The Final Notice Option

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Re: The Final Notice Option

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

It's no different than the doctor telling a patient when he/she would die. It's actually better than that, because it can be monitored by many other people and in case of a mentally disturbed patient, police surveillance may be done. I think it's a great idea of using technology.
bello Juwairiyyah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by bello Juwairiyyah »

i wouldn't want that on my watch, because i believe is only God that can take my life when the time is right by him. so having such watch is a total waste of time because it a man made, and it cant ever stand with the original creator.
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

Swara Sangeet wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 23:01 It's no different than the doctor telling a patient when he/she would die. It's actually better than that, because it can be monitored by many other people and in case of a mentally disturbed patient, police surveillance may be done. I think it's a great idea of using technology.
I agree with you on the fact that the positives could outweigh the negatives. I would, however, have liked if the first test roll-out would have had more of this set up, with the collaboration between doctors, police, and etc. I do have concerns over data privacy and what some would do with that information. Thanks for your input, it was nice to read and think about.
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I think I would want to know. I just would. It would help me do all these things I am not doing right now. It might turn out to be a boon.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

bello Juwairiyyah wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 05:23 i wouldn't want that on my watch, because i believe is only God that can take my life when the time is right by him. so having such watch is a total waste of time because it a man made, and it cant ever stand with the original creator.
I would really like to know more about your perspective on this. The watch is just providing a health alert. It isn't causing death and doesn't necessarily have to be used to prolong death if the user chooses to take it as a warning to get his final affairs in order but never seeks out medical treatment.

I'm just not sure how this is not in line with your belief that God is the only one who can take your life. The watch doesn't define or interfere with God's will.

By your belief system is it acceptable to visit a doctor and take medication? If so, can you explain the difference between that and the watch's Final Notice? Thanks. Just looking for some clarity.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

VictoriaMcMillen wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 08:33
Swara Sangeet wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 23:01 It's no different than the doctor telling a patient when he/she would die. It's actually better than that, because it can be monitored by many other people and in case of a mentally disturbed patient, police surveillance may be done. I think it's a great idea of using technology.
I agree with you on the fact that the positives could outweigh the negatives. I would, however, have liked if the first test roll-out would have had more of this set up, with the collaboration between doctors, police, and etc. I do have concerns over data privacy and what some would do with that information. Thanks for your input, it was nice to read and think about.
You would definitely want to be cautious of who received the data. Although collaboration between VitalTech's team and the users' doctors could be great, in order to increase patient privacy, no person at VitalTech really even needs access to the watch's specific readers. If a user gets a Final Notice, the data could electronically be transmitted to the doctor on file for that user and then only the doctor and patient need know about it. Further interference wouldn't be required unless the doctor or mental health professional or even a family member developed concern about the user's mindset.

Another concern with privacy is who will see the alert when the user receives it. If he is sitting at a family dinner, the watch could give the alert with everyone at the table able to see it. The user would have to be cautious how exposed the watch is or it would need some type of privacy setting where it didn't light up unless the user pressed a button to activate the screen. You wouldn't want any surprises. This could also present another issue I mentioned in another post. The timing of the Final Notice could be very detrimental to the user. If you are taking the watch off right before bed and check to see if there is a notification, you might feel very differently than if you are playing with the grandkids or visiting someone in the hospital or having a romantic dinner with your spouse.
toribyers13
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toribyers13.html
Latest Review: What the River Wants by Arthur Byrd

Post by toribyers13 »

I don't think I would want this option on my watch, I would be so anxious about it notifying me!!
Kelaine
Currently Reading: The Left Hand of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelaine.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Kelaine »

sepicatt wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 06:48
brunettebiblio wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 09:28 I think I would want to know. Then again, maybe I wouldn't. It's so hard to say! I definitely wouldn't want more than a few days notice though...I would worry too much. A few days would give me enough time to do a few last bucket list items and say my goodbyes without giving me time to dwell on it or get depressed, I think.
I totally see your point on this. Curious what you would think if the final notice option actually sends the message to your doctor so they could tell you rather then you getting it yourself. Kind of how doctors give you test results.
When I first read the part about your Doctor getting the notice I thought, "Yeah, that's the way to do it, then you're not anxious about the information just randomly popping out at you one day when you're eating your lunch!" But then I reconsidered. I would just be waiting, all day, every day, terrified that I would get a random phone call from my Doctor instead.

