Random Ways the Characters Became Friends

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Re: Random Ways the Characters Became Friends

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

My mother told me that as you grow up, it gets harder and harder to make new friends. You can't say an adult makes friends like a child. A child doesn't need any reason to befriend someone, while an adult will be careful who he befriends, knowing from his experience that a lot of people are bad or have hidden purposes. A quick friendship for an adult is something rare, and I guess the adults need to be very social and opened. I think the friendships in the book were a little rushed.
Sketches_by_Shell
Favorite Book: Sketches by Boz
Currently Reading: The Druids
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sketches-by-shell.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Sketches_by_Shell »

Kat Berg wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 16:57 I have found myself amazed at the way I have met people who became close, quick friends, and then astonished that it took us so long to meet when we realized how much overlap of friendships we had! That being said, I also have a certain of willingness to suspend my disbelief when it comes to reading a fictional book. It doesn’t bother me when the realms of reality are stretched just a little to serve the needs of the book.
I, too, am able to "suspend my disbelief," as you say, when reading fiction. I tend to dive right into the story and take everything that is given at face value. Only once and a while I will question something, if it is off the wall crazy. Then, I will rarely even look it up to verify. I might discuss it with someone to see what they think. If the writer wants us to see something their way, I see it their way.
Sketches_by_Shell
Favorite Book: Sketches by Boz
Currently Reading: The Druids
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sketches-by-shell.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Sketches_by_Shell »

It is interesting how many of us have made neighborhood friends through our children that last for a long time, or even a lifetime. I've made friends with the neighbor of my child's friend across the street before. We all had sat outside with the kids, and just talked quite a bit.
charmaineperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmaineperit.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by charmaineperit »

CatInTheHat wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 16:40 I too think that some of the friendships were "quick." However, I've had friendships where we connected during our first meeting. Actually, our closest friends are ones we met walking up the street when our kids were little. We stood in their front yard, watching the kids play together, for a couple of hours. That night, we got together for pizza. During that first year, we spent Thanksgiving together, the first of many holidays together. We no longer live near each other, but 25 years later, they are still our best friends. It really did start that quick.
I agree to this! A lot of friendships I have are quick friendships. This kind of friendship I have are usually with those people who I share same personality and interests with.
faceadventure
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faceadventure.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by faceadventure »

In my experience the best friendships come from instances where the people involved clicked together after just a few exchanged sentences. But that doesn't mean that good friends don't come form awkward first encounters as well. :lol2:
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

Kat Berg wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 16:57 I have found myself amazed at the way I have met people who became close, quick friends, and then astonished that it took us so long to meet when we realized how much overlap of friendships we had! That being said, I also have a certain of willingness to suspend my disbelief when it comes to reading a fictional book. It doesn’t bother me when the realms of reality are stretched just a little to serve the needs of the book.
I agree. And I've also met some of my closest confidants in the strangest ways.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

bookowlie wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 12:05 The main characters in this story became friends from random meetings. With one exception, their first meetings had nothing to do with fly fishing. I didn't think it was realistic that so many of the characters would meet and become "instant" friends due to random meetings. Still, I guess people sometimes will meet someone this way and want to become friends with them for various reasons. Give an example of how two of the characters meet and why it might be realistic for them to instantly become friends, given their personalities, the circumstances, etc.
I felt the depiction of the meeting of Melody as a naked river swept victim needing to be rescued was quite contrived. The quick and predictable friendship that developed was also somewhat unrealistic given the circumstances of the first meeting.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Yes, I do believe people sometimes will meet someone this way and that and want to become friends with them for various other reasons, such as in the case regarding Melody's unexpected, floating meeting between her and all the women and particularly Rose, which "surely proves to me, we just never know when God will realistically cast someone into our lives for good and not evil", in lieu of your questioning: their personalities, the circumstances, etc. Feel free to check out my full review here -> viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71123.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

The meeting of Rose and Sophie is credible enough, while the rest are somewhat forced, not to mention Melanie's case. She is the most distinctive character of the group, and after a completely coincidental and fortuitous encounter, she integrates seamlessly into it.
asere_maryanne
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by asere_maryanne »

I believe all the encounters then friendships can be realistic, especially for women. Women have a way of connecting with each other and random friends often turn out to be the best.
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

When Rose and Sophie met it was in a store talking about fly fishing is a perfect example. Meeting someone with the same passion as you is a great way to meet people and to become immediate friends. As a matter of fact I've met several friends in the park walking our dogs. Many of these friendships began immediately and I hope will last long term.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

I agree that the quick friendships and unlikely connection to fly fishing may seem a bit unrealistic. Although, I do think there is something that each of these women were looking for. They each needed a friendship and a connection to something to take them away from the stress of everyday life. This desire for more in life would have helped spur a friendship along.
kelso9326
Favorite Book: Life Expectancy
Currently Reading: Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelso9326.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by kelso9326 »

Some of my very best friends and I met through quick and random meetings. One of them was a random knock on a dorm room door and him, my roommates and I ended up playing board games together all night. Then he introduced me to two girls down the hall and all three of them were in my wedding this year. Yes, the girls' meetings were maybe a little too random but sometimes it really does happen like that.
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

I don't know. I think most people meet under random circumstances. It depends on the people if they will go out of their way to try and establish a relationship. Personally, since I recently (well, honestly two years ago isn't very recent) moved to a new place, I desire to have deeper friendships, but I don't know how to go about it. I would jump on the opportunity to do something like this.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

I dont think there are hard and fast rules to how meetings occur and how quick or slow friendships are made. Melody's abrupt meeting with the other women seemed realistic to me. One would ordinarily want to know more about the person they rescued; that way they may become drawn to each other/one another and sparks fly and friendships are formed.

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”