The Reel Sisters and Their Men

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Re: The Reel Sisters and Their Men

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Of course the story would not have been the same if the men were not pictured as I think it was a good strategy to give the men supporting roles to generate and appeal to a larger audience, as well as bring realness (a balance) to the characters lives. With that, I believe that Mike and Amanda's relationship had the greatest impact. I also believe, the author wrote this "woman's book" to not only encourage, inspire and educate women regarding 'fly fishing' and to increase 'women friendships', but, more important to empower and strengthen them.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

I don't mind background characters. I've read and seen movies where the character has a spouse, but they are rarely there. Like just the other day, all the husband did was work on the car (which sort of impacted the last scene), he had a few lines, and stood in scenes with his family. But because of how he was characterized, I'm wasn't left saying, "What was the point of that character?" :doh:

That doesn't always work though, like in this story. I don't want to be left wanting. (I read that in a previous reply).
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
asere_maryanne
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by asere_maryanne »

It is a good thing that the book was a woman affair. I am also of the thought they they should not be there in the first place.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

asere_maryanne wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 04:29 It is a good thing that the book was a woman affair. I am also of the thought they they should not be there in the first place.
Yes, let's go for Amazon power! LOL
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

The story would have worked the same had the men not been present. The women would have talked about other life difficulties. The men just added a realness to the characters and their lives. Some of our friends are married, some are not. Some are widowed, some have never been married. That's just life. But yes, the men were not needed to make the book relatable.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

Kieran_Obrien wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 12:20 I think it would've been a better book if the men were left out of it completely! Sophie's entire character arc revolves around her finding a man. Thatcher is just kind of there... he does nothing. As for Amanda's husband, well he really felt like he was being used as a plot device so that Amanda would have a reason to storm out of the house at the end...
Too true! I did not see the purpose any of these men played in the book. They either needed to be developed more as characters or left out entirely.
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

I think this is a great discussion point. I believe that the story is truly about the women as individuals, which is why the men only have supporting roles. Yes, the men have impacted these women, but the women are finding their own footing and ways to be independent. I think this lens on individuality and independence was perfect for the book.
Joy Catap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-catap.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Joy Catap »

Yes, the main subjects are the women but I don't think getting rid of the men are necessary. You see, the book is promoting feminism without degrading the men. The book is supporting women without making the men look like they were villains in the stories of these women. It just shows that women do not have to fight against men for their success, women can fight with their men as they battle life everyday.
I love Thatcher. He always supports Veronica and is not controlling over her. Yes, he doesn't say much but he teaches the readers how a woman should be loved.
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by LyorBoone »

A writer should do what’s right for the story. I imagine process like excavating a fosses. They journey around in their imagination till they find something and carefully dig around the fossil, careful to preserve the fossil in a way where others may be able to figure out what it once was or is meant to be. This story is about the Reel Sisters, and they deserve our focus. I think the men fit in because these girls share their whole lives with each other, and they were naturally reduced to supporting roles. However, I feel the men could have been better developed characters. When physically present, they sometimes came across as two dimensional. The male characters had the most life to them under the eyes of the women who could tell how great their men were. Their strongest function of the male characters was to show a friendship that went beyond fly fishing, and I think this illustration of a boundless friendship fit wonderfully.
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

CatInTheHat wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 17:55 I feel like the men had a reason to be there, but if they were given greater roles in the story, it would have diminished the essence of the story, the women's friendships.
I agree with you I think the main theme of the story was their friendship and the other characters only gave the natural essence to the plot.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

[/quote]The story was about the women and not the men. It brought a reality to focus that women need to get together sometimes, not to male bash but to support each other, relax, take a break from the hectic world we live in. It's great they had supportive men but their role in the book was menial but gave credence to the story.
[/quote]

NOT to male bash, exactly. I didn't read any man-hating or "men don't count" into this story and I'm quite glad about that. It's just that the story was about women's friendship. Women DO have men in their lives; that's a good and normal thing. The story was about the women though, having girl time and supporting each other through the ups and downs of life.
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

The story was about the women and not the men. It brought a reality to focus that women need to get together sometimes, not to male bash but to support each other, relax, take a break from the hectic world we live in. It's great they had supportive men but their role in the book was menial but gave credence to the story.
NOT to male bash, exactly. I didn't read any man-hating or "men don't count" into this story and I'm quite glad about that. It's just that the story was about women's friendship. Women DO have men in their lives; that's a good and normal thing. The story was about the women though, having girl time and supporting each other through the ups and downs of life.
kelso9326
Favorite Book: Life Expectancy
Currently Reading: Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelso9326.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by kelso9326 »

The story had a very "girl power"-esque theme. I enjoyed it. I didn't find it absolutely amazing but it fit the story since it literally revolved around women. I think the story would have worked if it was a group of men but I don't know if I would have liked it as much.
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

I think in order to understand the complexities of each of these women's lives, the men were necessary. They didn't play a major role in the story, but they were there. Each of them had their own personal probelms, that changed how they interacted with eachother. Some might say that the men aren't necessary and especially how Sophie wanting to find love took something away from the book. However, I don't think so. Everyone deserves to have love in their life. It is something that women talk about often and can make people feel complete. It might seem odd not to mention love at all in the book.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

The women were sufficient enough as characters but the men added the flavor of the book.

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”