Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Gsamour
Currently Reading: I'll Point to Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gsamour.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Post by Gsamour »

I wasn't overly impressed with the sample I read. Although I am open to hearing about/ discussing multiple political views, when I read I typically enjoy nonfiction novels about romance. I do think the book makes a good point by making people think about what they would do if this was their last day. Overall, I don't think this is the book for me.
Ayomaamianda
Favorite Book: Twisted Threads
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomaamianda.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ayomaamianda »

Have finished reading the sample but it did not interest me and i don't think am in for this one. Being able to tell when you will die sounds boring.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

For me, Final Notice was a pretty decent book but I wouldn't go crazy over it. I feel like it wasn't exactly as focused as I would have liked it to be. I would recommend it though.

Personally, I found it extremely hard to get through the first half of the book. It was repetitive, there were way too many characters, and scene changes, the even the chapter breaks were awkward. I think the thing that really swayed me most from really liking the book was the overall content of the book which housed my expectations. I had assumed this book would be more vigilante versus criminals, or criminals vs FBI. I thought I would be reading a close account of a certain character of few, but instead, I was reading SEVERAL characters' stories, without getting attached to any one of them because there were just too many.

The second half, though, I did start reading faster and I actually enjoyed reading the most of it. The ending was also well thought out and well done. It just tripped me out that I had to wait until halfway through to actually start enjoying the story, and for it to feel like an actual story and not a textbook/play/summary hybrid.
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

I liked the story. The mesage of the author was clear and it related tl what is happening in real world time.
FilmStar
Currently Reading: Rich and Pretty
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-filmstar.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by FilmStar »

Overall I give the book three out of four stars. The premise was interesting in a watch being able to tell you when you will die and different people's reactions to it. I dock it one star because I felt like it was one-sided in the political issues and that it belittled conservatives. I believe if you want to appeal to a wide audience, you need to include both sides of the argument fairly. Also, some of the situations were outrageous like what happens at the end in terms of the NRA convention. I like how it was written and I cared about the characters and was able to relate to them. I recommend it.
paigegreenpurba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigegreenpurba.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by paigegreenpurba »

I was very interested in the topic of a new fitness watch determining the time of death and the varying reactions people might have to that news. I was so disappointed after just a few chapters when I realized that this was more of a diatribe pushing the author's personal agendas against politics, the NRA, and whatever else he felt like criticizing. I like to finish what I start, and so I finished this book, but it was a struggle from beginning to end. There were many times when the author used the same "joke" repeatedly, such as when someone entered the room and referred to everyone as "guys", and the author made a point to say that there were also women in the room. I moaned aloud frequently.

Outside of just my personal distaste for what the topic turned out to be, the author also did just a terrible job of giving a unique voice to any of the characters. I constantly had to backtrack to see who was talking, because everyone read exactly the same and had the exact same opinions on everything. It was frustrating trying to get through a conversation with two people let alone the conferences with five or six.

This book was poorly written and the topic uninspired. I would not recommend.
Erick Bixen
Currently Reading: It's Time to Align
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erick-bixen.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Erick Bixen »

vinodsai wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 10:30 Just read the sample. Final Notice by Van Fleisher is a good action thriller. Group of doctors creates a watch to monitor your health and vital signs and they even can predict the final days of human's life. What would you do when you find out you have only a week to live? The Concept is new. I will definitely give it a try.
I equally will consider reading it.
Erick Bixen

Post by Erick Bixen »

Londera wrote: 06 May 2018, 12:28 I liked the story. The mesage of the author was clear and it related tl what is happening in real world time.
The story exactly mirrors the ongoing situation in the USA as far as gun usage is concerned.
Erick Bixen

Post by Erick Bixen »

Rosebella wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 13:26 Haven't read it yet ,generally from the review sounds like an interesting read .
Yeah, it focuses on the gun usage in the USA.
Erick Bixen

Post by Erick Bixen »

PaigeA wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 15:40 Thank you for all of the comments! I am interested in the gun debates, so this looks like it might be an interesting book for me to read!
Yeah, it's tailored to suit people who are anti gun usage in the USA
Erick Bixen

Post by Erick Bixen »

ostercl wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 16:33 Fleisher was more than capable of looking at this topic from multiple sides, which was very much appreciated as the reader.
Yes, the author has written the book from different points of view
Erick Bixen

Post by Erick Bixen »

dtb wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 09:05 I just finished this one. It felt like it could be happening right now. I enjoyed it.
The book left my head whirling in much pleasure
Erick Bixen

Post by Erick Bixen »

zilizopita1998 wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 15:29 Proud to be writing its review soon. Hope you will enjoy it.
I just saw your review. It's so great.
Erick Bixen

Post by Erick Bixen »

zilizopita1998 wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 02:12 I have been encouraged to read this book very soon. This is after reading several well written official reviews from this forum. I really love to read books revolving around guns. Your replies here have also deepened my curiosity and so I have been motivated to read it.
I have equally read it.
lisamcogutu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisamcogutu.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by lisamcogutu »

Just read a sample, and I'm made it on understand that's it's kind of an action thriller. Then there are a group of doctors who monitor health, and they can tell you the period left for you to die. Ouch! Couldn't take that.
Otherwise I believe it's a nice book, and I'd like to have it in my list some day.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”