Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Favorite Fantasy/Magical Realism Book/Series

Post by Heidi M Simone »

As a fantasy lover, I tend to read this genre the most. I also tend to re-read this genre more than others, so I thought it would be fun if we shared our most beloved fantasy/magical realism books and/or series.

My favorite magical realism series would definitely be Harry Potter. This is the series that opened my eyes to how much fun reading can be. It also helped me with my low reading and writing skills, and my comprehension as a child.

Thinking about fantasy, I would say the A Song of Ice and Fire series is my favorite series, too. It's just an overall creative and well-developed story that I found myself re-reading this series.

What are some of your favorites in this genre?
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have such an eclectic taste in books, but this is one of the genres I like. I liked the Harry Potter books as well. I got started on them rather late in the series, but that meant there wasn't as much time in between me reading them. :) I do tend more toward the science fiction side than the fantasy side, though. So, I can't think of any other series that I like at the moment...
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

Well Harry Potter is such a classic that it will always be loved. I love it, my kid loves it, and when my younger kid starts reading, he will probably love it as well.
Fantasy books a true treasures and there are many masters that I bow down to. Tolkien (the ultimate of ultimates), Robert Jordan, Patrick Rothfuss, Raymond E. Feist, Robin Hobb, Sharon Shinn, J. V. Jones and many many more.
Now Urban Fantasy genre is something that I enjoy thoroughly as well, Jim Butcher and Ilona Andrews being one of the favorites that come to mind straight away.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Some of my all-time favourites, which I have re-read, are: A Wizard of Earthsea and The Tombs of Atuan by Ursula le Guin. I have other favourites by her but I think they might count as science fiction more! I have enjoyed the books of Piers Anthony - some are better written than others. I loved On a Pale Horse, which I read many times. I also loved a book called Rules of Ascension by David B. Coe. One of my favourite books of all time is The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Attwood. I love Rosemary Kirstein too.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
StarsAtNight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by StarsAtNight »

I think Percy Jackson and the Olympians were a good series read; I learned a ton about mythology. :D
(Some stuff was scary! Zeus is a yucky guy xD)
As first, I'd thought the story was a little to childish, that being said, it was designed for kids younger than me. But I grew to love it!
emmagracehapner
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by emmagracehapner »

Fantasy novels are definitely my favorite to me, and in my opinion is the most engaging genre. I am currently an art student and I feel that reading these types of books are very inspiring and often influence my paintings. Overall, my favorite fantasy series is Harry Potter. This is the first series I remember reading and my dad read them as well so it was something we were able to bond over. Another series that I absolutely love is Eragon by Christopher Paolini. The level of detail in the book is on par with Tolkein's writing and is even more amazing because Paolini was only 17 when he wrote the first book. I am also a fan of the Percy Jackson series. Although it is more geared towards a younger audience, I found the mythology and storyline very compelling.
Ebbingwhitelight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebbingwhitelight.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Ebbingwhitelight »

The first series I read was Anita Blake by Laurell K Hamiltion. I was a late reader at 18 but this really got me interested. A have a ton of favorites now but another one that sticks out is Kim Harrison. Her world building is amazing.
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

I really enjoyed The Pendragon Cycle by Lawhead. It takes a fresh look at the Arthurian legend and combines it with a little Atlantis and a Christian POV.
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

The Fantasy genre is one of my all-time favorites too. In addition to Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, I also love re-reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. The plot is quite simplistic. You can even call this book a high fantasy memoir, if you wish. It’s meticulous, brilliantly compelling, beautiful, lyrical, and poetic. A must-read!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

As an avid fantasy lover, I will add my love to the tally marks of each of the series mentioned above (and note how particularly impressed I am with Rothfuss...yet irritated with his delay with the third book).

Never mentioned but still my favorite year after year is the Kushiel series by Jaqueline Carey. I definitely think it fits solidly into fantasy but it's possibly underrated because of its heavy sexual themes. The plot largely underscores the differences and connections between physical pain and pleasure, and perhaps that's why I like it :wink2:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
TaghethBryn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TaghethBryn »

I’d like to add a couple names to the list of reread favorites! Elizabeth Haydon, Kristen Britain, Sara Douglass, and LE Modessitt Jr. All have fantastic detail, amazing characters, and worlds to escape into that feel SO real (when you really need them too!) that it’s easy to forget to eat or sleep! And they each have a truly unique spin on magic which keeps them from becoming dull or cookie cutter!
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

StarsAtNight wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 23:00 I think Percy Jackson and the Olympians were a good series read; I learned a ton about mythology. :D
(Some stuff was scary! Zeus is a yucky guy xD)
As first, I'd thought the story was a little to childish, that being said, it was designed for kids younger than me. But I grew to love it!
I almost forgot about this series! These books taught me so much about mythology, and they were so entertaining.
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

I thoroughly enjoyed Percy Jackson and it would definitely fit into this genre.

Return to “February 2018 Genre Discussion”