Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I just finished reading this book and found it to be very interesting and fast-paced. I thought the topic was very timely and the ethical issues discussed by the characters were thoughtful and brought a lot of different viewpoints into the discussion. I also liked the author’s writing style.
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

"Final Notice" by Van Fleisher is an intresting book. The storyline is very good and keeps you hooked on till tje very end.I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.
---
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

jessinikkip wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 18:23 I am about 25% of the way through the novel right now, having almost immediately chosen to download it after reading what it was about. The part that I liked the most is the interaction of Vince and Trudi. They very much are just a normal couple going about their day in this crazy world of this novel, wondering who is right. The descriptions of people just really brings the characters to light for me. What's rubbing me wrong though is that the NRA is involved in this whole "Arm the Seniors" campaign to the point even assisted living places are taking their residents, and then NOT keeping up with who buys anything. It's like they want their senior residents to start shooting up the place.
I wonder what you thought of the ending? I thought it was interesting how some of the characters changed their minds, and how a few found out first hand what can happen in a social situation. (Trying not to put a spoiler out there...LOL!)
evan1995muniz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evan1995muniz.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by evan1995muniz »

I loved the idea of reading about peoples journey after they find out exactly what day that they will die. The gun violence issue was a bit tough for me as i have been involed in ia bad situation where my friend was victim to one of these shootings. So i disliked that aspect and wish there was a bit less enphasis on the gun war stuff.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

The plot of the story is very relatable in this present day world where there is a gun culture. I think this book will leave everyone with thoughts.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
tazdevil
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tazdevil.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by tazdevil »

Final Notice was the best relatable book I’ve read (so far). It creatively, and quite accurately, connects to the way things are in the political and societal scheme today by using a multitude of perspectives. There is also a lot of jumping around in times and perspectives, so if you are someone who enjoys following an almost scattered but not too scattered storyline, then this is perfect. It is perfect for also leaving people wondering what’s to come next. Overall, it’s a great book that gives insight into today’s society, with a sprinkle of bias and creativity.
Analeigh
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-analeigh.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Analeigh »

lori_parker2003 wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 09:26 Had trouble getting through the few pages they give to check out the book. Found it slow and I am a pro-gun person so this biased my view I think. Probably will not buy the book to read in full.
I did take the time to read this book and it definitely has left leaning themes and bias throughout the book. The author tends to villainize any gun owner.
MistyH77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by MistyH77 »

It was an interesting book. It took me a little while to get into it. I did think it was biased. I am not as liberal as the author seemed to be. I am pro-gun but I am open minded to different opinions. That being said I found the authors take on how people would react to a final notice intriguing. It would have never crossed my mind that people would be inclined to kill people if they knew they were about to die.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

I am only a third of the way in, but I do not understand all of the reviews that have given this book a 4/4. I highlight errors as I go along, and though I know that we only have to keep track of 10, I highlight all I see.

I hit 10 errors by the end of the first chapter.
I just started chapter 11 and am closing in on 100 errors.

...and even the official review mentions that the book is "well edited." Am I reading the same novel?

The premise is intriguing, and the book has so much potential. I just wish it had been revised better.
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

I read the sample, and felt it was a little bit slow to start. I understand it's a political thriller, and politics can be a little bit boring for me, but I still didn't feel there was much of a hook to hold my interest. Also, reading the "Forward" rather than the foreword left a bit of a pale impression of the overall editing. I don't think that this book would be a good fit for me, but the premise is still somewhat interesting.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I read the book and rated it 3 out of 4 stars. It is an interesting book and I couldn't leave until I had finished reading in one go.
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine »

I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars. I loved the storyline and was hooked after reading the description. However, I noticed a lot of errors before I even got halfway through the book. The number of errors drove me up the wall. Also, a lot of the dialogue seemed poorly written to me. Interactions between characters felt like a badly written play.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I enjoyed the book. I agree with the author on a lot of things and I admired him for bringing issues to the forefront, although I thought he was a little heavy-handed about it at times.
Brandy C
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-c.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Brandy C »

I felt the book was hard-hitting and in-your-face. A lot of controversial hot topics were addressed. My favorite part of the book would have to be the attention brought to the treatment of our elders. America is very far behind in the correct treatment of elders. The disrespect that some show to our elders is disgusting! I also liked the interaction between Vince and Trudi.

I didn't like the overall feeling of biased. Yes, I know its fiction, but it plays into societies fears. For example, I didn't like the misrepresentation of pit bulls. Pit bulls were not bred to be aggressive and fight. Traditionally these dogs were bred to bite and hold large animals such as bulls. Later, society started breeding them to fight other dogs. As with any other breed, the dogs respond to how they are raised. I personally have a female red nose pit that is a big teddy bear. Although she is very protective of our family, family pets usually are, she is also very lovable.

Another aspect that bothered me is the issue of gun control. Yes, I agree there should be an overhaul on gun safety. There should be stricter laws that prohibit criminals and anyone on a watch list from obtaining guns. However, I felt the story portrayed gun owners and the NRA, as a whole, evil. My family is pro-gun and we do own several guns. We use these for hunting and protection if needed! Yes, we went through the proper channels and our guns are registered. Just because we own guns doesn't mean we will end up as mass shooters. I did give it 3 stars due to the clear writing and engrossing storyline.
”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it” Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
Brandy C
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-c.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Brandy C »

MistyH77 wrote: 05 Jan 2019, 11:52 It was an interesting book. It took me a little while to get into it. I did think it was biased. I am not as liberal as the author seemed to be. I am pro-gun but I am open minded to different opinions. That being said I found the authors take on how people would react to a final notice intriguing. It would have never crossed my mind that people would be inclined to kill people if they knew they were about to die.
I felt it was biased also! We are a pro-gun family as well. I also try to stay open-minded and consider other opinions. However, the author's feelings are very biased. I know its a work of fiction but his personal feelings are evident. I also felt it plays on societies fears as a whole.
”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it” Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”