The Reel Sisters and Their Men

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Re: The Reel Sisters and Their Men

Post by CommMayo »

bookowlie wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 10:41
CatInTheHat wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 17:55 I feel like the men had a reason to be there, but if they were given greater roles in the story, it would have diminished the essence of the story, the women's friendships.
You make a good point. It's always a balancing act for an author to keep some characters in the background so the main premise is not watered down. In this case, it would have probably taken the plot even more off track if the men had been featured more, since there were already five main characters!
That good ole juggling act with the huge cast of characters...

I can't help but think about the average trade paperback by Clancy or Demille: The women are pretty much afterthoughts or window dressing. I think it is fair for the men to get the same treatment in this book. In my opinion, they belong on the periphery in this case.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

CommMayo - Very true! There are so many books with a male protagonist where their wife or girlfriend is not fleshed out and is basically just "wallpaper" to give the guy a family life. I find especially true with male detectives in mysteries.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

bookowlie wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 13:58 CommMayo - Very true! There are so many books with a male protagonist where their wife or girlfriend is not fleshed out and is basically just "wallpaper" to give the guy a family life. I find especially true with male detectives in mysteries.
I'll admit to really liking New Adult romance books, for the main reason that they usually alternate POV between the man an the woman. It really allows the author to completely flesh out each character so you don't end up with the mindless male or female side character.
eBookreviewer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8714">The Angel's Game</a>
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebookreviewer.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by eBookreviewer »

In this book, I believe that men are not needed. History could develop in the same way without them.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

eBookreviewer wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 14:37 In this book, I believe that men are not needed. History could develop in the same way without them.
History would be a pretty short book without any men...I mean, we do need them for one vital role...
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

History would be herstory without men. We can always learn from the ants and bees, lol!
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I think this was a conscious effort on the part of the author. And, it was a refreshing change :)
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Samy Lax wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 07:48 I think this was a conscious effort on the part of the author. And, it was a refreshing change :)
I think it might have been more of a refreshing change if one of the male characters had a stronger role in the story in a positive way...not someone like Amanda's husband who became a source of conflict and stress. For example, it might have been nice to develop Amanda's high school as a male confidante and platonic friend to show how men and women can also be friends. Instead, the guy was shown as being hung up on Amanda since high school. For me, it was a stereotypical plot device to create tension between Amanda and her husband.
Kieran_Obrien
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-obrien.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kieran_Obrien »

bookowlie wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 13:00
Samy Lax wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 07:48 I think this was a conscious effort on the part of the author. And, it was a refreshing change :)
I think it might have been more of a refreshing change if one of the male characters had a stronger role in the story in a positive way...not someone like Amanda's husband who became a source of conflict and stress. For example, it might have been nice to develop Amanda's high school as a male confidante and platonic friend to show how men and women can also be friends. Instead, the guy was shown as being hung up on Amanda since high school. For me, it was a stereotypical plot device to create tension between Amanda and her husband.
After decades of women going completely under-represented and dehumanised in literature and media, it seems really nitpick-y to say that in a book filled with female characters that the men are underwritten - its almost like a taste of our own medicine - but its true! :lol:
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Haha. I guess I just thought giving the men more prominent roles would make the story feel less "chick lit."
Emmanae
Currently Reading: The Power
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanae.html
Latest Review: Discover Your Thinner Self by David Medansky
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emmanae »

I'm not certain if you're saying it's a women's book meaning it's for women readers only, but if that is what you're saying, I'd have to disagree wholeheartedly. :\ Genders of characters shouldn't have anything to do with the reader base.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

That should be the ideal scenario. Readers shouldn't judge a book by its cover or by its main characters' genders.

I'm curious, though. In this forum, it seems that 90% of the posters are women. Or am I just imagining things?
Vendlyss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vendlyss.html
Latest Review: The Expansion by Christoph Martin

Post by Vendlyss »

I definitely don't feel that having men be more than a supporting role does anything in regards to character development for the women.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Had this book been all about the women, it would have bordered on what some may refer to as "toxic feminism." It was prudent of the men to be featured. This goes to show that although a woman is self-sufficient, a man will always feature in her life, even if he only plays the most minute role.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
ericahs
Currently Reading: The Cybernetic Tea Shop
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericahs.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by ericahs »

I think it's interesting that the men were in supporting roles. Nice flip on the usual gender dynamics
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.- Douglas Adams

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”