Did your views on guns change?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Did your views on guns change?

Post by Scott »

A major theme in this book is gun control and the dangers posed by guns. I know the author cares about the issue of gun safety.

Did reading this book change your views on guns or views on gun control at all? Why or why not? If your views did change, in what ways did they change?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

My thoughts on gun control haven't really been changed. I think that we need to be careful who can get guns, have background checks on all sales (especially private sales), etc. What this book does more for me is talk about the dangers of innovation without considering the consequences. Like that Jurassic Park quote, "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should."

Whether it's knowing when you'll die, artificial intelligence, or something else, the potential for innovation causing life-changing world-sized problems, is becoming more and more possible.
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

My perception towards guns did not really change, I still see it as a tool that if not properly handled can kill. The book gave me more insight about guns
Lennycat
Currently Reading: finding nary
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennycat.html
Latest Review: Saving Nary by Carol DeMent

Post by Lennycat »

I agree with AbbyGNelson. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. My views on guns haven't really changed. I still believe that potential gun owners must have the proper training to handle a firearm and go through a stringent background check.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

So far in my reading, my views on guns and gun control have not changed. If, by the off chance they do change, I’ll be sure to add an updated response.
I do agree with those that posted before me, about how we should really stop to think about the possible outcomes of putting into action certain controversial technological advances. There are some things better off left alone.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I haven't finished reading this yet, but I really doubt that my views will change. And like the above posters commented, I'm much more interested in the technology and how it effects its users. Some things are indeed a slippery slope!
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron

Post by Izesicle »

My views are likely not to change. I believe that gun ownership should be carefully vetted and laws should be implemented consistently.
I agree that with all innovation and technology progress, the impacts should be monitored.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Post by JessNWheeler »

My views haven’t changed. If anything, my views were further confirmed. However, I hadn’t considered the danger of armed senior citizens, especially when they realize that they are nearing the end of their lives. The most dangerous people can be the people who feel that they have nothing left to lose.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Fati-bola
Currently Reading: Rogue Captain
Bookshelf Size: 329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fati-bola.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Post by Fati-bola »

Absolutely. The author spoke my mind except how to control use and ownership. Modernisation has brought the good and the bad, the need for self defence and the need to attack for selfish reasons. For, instance, how can the underground manufacturers be stopped? It's similar to the unending fight against narcotics. I'm really perplexed and at my wits end on what to do. In developing countries, the law enforcement agents have been known to lease guns and ammunition to robbers! So you see, the dilemma is upon us all.
Iamsofia
Currently Reading: Achieve Your Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamsofia.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Iamsofia »

My views have not changed because my thoughts were only reaffirmed. I really enjoyed reading the book but at the same time the author's thoughts are included in writing the book which others may not agree with
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

I still don't think just because you can, you should. Not everyone should own a gun..
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino

Post by jessinikkip »

I very much agree with the first post that the quote of "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should" definitely rang out to me while reading this novel. While it's a great invention to allow people their "Final Notice", should you? While yes, it's great to get those affairs in order, why would you want to give someone that power that no matter what they do, they'll just die anyway. And then my other thought - what if it's wrong? What if it gives notice to someone that it isn't right? Then what? This book only served to reaffirm not only my view on guns but on technology as well. It was an interesting take and seemed very relevant to the time we are living in right now, where what we need is more knowledge of who is armed and more control of who can be, instead of just passing out guns like they're no more dangerous than pepper spray.
BookInspector300
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookinspector300.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by BookInspector300 »

Definitely not,my views haven't changed. I mean just think of the calibre of people that could have access to a gun and how much people are going to get hurt in the process. Not everyone should own a gun. Also, regards to the technology, I feel it's just another case of scientists playing God. While it's good that they get to tie up loose ends, please note that those loose ends may not always be the good kind.
Smaug
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smaug.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by Smaug »

This book did not change my views on guns. But then again I was already pro gun control and think there should be stricter regulations. I personally don't want one, but that doesn't mean other people can't be responsible gun owners.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

Izesicle wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 13:25 My views are likely not to change. I believe that gun ownership should be carefully vetted and laws should be implemented consistently.
I agree that with all innovation and technology progress, the impacts should be monitored.
I totally agree. My views remain the same. It's almost impossible to stop people from getting guns (depending on the country), hence, the best that can be done is gun ownership should be carefully vetted. Furthermore, advancement in innovation and technology is inevitable. The law should constantly evolve to cope with the rapid changes.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”