Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Brandy C
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-c.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Post by Brandy C » 30 Apr 2019, 20:45

Analeigh wrote:
05 Dec 2018, 20:49
lori_parker2003 wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 09:26
Had trouble getting through the few pages they give to check out the book. Found it slow and I am a pro-gun person so this biased my view I think. Probably will not buy the book to read in full.
I did take the time to read this book and it definitely has left leaning themes and bias throughout the book. The author tends to villainize any gun owner.
I agree with you! Gun owners did seem to be villainized. The bias in this book is evident in every chapter. I also read the book and left a review. We are a pro-gun family but open-minded. With that being said, I did not like this book. I liked some of the characters but not the story. For me, it was too biased and plays on societies fears.
”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it” Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird

KCWolf
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 21
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 64
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Freddie Mercury
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf » 13 May 2019, 15:22

As much as I enjoyed the overall story, I could only rate it 2 out of 4 stars. I feel that Flesher's style contains more telling than showing, and includes little comments that pull one out of the story. Like in the one love scene where he interjects his own thoughts...and talks about the man wearing socks. :roll:

I would recommend this book to people who like to read about current hot topic issues. Also, I think senior citizens would enjoy reading this book as the protagonists are in their age range and dealing with a lot of the same issues that real people deal with every day.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Redemption Trails.

kelseydwf
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 76
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading: Seven at Two Past Five
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelseydwf.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by kelseydwf » 13 Jun 2019, 14:48

I recently reviewed this book and really loved it. I thought it touched on a lot of relevant issues in the USA currently and offered an interesting prospect of human good and evil. My favorite part of the book was the character dynamics and interactions, as I found them all to be quite likable and pleasant. However, I noticed several grammatical errors in the Kindle format of the book. Did anyone else encounter this problem? Because of the captivating plot and characters, but the unfortunate editing issues, I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars. I would definitely recommend it.
"A purpose of human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved." -Kurt Vonnegut

kelseydwf
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 76
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading: Seven at Two Past Five
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelseydwf.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by kelseydwf » 22 Jun 2019, 12:03

I really loved this book. I think it touches on some important themes regarding both access to guns and the good/bad of humanity. A lot of us wonder when we will die, and this story presents a lot of different scenarios about choices we might make with this knowledge. I rated it 3 out of 4 stars because of the grammar errors, which were very unfortunate. Otherwise, I definitely recommend it to people who believe in gun reform.
"A purpose of human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved." -Kurt Vonnegut

LinaMueller
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 136
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Lives Revived by Mark Aitken

Post by LinaMueller » 09 Jul 2019, 08:38

Very thought provoking book. This book covers several topics including: school violence, gun control and race relations. It's not a masterpiece but a solid book.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Nimisha_91 » 25 Aug 2019, 23:14

The storyline sounded so interesting and I was looking forward to reading the book. But I couldn't even get through 10 pages before I gave up. I hated the writing style.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”