I don't think I could do it. I don't want to know when I'm going to die. I've just accepted that it's going to happen at some point, and I'm going to live my life the way I see fit until that day comes. (And I'm going to hope that day is very far away.)
Kelaine

Post by Kelaine »

ostercl wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 15:48 This is not a feature I would want for myself - I have enough anxiety about not getting things done on time as it is. Imagine if I had a set date and time! Although I can see the allure of this feature, there are many things out there that are better left unknown.
This is exactly how I feel! I'm already anxious about time for everything else. If I knew when I was going to die I might just give up on living right then and there when I found out; and how would I feel knowing I was wasting my last days in misery and despair, unable to do anything about it?
Nope, nope, nope. It's the surprise death for me!
Kelaine

Post by Kelaine »

ericahs wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 11:12 The whole premise reminds me of a Black Mirror episode, but instead of knowing when you would die, you found out how long your relationship would last. It seemed the better relationships ignored the timeline, I wonder if the same idea applies here.
I thought of that episode, too!
And where some of the longer relationships were miserable all the way through, some of them, as you said, ignored the timeline and seemed to be decently happy.
That episode also looks at the concept of changing the timeline just by knowing it, and reducing the amount of time by trying to cheat the system. Near the end, the main characters break away from the entire system anyway. I'm wondering if that's the same idea that would apply here - that even with the Final Notice option, people would choose to not use it once they found that it altered the way they lived rather than defining the time they died.
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

jessinikkip wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 02:51 I found the idea of a Final Notice too frightening to want in my own watch. I wear the Garmin branded version of the FitBit now, and I've seen how easy it is to manipulate that. It has a pulse monitor and if I move my arm a certain way, it reads like I have no heart beat when really I'm just resting my wrist against the arm of a chair. How many ways could a final notice go wrong?
This!! Technology and user error! I'd give myself a heart attack every time something went wrong!
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

At the outset, let me bring forth and delineate the possible consequences to the health and overall outlook of anyone whose days are numbered. Would not anyone like to just think of death as just like a thief in the night that would just come when it comes? At least, life will be clear of any tinge of fear and anxiety until the last minute of one's lifespan. If I have to have this Final Notice Option, I would prefer to have none of it. Let every effort of the day be devoted to living, and never to dying. Of course, this is not to say that we should be averse to these so-called pre-need memorial plans or to the writing of the will, but these are to be held in store without any specified date of effectivity such as what some sports watch would designate.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
n-dai che
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che »

sozburn09 wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 10:19 As a mother with young children I think I would want to know. Not only would if give me time to say goodbye but also to create a few more memories with them. This would also give me time to make sure things are in order for my family.
I can relate to this other view. You are right! To make things in order and to have the best bonding with the family. Nice thoughts! :D
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

sozburn09 wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 10:19 As a mother with young children I think I would want to know. Not only would if give me time to say goodbye but also to create a few more memories with them. This would also give me time to make sure things are in order for my family.
I understand your point as well as preparing the children for their own lives ahead without a mother. :(
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che »

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 07:50 At the outset, let me bring forth and delineate the possible consequences to the health and overall outlook of anyone whose days are numbered. Would not anyone like to just think of death as just like a thief in the night that would just come when it comes? At least, life will be clear of any tinge of fear and anxiety until the last minute of one's lifespan. If I have to have this Final Notice Option, I would prefer to have none of it. Let every effort of the day be devoted to living, and never to dying. Of course, this is not to say that we should be averse to these so-called pre-need memorial plans or to the writing of the will, but these are to be held in store without any specified date of effectivity such as what some sports watch would designate.
Your idea seems good.
"Let every effort of the day be devoted to living, and never to dying." This idea makes me realize of something, Thanks. :tiphat:

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”