Overall rating and opinion of " The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
Cathaynes
Favorite Book: When No One Else Believed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65

Re: Overall rating and opinion of " The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings

Post by Cathaynes »

I enjoyed this book. It took me back to my younger days. It is a heart-felt story; based on life, and the things we must face day to day. The women in this story found a way of coping with life's every day events, and finding something they enjoy; friendships that last a life-time, and peace. I would give this book a 4 out 4; if you are looking for a story that will encourage you, and lift your spirts; this book can give you just what you need. Well done.
ericahs
Currently Reading: The Cybernetic Tea Shop
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericahs.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by ericahs »

I love the idea of solidarity around a common interest. It seems like fly-fishing is a vehicle for their connection I love that they try to share that with others.
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

I am still reading the book but I am enjoying the strong friendships. I speak using proper English all the time so I am not getting an odd flow from the dialogue. I have learnt a lot about fly-fishing thus far,and I although I would hesitate to give a rating without having completed the book I will say that it is a more than fair read.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

SparklesonPages wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 22:12 I am still reading the book but I am enjoying the strong friendships. I speak using proper English all the time so I am not getting an odd flow from the dialogue. I have learnt a lot about fly-fishing thus far,and I although I would hesitate to give a rating without having completed the book I will say that it is a more than fair read.
I also didn't notice issues with the dialogue. Anyway, for all I know, that's how Coloradans speak. :) In the U.S., different regions of the country not only have different accents, but they may have a different manner of speaking. When I lived in New England, I thought people spoke in a slightly more formal way.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
namo00 71
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by namo00 71 »

as for me the starting point of the book in not well arranged how i wish the writter of the book could have summarize the starting point for easy understanding,
Simo254
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Simo254 »

The Reel sisters is a really interesting novel that i like reading. The main thing i like about the book is about the characters, how their personalities match a different characteristic of a fly fishing outfit. Still love the way it teaches about ourselves every time we step into the river, how each character takes her own personal journey and fights her own storms in a unique way.
I really loved reading this book so much.
bijyu
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bijyu.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by bijyu »

What I really like about this book is that it allows people to learn about a sport that's rarely the main theme of fiction books, and it depicts everything in a way that makes fishing seem interesting! To be honest, I always thought it was a boring sport but this book changed my mind. I also like that women from such diverse backgrounds were able to become friends thanks to their unusual hobby. What I didn't like is that the dialogue seemed stiff and awkward to me at times.
Olaiya Odunayo Philip Joy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philipjoy.html
Latest Review: Purpose by Gina Bianchini

Post by Olaiya Odunayo Philip Joy »

The book taught me about the importance of understanding in friendship.
Simpc12
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Simpc12 »

I really loved all the characters of the book and how their lives intertwined. It was great to have a book with strong female characters that had warm friendships. I recommend this book to anyone who has wonderful best friends.
Emuobo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Emuobo »

not bad. Salute to the author for such a captiving title .I give it 5 star
monicahmutuva
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by monicahmutuva »

In my opinion the reel sisters talks about several things. One of them is true friendship the ladies had. Distance and background do not matter when it comes to friendship. Also a sport I had never thought of... Fly fishing -makes me want to try it out. Sounds like a fun sport. It is important to have a "me" time to bond with friends and exercise hobbies.
diannpglover
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by diannpglover »

I am fortunate enough to have a group of friends similar to the ones in the "Reel Sisters". We don't have a sport that brings us together but a past and common hometown. We are finally all back living in our hoetown right now; old and worn but stil able to pick up a conversation like it was yesterday. We have had lots of heartaches, illnesses (cancer), and death together and apart. Our story is still on going as we have all reached the age of 65. "Reel Sisters" hits a core note in their closeness and caring for one another. The ending was sure sad though. So far we haven't physically lost one of our little group but have come close.
A good read and I will recommend it to my friends and book club.
bmakokha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by bmakokha »

Reading this Book, not only changed the perspective to my thought process but it has also changed my persona in a way, I look at distinct women with ambitions, focus and skill. Even though, the book does not identify this qualities, none the less, it is certain as you read the book, you see, the various rich talents and potentials in this millennial women. Not only where this women intelligent, they are goal oriented because, they used fishing as fun but also fishing as a skill of women empowerment. In a way, even though, they could easily connect with the beauty of Mother Nature as girls, in a way, they are fulfilling their technical skill ambition of providing for their families without using money to buy food but to use skill to produce food on the table for their families. This is absolutely based on love and care for their families. I can therefore say, this are brave women of the Millennial, they make women proud because of their vast skill they portray. Imagine in a world where, all women are empowered with all skills for survival, for example, like in Africa, where, a woman is the head of the family, providing for her children, caring for her husband and the whole community including extended relatives. This skill is necessary because, it helps ease the burden of expenditure, but also gives women, free time to connect with Nature by themselves, its like reward meditation. With this to say, I am very intrigued by the talents in this women, from being Mothers, Home care takers, wives, career talented writers, community representatives, National Citizens and women representatives.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

I am just starting to read this book and I am drawn to the friendship aspect of it. Thank you BOTM.
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

I haven’t finished the book yet,but I do like the fact that I love learning more about fishing. Different concepts are always interesting to read 

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”