tomorrow and am sure of it,definitely I could give up on every single thing I had invested my effort it . Probaby I could even drop out of school. Be all stressed up mostly because I don't feel like I have lived my life to my full potential . Not mentioning the mental break down I could experience in digesting what's going to happen. .
This technology ain't a good idea.
Raksha Rakhecha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raksha-rakhecha.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Raksha Rakhecha »

0726890034 wrote: 17 May 2018, 13:05 Personally I couldn't like the idea of knowing when I will pass. For instance if am to die tomorrow and am sure of it,definitely I could give up on every single thing I had invested my effort it . Probaby I could even drop out of school. Be all stressed up mostly because I don't feel like I have lived my life to my full potential . Not mentioning the mental break down I could experience in digesting what's going to happen. .
This technology ain't a good idea.
This is what I thought.
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles »

I would definitely like it. I could be a little more careless, knowing I won't die until some fixed day. I would make discreet plans that wouldn't leave my loved ones stranded when I'm gone. And, most important of all, I wouldn't be so tensed up about what day it'll be because I know. My family will know too, so they won't be too grieved as opposed to if it happened unexpectedly. So, when will the science machine be invented, please?
CheronT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheront.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by CheronT »

This knowledge has the potential to either cause a person to make wise choices moving forward, or cause a person to be apprehensive about life until he or she dies. I feel as though it would open the door to unnecessary fear. If it were me, I would constantly be on edge wanting to know the manner in which I die. I'd want to know the culprit who contributed to my death. In this case, I would prefer my life to be as predictable as possible. I think it's a bad idea.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

jennyd2003 wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 22:22 In reality though, I think if we know when we will pass then we will do things differently. We won't enjoy the time simply because we will be counting down until it's over.
That's true, I might be too focused on that day approaching and miss out on just living my life without worrying about it. I might also try to do too much and not enjoy my days. I would feel pressure to get as much done, and see as many loved ones as possible.
SoonerKate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soonerkate.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by SoonerKate »

I agree with others who say they would most likely simply be counting down and not truly living life to the fullest.

I wouldn't want to know. What if the day was much sooner than you were expecting? I personally would be constantly counting down and would forget to live life to the fullest. I would much prefer to not know.
jessicawallace6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessicawallace6.html
Latest Review: The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov

Post by jessicawallace6 »

I think a couple years ago, my answer might have been different, but at the age I am now, I would rather just let things run their course naturally.
Also, I was a little unnerved before posting to see that this comment thread had 666 posts. :twisted:
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

I think that knowing when one is going to die for surety is an empowering one. It can better enable an individual and his or her family to determine the type of life they will lead and the places and persons they would want to visit.
VirgoRules2018
Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-virgorules2018.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by VirgoRules2018 »

As a person who likes to plan and prepare for life ....I would like to know; for myself and for my loved ones.
Depending on the circumstances, knowing may guide me towards making safer choices and living a happier life while I have life and breath within me. But then...I am supposed to be doing this either way so the question is "What is the value in knowing when we are going to die?"

Life is precious and while we know this at a mental level...how many of us really ensure that each day is lived as a blessing. Instead, I think we get bogged down by the daily routines and the system that keeps us going through the 8:00am to 4:00pm prison.

Maybe knowing the end can help us to better focus :!: on what activities are important and what ought to take priority. We only have so much time here and therefore we need to make the most of the days and months that we have left.
Bishan patel

Post by Bishan patel »

When someone starts thinking about his death, then a countdown to his life has started.
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

Knowing when you are going to die is both- good and bad. Good because you'll try your best possible to root out all the bad things about yourself and work on the ones you want and live to the fullest of your remaining life. And bad, because there are always two sides to a person- you might end up fretting instead of actually trying to live the most out of your remaining days. Whatever it may be, I like the theme though, it adds uniqueness to the plot.
gurus mind
Currently Reading:

Post by gurus mind »

The knowledge of this(when we will die), has the potential to cause a person to make wise decisions to move forward, yet can cause a person to be apprehensive about life until he or she dies. It opens door to unnecessary fears. We may get lost to the idea of the cause or manner of our death that we may even die thinking before the time. I think it is a good as well as bad idea.
Fuzzy456
Currently Reading: The Spirit of Want
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzzy456.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00N9ZVN90

Post by Fuzzy456 »

I would not want to know when I am going to die. Talk about more stress! I would just rather live life as usual and not worry about trying to get everything done before my life is over.
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

I wouldn't want to know when I'm going to die. I want to enjoy my life to the fullest, without having that to worry about.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”