The Final Notice Option

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Re: The Final Notice Option

Post by anwidmer »

DancingLady wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 09:38 I would absolutely not! My personal reasons being that I believe in living every day like it’s quite possibly my last. If some device was supposed to tell me when I had only a short time left, it would be easy to slip into a mindset of thinking I have time until otherwise notified, when that might not be true, and that would mean wasting today, potentially neglecting the work God has for me because I’m assuming I will still be here tomorrow.

That said, I wouldn’t wear a smart watch anyway. I had a fitness tracker briefly but tossed it over radiation concerns that nobody could ever talk me out of. I just don’t want any device that can receive or transmit information continually remaining within 3ft of my body.
I agree!! Shouldnt we be living like its our last day anyway? Tell those we love how we feel on a daily basis and doing what we can to live a happy and fufilling life regardless of what that means for us personally. The idea of knowi g when i will go is actually more scary to me then not k owing and id rather tey my best to live like its my last every single day
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I don't know how I feel about the option. I personally wouldn't want to know, but I'd like to think there's no harm in allowing people to find out if they wish.
Karl Lars
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Karl Lars »

Christina Rose wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 11:15 A sports watch has been developed by Dr. Vijay Patel that could measure, analyze, diagnose, and predict complex health issues. Dr. Patel has also developed a “Final Notice” option that advises the user of certain death within a user-selected number of days. Is this an option that you would consider for your own sports watch? Do you feel like it was wrong to include the Final Notice option in the original test group for this watch?
Yes. This would be assisted suicide and morally unacceptable. Anything that sanctions suicide is wrong.
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

I think I would want to know. That way I could take care of my final issues and make sure my loved ones feel loved. My father left a mess when he passed away and I would not want to do that to my husband.
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

I personally would not use the Final Notice option if I had one of the watches. But I think the Final Notice itself is a useful option to have in order to say goodbye or get all of your affairs in order. Just like most things, there will be people that take advantage of a good thing to use it for their own gain.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

I personally wouldn't want to know.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I think I would rather hear it from a doctor that my time is running out. It seems so impersonal to reach a final notice by a watch. I also don't think it should have been something rolled out with the alpha or beta test group. I think it should have been something introduced later on. I think it would have been a better option to have it notify the person to reach out to their doctor as soon as possible so then the doctor could gauge how the person handled the news.
Mac :techie-reference:
Rain18
Currently Reading: Concealment
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rain18.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Rain18 »

There is absolutely no way that I would want that feature on a watch. I couldn't imagine going about my day and then all of a sudden seeing this Final Notice message and getting the subsequent phone call from my doctor. I would hope that I would be aware of my health issues before a watch told me that I was about to die.
Rain18
“Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man’s growth without destroying his roots.”
– Frank A. Clark
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I am 100% sure I do not want to know. I would never accept a watch like this one. The Final Notice option is what sets the VT2 apart from other watches. The test group would have been unnecessary if the watch were tracking the same health stats all of the preexisting watches test.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

Both of my parents recently passed away. They both got sick and died within weeks of each other. It was a very difficult and hard time to watch them pass. My siblings and I often wondered which was worse: knowing they were dying and watching it happen, or to have them die in an accident with no preparation time to accept their loss. I think most of us came to the conclusion that knowing in advance was slightly better as it gave us time to accept the inevitable. I think the idea of a "Final Notice" would be preferable as well.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

I wouldn't want to know. Yes, it would give me time to say goodbye, but it would also make my last days full of regret for everything I hadn't had time to do.
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by labibliofile »

I don't think I'd want to know, I would just spend the last few days feeling depressed and constantly anxious!
"Growth is the essence of life."
Gurpreet Arora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Gurpreet Arora »

I would certainly not want to be told by my watch when I were about to die. The thing basically tells me that every day that I do not meet my step goal! Then, on days that I do meet my step goal, I feel like it might just be that day! I would rather live each day, each moment as if it were going to be my last! Well, at least do as much as I am able, enjoy as much as I can, without the looming knowledge that in a said number of days it would be my last. It is an interesting concept, and I would not judge anyone who would want to know when their last day would be, but I would rather not.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

Personally, I would not want to have such an option on my watch.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I don't think I would want to know. I think most of us have hope normally, and knowing that we are going to die within a certain number of days would take hope away.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”