Who is your favourite and/or least favourite Reel Sister and why?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Re: Who is your favourite and/or least favourite Reel Sister and why?

Post by R-g-R »

Quinto wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 08:24 Yes Sophie is pretty much hands on and reliable. Such characters are always selfless as well. So to me she gets the accolades.
Sophie has the most ‘likes’ in these comments :)
R-g-R

Post by R-g-R »

Cotwani wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 17:07 I also liked Sophie most, too. She is practical/hands on in her dealings. She joined Rose, then brought Amanda and Veronica to the sisterhood. She is the one who went the extra mile to visit and babysit for Amanda during her trying moment. She is the one who went to look for Melody at short notice. She sure walks the talk!
I like your extra insights about Sophie! :)
R-g-R

Post by R-g-R »

bookowlie wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 13:08 My favorite Reel Sister was probably Sophie. I admired her ability to take risks, such as moving by herself to another state at a fairly young age and starting a business on her own. Also, it was realistic that she found it difficult to move forward in romance since her heart had been broken years earlier. I pretty much liked all of the women, but I did find Veronica's character to be a little too perfect - always "together," successful job, perfect husband, etc.
There’s clearly a lot to like about Sophie, based on comments here, while the ‘perfection’ of Veronica is not a favourite...:)
R-g-R

Post by R-g-R »

CommMayo wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 14:17
Snowflake wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 08:53 I did have the passing thought that it would be nice to have the time that Rose did to make those lovely quilts and the energy and spirit to offer my home so easily to others.
I feel like we all know someone like that. I mean, don't they ever sleep? I know I need some couch time for myself after a long day at work!
Haha, agree! :)
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Every person has a good side and a bad as well. No one is 100% good or great. I honestly like Rose the best out of all for she is very thoughtful and wise at times.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

R-g-R wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 19:36
Jeyasivananth wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 17:37 My favorite character would be Melody because i found her journey to be more complete and fulfilling than the others. Melody comes across as a quintessential millennial , thrust with parental expectation that leaves her estranged with them. With no financial worries , being a gifted prodigy things must have come easily to her ; not to mention a chalked out life by her parents for her to join Julliard. Quite understandably this tailored life bores her , building frustration in her mind, egging her to rebel against her parents choices for her. As a resentment and act of rebellion she renounces music and chooses photography. As she herself confesses photography allows her to have greater control over her life. She can delete the pictures . She is a self confessed introvert who prefers the anonymity of the online interaction to the real life human overtures ( much like a millennial) . With the help of Rose she discovers to be aware and adapt ; to make connections and release . She values having a connection with someone other than herself and gains to confidence to make her own choices with guilt ; pave a unique path doing all that she loves mixing music and photography . She in my opinion is the most well developed round character in the book. The character i didnt enjoy much was Veronica as I felt Cummings didn't show all her facets leaving her rather flat and boring .
Wow! What great insights :)
Thanks R-g-r...I m glad you liked it!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Jeyasivananth wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 17:37 My favorite character would be Melody because i found her journey to be more complete and fulfilling than the others. Melody comes across as a quintessential millennial , thrust with parental expectation that leaves her estranged with them. With no financial worries , being a gifted prodigy things must have come easily to her ; not to mention a chalked out life by her parents for her to join Julliard. Quite understandably this tailored life bores her , building frustration in her mind, egging her to rebel against her parents choices for her. As a resentment and act of rebellion she renounces music and chooses photography. As she herself confesses photography allows her to have greater control over her life. She can delete the pictures . She is a self confessed introvert who prefers the anonymity of the online interaction to the real life human overtures ( much like a millennial) . With the help of Rose she discovers to be aware and adapt ; to make connections and release . She values having a connection with someone other than herself and gains to confidence to make her own choices with guilt ; pave a unique path doing all that she loves mixing music and photography . She in my opinion is the most well developed round character in the book. The character i didnt enjoy much was Veronica as I felt Cummings didn't show all her facets leaving her rather flat and boring .
Good points! I also thought Veronica was a cardboard character. Of all the women, she almost seemed like a supporting character even though she had her turn in the rotating perspectives. The author seemed to spend much more time fleshing out Melody, considering she wasn't part of the original group and not as close with the other women. I enjoyed reading her sections, but it did seem out of place that Melody was featured so heavily.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:

Post by Jeyasivananth »

bookowlie wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 10:38
Good points! I also thought Veronica was a cardboard character. Of all the women, she almost seemed like a supporting character even though she had her turn in the rotating perspectives. The author seemed to spend much more time fleshing out Melody, considering she wasn't part of the original group and not as close with the other women. I enjoyed reading her sections, but it did seem out of place that Melody was featured so heavily.

Yes Bookowlie, I totally agree with you ...the author did spend a lot of time on was Melody. I was disappointed with the portrayal of Veronica. She being an entrepreneur, the character offered limitless possibility for the writer to discuss gender discrimination like equality in wages or sexual harassment, faced by women in a corporate world.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Jeyasivananth - I agree. Veronica's career and the fact her job included travel could have been explored more, especially the impact on her marriage. Instead, she had the "perfect" husband and life...he had an equally interesting career, they had a fabulous apartment, and they both were cheerful all the time. Her chapters were very bland.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:

Post by Jeyasivananth »

bookowlie wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 11:10 Jeyasivananth - I agree. Veronica's career and the fact her job included travel could have been explored more, especially the impact on her marriage. Instead, she had the "perfect" husband and life...he had an equally interesting career, they had a fabulous apartment, and they both were cheerful all the time. Her chapters were very bland.
Yes..that too perfect life seems unreal. A little glimpse into the her conflicts at the work place and efforts needed to sustain the marriage could have helped. I like the usage of "bland". That's a right choice of word.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Jeyasivananth wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 11:46
bookowlie wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 11:10 Jeyasivananth - I agree. Veronica's career and the fact her job included travel could have been explored more, especially the impact on her marriage. Instead, she had the "perfect" husband and life...he had an equally interesting career, they had a fabulous apartment, and they both were cheerful all the time. Her chapters were very bland.
Yes..that too perfect life seems unreal. A little glimpse into the her conflicts at the work place and efforts needed to sustain the marriage could have helped. I like the usage of "bland". That's a right choice of word.
Of all the characters, she and Thatcher seemed unnecessary in the story. There was nothing interesting about them other than including a couple who had the perfect life.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:

Post by Jeyasivananth »

bookowlie wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 12:34
Jeyasivananth wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 11:46
Of all the characters, she and Thatcher seemed unnecessary in the story. There was nothing interesting about them other than including a couple who had the perfect life.
I think the purpose of Thatcher was to show the reversal of gender roles against the traditional ones. The woman is the jet setter, a leadership grooming entrepreneur while the man is an expert in a predominantly female attributed profession.
R-g-R

Post by R-g-R »

I’m loving the discussion and all other comments!
It’s fascinating that there can be such diversity of opinion from reading the same words :)
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Perhaps the love of Sophie on this thread comes from our desire to me more like her. Everyone wants to be that solid, dependable person.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

CommMayo wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 10:31 Perhaps the love of Sophie on this thread comes from our desire to me more like her. Everyone wants to be that solid, dependable person.
She also had an independent, can-do personality which I think we all admired. At a relatively young age, she decided to move on her own to Colorado on her own and start a business. Although she would have liked a significant other, she didn't let the lack of one stop her from enjoying her life. Compare that to some women that have only one goal...finding a man.

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”