Did your views on guns change?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
NCGirl76
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 6

Re: Did your views on guns change?

Post by NCGirl76 »

My view on guns hasn't changed. I do and always have felt stricter control on assault weapons needs to be in place, they have stricter policies on hand guns and should be the same if not more so for assault weapons. I do feel people should be able to own guns with proper and responsible care. If you take away guns most criminals, not all, but most do not own a gun legally. So taking away guns isn't going to solve that problem. There are exceptions to the rule as far as teens using parents guns, etc. Just look at the bombings this week, bombs were used not guns. It's a very touchy subject I know. But as a victim of crime to my person twice survivor, and I hated guns before. I changed my view years ago, after being assaulted and my home invaded with me and baby alone coming home to that. You want to be able to protect yourself if needed and you don't know if or when you will have to. Guns need to be respected and we all need to be educated on guns.
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

My views remain the same. No guns. Not in homes, not in schools, not in cars, not in young families, not in older families, not in senior’s homes, not at meetings, conferences, assemblies, marches,...sadly, people with guns have shown they cannot be trusted...
n-dai che
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che »

R-g-R wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 09:37 My views remain the same. No guns. Not in homes, not in schools, not in cars, not in young families, not in older families, not in senior’s homes, not at meetings, conferences, assemblies, marches,...sadly, people with guns have shown they cannot be trusted...
People triggers to kill because they have guns. I guess, no guns-less crimes-less killings-less orphans.
R-g-R

Post by R-g-R »

n-dai che wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 21:31
R-g-R wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 09:37 My views remain the same. No guns. Not in homes, not in schools, not in cars, not in young families, not in older families, not in senior’s homes, not at meetings, conferences, assemblies, marches,...sadly, people with guns have shown they cannot be trusted...
People triggers to kill because they have guns. I guess, no guns-less crimes-less killings-less orphans.
True...and a better world...surely?!
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

Yeah right! But we are just dreaming because it will never happen to halter the use of guns. NO GUNS-REMAINS "WHAT IF."
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

Tbh, my views will never change, america needs control of it's guns. It needed gun control about 50 years ago.
R-g-R

Post by R-g-R »

n-dai che wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 21:46 Yeah right! But we are just dreaming because it will never happen to halter the use of guns. NO GUNS-REMAINS "WHAT IF."
I agree it seems like that’s the case in the US. I live in Australia and remember the gun amnesty after our last significant gun massacre, when many, many guns were handed in and collected by the government. I think there was a ‘buy back’ scheme, so people received money for handing them in. I am impressed by the current young people in the US standing up for more gun safety and removal of automatic weapons (at very least). Surely these steps should be able to happen?! Surely greater safety should be supported by all sides of politics and all people!
bookreviewer2016
Currently Reading: The Silent Corner
Bookshelf Size: 2910
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer2016.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by bookreviewer2016 »

R-g-R wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 23:58
n-dai che wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 21:46 Yeah right! But we are just dreaming because it will never happen to halter the use of guns. NO GUNS-REMAINS "WHAT IF."
I am impressed by the current young people in the US standing up for more gun safety and removal of automatic weapons (at very least). Surely these steps should be able to happen?! Surely greater safety should be supported by all sides of politics and all people!
Yes, I'm also impressed with the efforts of the young people to enact change. I was also happy to hear about Dick's Sporting Goods's decision to not sell assault weapons. I always thought it was ridiculous that a teen could buy an assault rifle without any background check. I know it's true because my son bought an AR-15 and a AK-47 right after he turned 18. He didn't have to do anything to buy either one. No background check, just a bill of sale. My son is not a criminal or a violent person. In fact, he's now serving in the U.S. Navy, but the idea that he could obtain the guns so easily scared me. Hopefully, they will do something about this problem soon on a national level. No one needs these types of weapons except the police and military. They are overkill for hunting and self-defense, and anyone who says that's why they need one is lying, in my opinion.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

R-g-R wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 23:58
I agree it seems like that’s the case in the US. I live in Australia and remember the gun amnesty after our last significant gun massacre, when many, many guns were handed in and collected by the government. I think there was a ‘buy back’ scheme, so people received money for handing them in. I am impressed by the current young people in the US standing up for more gun safety and removal of automatic weapons (at very least). Surely these steps should be able to happen?! Surely greater safety should be supported by all sides of politics and all people!
Ahh, i see the idea of this book. It is very sad that due to the greed of money people will created something that either it helps or it certainly do harm. So sad for this wild generation. How much more for the next? :!:
Felice01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Felice01 »

No my views on gun control did not change people are using guns to hurt others and innocent lives and that is just horrible. Causing people to live in fear daily. Children don't know if they will live to see 18 and that number is getting lower and lower.
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

I would rather say, NO. A greater focus should be on addressing the psychological issues that leads people to vent their violence on others. If guns are taken away, there will be many other killing instruments out there to substitute guns. And there may be no way to trace or control these other killing tools. At least with guns, the perpetrator needs to thing long and hard about forensic evidence.
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

Sptlightstar wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 09:55 I'll admit, I was a bit freaked out by the notion that everyone around me could potentially be carrying a weapon, but all that did was make me believe more in my conviction that guns, as they are today, are not what our Founding Fathers had in mind when they wrote the 2nd Amendment. I think the demonstration at the NRA at the end of the book proves the point: guns are never the answer. Take away all the guns in that room, and no one would have been killed, let alone hurt. Even people who are trained in gun safety make mistakes. There was a news story a year or so ago about a young boy who was killed at the shooting range because his father slipped up for a moment on gun safety. That should go to show people guns are dangerous no matter how much training you have.
Agreed. There was literally a news story like a week ago about someone doing a gun safety demonstration and shooting someone. They are made to injure or kill (even when hunting animals).
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

I am not sure exactly what you mean. Are you saying you do not think that we could ever be gun free in this country?
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

We cannot halter the use of guns in our country because it was already been used long, long time ago. So, gun free country remains "what if. "
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

britt13 wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 15:23 I have always been anti-gun. I think people rely too heavily on the second amendment and it needs to be changed. I hate the argument that criminals will still get guns because DUH criminals will always keep doing what they are doing. I do not think that means we need to arm more people. Even in this book, it talks about how a good person with a gun can harm others while trying to help.
The reality is that America is a place built on the use of guns, hence why the second amendment was created. The use of guns and other weapons have been used over hundreds of years to conquer other peoples. Until we become an evolved species that understands power and control isn't everything in a society, guns will not be so coveted and protected. With society conditioned in fear of guns and not having a gun, for many generations, has caused this problem we now face. I would agree with you, but our family uses guns for hunting or we have since the trade days when we acquired guns. Hunting can even be done without guns, and I wouldn't mind that. They are too loud and cause lead pollution in our water and animals. Thanks for your comment!
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”