The Final Notice Option

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Emmanae
Currently Reading: The Power
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanae.html
Latest Review: Discover Your Thinner Self by David Medansky
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: The Final Notice Option

Post by Emmanae »

n-dai che wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 06:42
Emmanae wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 17:11 I think I'd opt in if I could set it for 3 months or so. Then I have time to go on a crazy trip, have a full thought out will, and have time to say goodbyes.
I understand your feelings for that. The crazy trip makes me laugh. Well, to make life more meaningful. Nice idea.
Just to be clear = Crazy trip meant backpacking or something, not drugs xD
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I would want to know, but I don't think it's going to be possible to know for sure. If ever, I would like to go the way of Greta Johansson in the story. What a peaceful way to say goodbye!
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

brunettebiblio wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 09:28 I think I would want to know. Then again, maybe I wouldn't. It's so hard to say! I definitely wouldn't want more than a few days notice though...I would worry too much. A few days would give me enough time to do a few last bucket list items and say my goodbyes without giving me time to dwell on it or get depressed, I think.
I agree with you, knowing it for long won't do us any good.
See_B00kReaDs
Currently Reading:

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

DancingLady wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 09:38 I believe in living every day like it’s quite possibly my last. If some device was supposed to tell me when I had only a short time left, it would be easy to slip into a mindset of thinking I have time until otherwise notified, when that might not be true, and that would mean wasting today, potentially neglecting the work God has for me because I’m assuming I will still be here tomorrow.
I definitely agree with you. Let us not waste our day worrying of when our end would be, but rather let's focus on living our life to the full for the glory of God.
See_B00kReaDs
Currently Reading:

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

brunettebiblio wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 09:28 I think I would want to know. Then again, maybe I wouldn't. It's so hard to say! I definitely wouldn't want more than a few days notice though...I would worry too much. A few days would give me enough time to do a few last bucket list items and say my goodbyes without giving me time to dwell on it or get depressed, I think.
Learning about it for long will only create changes in the choices we made, knowing it too soon would create fear, anxiety, depression, etc. One way or another, it will be hard for us to stay happy knowing we will be leaving our loved ones behind.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I think if I knew, I might be more ambitious for a short time. Then I might just get depressed as I count down the days until I die. I could also get anxious and start rushing around, hoping that I will be able to do everything before I die. I wonder, could your day get closer if you start to work yourself to death?
n-dai che
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che »

BriennaiJ wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 19:40 I think if I knew, I might be more ambitious for a short time. Then I might just get depressed as I count down the days until I die. I could also get anxious and start rushing around, hoping that I will be able to do everything before I die. I wonder, could your day get closer if you start to work yourself to death?
Yeah, it sounds sad. I'm gonna die early if I know because of thinking that idea of death. Only God knows.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

See_B00kReaDs wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 00:22
Learning about it for long will only create changes in the choices we made, knowing it too soon would create fear, anxiety, depression, etc. One way or another, it will be hard for us to stay happy knowing we will be leaving our loved ones behind.
Yeah, those who are left behind who will be affected very much. So sad. I can't imagine it. Life will just come to an end. I rely it to God.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

Miriam Molina wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 19:32 I would want to know, but I don't think it's going to be possible to know for sure. If ever, I would like to go the way of Greta Johansson in the story. What a peaceful way to say goodbye!
You have the point as well. Usually people are scared to die that's why there are plenty of people don't want to.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

n-dai che wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 11:33
BriennaiJ wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 19:40 I think if I knew, I might be more ambitious for a short time. Then I might just get depressed as I count down the days until I die. I could also get anxious and start rushing around, hoping that I will be able to do everything before I die. I wonder, could your day get closer if you start to work yourself to death?
Yeah, it sounds sad. I'm gonna die early if I know because of thinking that idea of death. Only God knows.

Yes. We definitely shouldn't be alerted of our deaths, unless we are going to die in like a day or something. It might be nice to have an alert like 24 hours before you die just so you can say goodbye to family and friends.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

BriennaiJ wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 11:52
n-dai che wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 11:33

Yes. We definitely shouldn't be alerted of our deaths, unless we are going to die in like a day or something. It might be nice to have an alert like 24 hours before you die just so you can say goodbye to family and friends.
Exactly! I guess still, it is very hard to do. The best thing to do is to cherish life while we are still breathing. :lol:
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

I think that including the option of the "Final Notice" was somewhat hasty and irresponsible. They should have taken into account a psychological study of the possible reactions of patients, especially if they receive the news in a cold and distant manner, without being accompanied by professionals or relatives. As discussed in the book, they should have lowered the "tone" of the concept, to treat it more as a warning or a recommendation.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

KRay93 wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 10:12 I think that including the option of the "Final Notice" was somewhat hasty and irresponsible. They should have taken into account a psychological study of the possible reactions of patients, especially if they receive the news in a cold and distant manner, without being accompanied by professionals or relatives. As discussed in the book, they should have lowered the "tone" of the concept, to treat it more as a warning or a recommendation.
You have the point, though. I guess Final Notice was just a strong word that it is very hard to cope up.
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

crediblereading2 wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 23:55 Just the thought of knowing would take me out faster than even the prescribed date. I would definitely not want to know. With all this being said, it is the responsibility of everyone to live life to the fullest, taking all possible precautions to sustain life. The rest is in the hands of the Almighty Creator.
I thought about this too. I do not remember the characters name, but the guy who shot up the convenience gas station died prior to his projected final notice. I kept thinking that my anxiety about knowing when would make me have a heart attack. I do not know how some people went so calmly, like the lady who melted down the guns and gave away everything her daughter did not want to charity. I would love to think that would be what I would do, spend time with those I love and get my affairs in order, but I feel like I would just sit there freaking out!
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

kfwilson6 wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 11:31
britt13 wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 16:43
briellejee wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 09:13 I think I would want that to prepare myself and my loved ones. Also, such an option could lessen the anxiety of the user. But who would really want to be reminded that they only have, three of five days to live? and on their freaking watch?
I recently watched the new season of Black Mirror and it has an episode that made me think like your comment. It works with these little things that match you with someone and then tell you how long you will be with that person before you break up. It caused people to check out of the relationship because they knew it was ending. That is the way I feel about the watch for me personally. I feel like I would just get depressed it was ending and want it to happen right away then instead of dragging out for 30 days (or whatever I chose).
I saw that too. Knowledge in advance of an event can cause a self-fulfilling prophecy (Oedipus Rex anyone?). If you are simply told you have 10 days to live, you may take that to me no treatment can extend that period or cure you completely of whatever is causing the alert. VitalTech never really did give a good explanation of how definitive the Final Notice option was. It sounded like "you will die no matter what you do" but if tech is so good it can tell you you are dying, then it's also pretty advanced in terms of curing what ails you.
Yes! That is something about the story that I thought was a bit underdeveloped. I wanted to know more about the watch. I know that it is not real, and that may have been why he steered clear of that (to keep the feeling that this is in current, or almost current society), but I felt that it really could have added some interesting facets to the story. When I first read about the book I thought it was going to be a bit more futuristic with more focus on the watch. I think that was part of why I was pretty disappointed. On another note, I absolutely love your insights!

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”