Who is your favourite and/or least favourite Reel Sister and why?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
Kieran_Obrien
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-obrien.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: Who is your favourite and/or least favourite Reel Sister and why?

Post by Kieran_Obrien »

That's so funny because I would be put Sophie low on my list!
My order from fav to least fav would be
Melody
Amanda
Rose
Sophie
Veronica

I really didn't care about Veronica 😂
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

R-g-R wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 00:35 But who has time, energy and the cash to do all the lovely, individual things for each of the Reel Sisters?! Maybe this reflects more on me but in our current economic climate I found it difficult to relate to her. Maybe it means that deep down I wish I had a Rose in my life?
Yes! WHO!? Did you find your opinion changed (because I was with you on this one)?
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

NL Hartje wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 14:52
R-g-R wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 00:35 But who has time, energy and the cash to do all the lovely, individual things for each of the Reel Sisters?! Maybe this reflects more on me but in our current economic climate I found it difficult to relate to her. Maybe it means that deep down I wish I had a Rose in my life?
Yes! WHO!? Did you find your opinion changed (because I was with you on this one)?
I remember Rose made a quilt for each of them. I would think the fabric wouldn't cost much; it's more of a time-consuming project that an expensive one. I don't remember what else Rose did for them that cost a lot. She provided the cabin, but she already owned the property for many years. I agree Rose gave a lot of her time and did thoughtful things, but I'm not sure she spent a lot of money.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

I love all the Reel sisters. Each one of them has an interesting and a unique personality. I prefer Rose. She is full of energy and always there.
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

NL Hartje wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 14:52
I normally relate more to the underdog...to someone who struggles and overcomes...and is not perfection personified! I do like the sharing of wisdom as well, gained from life experience...it turns out I’m a bit torn about an absolute favourite, but I know the ones I didn’t like as much :)
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html

Post by R-g-R »

Kieran_Obrien wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 14:38 That's so funny because I would be put Sophie low on my list!
My order from fav to least fav would be
Melody
Amanda
Rose
Sophie
Veronica

I really didn't care about Veronica 😂
I like a difference of opinion!
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

I liked Rose best- her age, experience and warmth binds everyone together. Also, being the most experienced fly fisher, she is responsible for training the others and keeping them interested in the sport.
I thought Melody had potential as a character, but in the end she comes across as a little odd and is probably the character with the worst dialogues- all vague and stilted.
Irishmom
Currently Reading: Heartaches 3
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irishmom.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Irishmom »

My favroite was Amanda. I could relate to her harried life as a working mother. I also thought that her story was a good reminder of what military familes face, a snapshot of that kind of life.
My least favorite was Veronica. Her life issues seemed resolved, and I saw no point in her character's part of the story.
jamertin2963
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamertin2963.html

Post by jamertin2963 »

My favorite was definitely Melody. I can relate to her awkwardness and desire for rebellion. And also her potty mouth!
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

Amanda was my favorite, I'm a soldier's wife so I could really see myself in her and we shared some of the same emotions. Veronica was my least favorite, I don't have a specific reason, maybe I didn't fully understood her willingness to sell her eggs to pay for her schooling and her never having the desire to be a mom just because of a fear of not being a good one. It's probably the character that I feel the farthest from.
jamertin2963
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamertin2963.html

Post by jamertin2963 »

I'm surprised at how many people don't like Veronica (or like her least). She was my second character, but again, there are things about her character I related to. I wish she had been a better-developed character, though.
Kelaine
Currently Reading: The Left Hand of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelaine.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Kelaine »

Cotwani wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 17:07 I also liked Sophie most, too. She is practical/hands on in her dealings. She joined Rose, then brought Amanda and Veronica to the sisterhood. She is the one who went the extra mile to visit and babysit for Amanda during her trying moment. She is the one who went to look for Melody at short notice. She sure walks the talk!
Exactly what I thought! She seems like one of those super genuine people that would drop everything to go help someone out. I love those kinds of people, and I'm always trying to be one.
Kelaine
Currently Reading: The Left Hand of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelaine.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Kelaine »

jamertin2963 wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 10:43 I'm surprised at how many people don't like Veronica (or like her least). She was my second character, but again, there are things about her character I related to. I wish she had been a better-developed character, though.
I wasn't a huge fan of Veronica, but maybe that's more because of the reality of my situation than anything that actually has to do with her. It seems like everything goes so smoothly and easily for her - like she's on her own little perfect cloud of life. Where's my perfect-life-cloud?! I suppose I'm just a bit jealous of a fictional character.
MollyEnter
Currently Reading: The Altitude Journals
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollyenter.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by MollyEnter »

My favorite character was Melody because I could really relate to her. She was less "cute" and "colloquial." I was wishing the whole book that it could have been solely from her perspective! My least favorite, though, was Veronica because, like others have said, I envy her and wish I could be her some day.
"There is something about words. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner.”
– Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale
michmc3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=3943">my sisters keeper</a>
Currently Reading: Hungry Heart
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by michmc3 »

This has been fun (and interesting!) to see who your least favorite character was.

Jeyasivananth, your insights on Melody are so deep and thoughtful. 💙

For those of you that thought Veronica's life was a little too perfect... stay tuned for the sequel. 😏

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”