Did your views on guns change?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Re: Did your views on guns change?

Post by Jgideon »

The book did not change my view about guns. I still believe that guns are useful if they are used for the right purpose e.g. to curb crime. However, if they are mishandled they can be the worst nightmare for humanity.
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR »

My view on guns really stayed the same. I feel like the book just helped reaffirmed my personal beliefs toward the matter.
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

My views did not change, as I already agree that stricter gun control is a good thing, but if someone did not already agree with the author they may be completely turned off to the idea of stricter gun control by the lecture like feeling of some of the presentation of information in the book. A more story like telling may affect someone closer, but this story is packed with unnecessary politically charged rants by characters whose opinions are no more informed than the average American.
smc19
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 72

Post by smc19 »

My views on firearms did not change. This fictional tale could not inform anyone except the totally uninformed. To blame any object for the failure of a human being is without logic or substance. If one were to follow that line to a logical conclusion, there would be a campaign to ban all motorized vehicles, which, by the way, is the leading cause of death in members of our great society between the ages of 16 and 24. The tale in this book does raise the inevitable pursuit by a dedicated small percentage of the population to pervert with unintended consequences many good inventions. Haven't see one in marketing lately? Read the warning label on a microwave: Do not attempt to dry your cat. Restrictive firearm laws impact only the law-abiding citizens. To believe otherwise renders one as part of the problem.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I think the author and I share a lot of the same views on gun safety. So, reading this book just reaffirmed those views for me rather than changed them.
OwenSheehan013
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by OwenSheehan013 »

No. It did not. Guns as always have been used to protect or harm others. It will never change. Guns do not kill people. People that hold the firearm that have the intent to use it for their own use is their problem. People hold the gun and choose to pull the trigger. It could be good or for a bad reason. This is just a dated opinion.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

I agree with what everyone else has said on here. I'll always be a supporter of gun safety because it's just common sense. We need fundamental gun laws that protect us and follow suit with other developed countries.
Jessica Reehl
Currently Reading: Goodnight Irene
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-reehl.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jessica Reehl »

The author did a great job of researching and presenting the issues around the gun debate. While I am pretty well versed on these already, this book didn't change my ideas about guns. I still feel like we should be regulating them much more stringently and eliminating high capacity rifles. The book did present the truth that guns in the hands of anyone in a fit of passion is a truly terrifying thing.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

My views haven't changed. I think stricter gun policies are in order and this book goes more or less between those lines.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
ems2
Currently Reading: Political Dirty Trick
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ems2.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by ems2 »

I have always hated guns, but I wouldn't trample a person's right to own one.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

My views on gun control were not changed. It was interesting how the author presented his case. I did really like the twists at the end...and since I don't want to post a spoiler...I'll leave it at that!
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

My views on guns remain unchanged. I am not in favour of using them.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

My views haven't changed since I basically agree with the author. I agree that guns should be harder to get.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

I'm only half-way through the book, thus far my views have not changed. I have always been fairly open-minded on the issue; though I feel that they are hazardous when in the wrong hands.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

This book did not change my views on guns. I already agreed with what the author was saying, but it brought up new issues for me to think about. For example, the idea that police have to assume that everyone they come into contact with has a gun which makes them more likely to make rash decisions is something I hadn’t considered. I feel like someone who is strongly pro gun might start to consider new issues while reading this book, but they probably won’t change their overall belief. At the end of the day, this is fiction, and it is dramatized to some extent.
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”