How do we allow scientific innovation without ruining the world?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Re: How do we allow scientific innovation without ruining the world?

Post by Okafor Prosper »

There are advantages and disadvantages to everything but scientific innovations will always be weaponized and is a threat to the world. Which is sad :(
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

There are advantages and disadvantages to everything, but I think scientific innovation is a threat to the world because it will always be weaponized, which is sad. The only way to stop it from ruining the world is to; firstly, stop all weapon development in every country and I don't think its possible. So....
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This is something I felt was not completely addressed in the book. I was saddened that the older couple spent so much time on the computers once they bought them. Yes, a whole new world was open to them, but they lost out on all the long walks and talks and quiet time they had before.
TashaCrispin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tashacrispin.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by TashaCrispin »

This discussion of the effects of technology has always constituted a giant pool of opinions that cannot be termed as right or wrong. Technology has its pros and cons. It's just that we can't sit and hope that there won't be people who will misuse inventions to do bad. We cannot also depend solely on regulating crime with the law. I think consistently going back to the roots of humanity is what can regulate the bad in our society. Awareness of how our actions affect fellow humans.
hernanma
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hernanma »

There’s an often recurrent expression in the scientific world that “competition drives innovation”. This can of certainty, occasionally be true. However in my active comprehension, the reality most of the time is that competition can be hugely wasteful and damaging to research. We need a new model of working that encourages transparency, openness and may improve research standards. Because far from driving scientific progress, competition is actually taking a negative toll on research output. A new grant application system from the Wellcome Trust is a nice beginning, to which applications will encourage openness by publishing proposals regardless of their success. I have confidence that we can be open about our ideas before we work on them and establish a system where we can embrace our competitors.
burhan patel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by burhan patel »

"curiosity leads to invention innovation" If our curiosity is on positive then way we can get success in innovation without ruining the world. In field of science and technology innovations are great but these are ruining our world we have to think about helpful things such as in field of medicine this will help the biological science to get success in new methods and ways of treatment.
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by labibliofile »

I could say it's all about balance and the way you use it. But even if 30% of the people use it the wrong way, there could be great damage caused. Already, a lot of our personal information is sacrificed, who knows what's next?
"Growth is the essence of life."
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

Every scientific innovation has its pros and cons. I think scientists need to keep the common good of humanity in mind. There could be an advisory body to help take such decisions.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Technology can be exciting and scary. Not long after I read this book, my husband got a watch that not only counts his steps but tells how long he has slept, what type of sleep, and it tells him to move if he has sat still for a certain amount of time. It creeps me out.
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

These two concepts are intertwined. They will always have an effect on one another as long as we will keep on inventing. As the good book says, our minds will be our own cause of destruction. I think we can only strike a balance to slow our self destruction.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

The threat always exists and goes hand in hand with progress. But it cannot be prevented before it happens. In my opinion, the right thing to do is to learn from mistakes and, of course, not to make them again.
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

I don't think we can separate the two. What we can do is find a balance as you propose and then lay down guidelines that must be followed. As it is clear in this book, Vijay had very good intentions when he came up with this invention, and though it was helpful, it was also abused by others. We also need technological advancement so that one can never be given up either
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t think there is any way to stop the innovation, and really, in my opinion, why would you want to? Sure, new technology can be used for nefarious purposes, but so can a rock, and that’s not very advanced. There are so many good ways to use this new information.
Chimezie Agbata
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

For me, i think an invention should not be initiated if the disadvantage out weighs the benefits. Maybe if we have more scientist who are concerned about the well being of humans than wealth creation, we would definitely be having more beneficial and impactful technological advancement.
koffi Malay
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koffi-malay.html
Latest Review: Mryyh for Mafia Men by C.R. Fulton

Post by koffi Malay »

We can if it is regulated properly and not being so corrupt.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”