Overall rating and opinion of " The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
DandMMothers
Currently Reading: King Donald Khrump
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dandmmothers.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Re: Overall rating and opinion of " The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings

Post by DandMMothers »

The dialogue made me cringe just a bit. I did not finish reading it.
Abiki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiki.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Abiki »

I'm late to the party here, but I have to agree with BookishCreature. I just finished The Reel Sisters last night and wrote my review this morning. I thought the book could have been something that left the reader feeling warm and fuzzy and with a new interest fly fishing, but the execution was lacking. I feel that BookishCreature really nailed it with "awkward dialogue, the childish behavior of the grown women in the story, and the lack of overarching conflict in the plot". I feel a little embarrassed because so many of the reviews seem to be positive, but try as I might I can't seem to share the perspective of those reviewers. I so wanted to enjoy this book.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

I haven't read this book yet, but I've read the review. The theme and the plot sound interesting and it also carries a tone of gender equality. I will go for this book.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
Analeigh
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-analeigh.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Analeigh »

CatInTheHat wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 16:29 I went into this thinking I wouldn't like it, but I didn't read the last couple "book of the month's" so I wanted to jump back into it. I LOVED this story. I enjoyed the way the characters became "real" friends as they "reeled" in the fish. The ways they shared their lives with each other were endearing. I was so incredibly sad in the end. I did not see that coming at all. I highly recommend this story to those who like to connect with their friends.
I’m reading this now! So glad to see so many good reviews!!
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

It seemed like most people liked this book, but I could only give it 2 out of 4 stars. I thought I would be interested in fly fishing but there was just too much of it in the book for me. I found myself skipping through the endless descriptions of gear, casting techniques, etc. I also struggled with all the characters. None of them seem "reel" to me. Instead they all felt flat and underdeveloped. And the dialogues! Ughh... Too boring, too cheesy. I could only recommend this one to an avid fly fisher.
Joy Catap
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-catap.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Joy Catap »

I love it! Although the detailed aspect of fly fishing bore me, I enjoy the friendship that the five women shared. I love how I feel like I was reading five novels at once since each character has her own story. I will definitely recommend this one!
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I did enjoy the book, though the flat character voices were a bit distracting at times. Really liked the portrayal of female friendship!
Also, I feel like the author omits a lot of commas...
Joy Catap
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-catap.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Joy Catap »

I love it! I love how the characters clung to their personalities until the end. They didn't drift to their characterization. I love their different personalities. I felt like I was reading five stories at once.
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

Overall, I really did enjoy this book, and I would recommend it to others. I felt that the dialogue was well-written and realistic. This really helped create a realistic friendship between these women which I appreciated. Also, I think the use of fly-fishing to center the book was a fun way to learn about a different sport.
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nimisha_91 »

BookishCreature wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 14:02 Oh man, it seems like I might be the only one who really disliked this book. :/ It has the dubious honor of being the first book I've ever rated one star on OBC. My review hasn't been published yet, but the short version is that I couldn't stand the awkward dialogue, the childish behavior of the grown women in the story, and the lack of overarching conflict in the plot. Was it just me?
Oh good , I thought I was the only one . I completely agree with you. The characters were so childish! And it was just so long. I just finished my review and I only gave it a 2 out of 4. I feel bad about that but most of the book was so pointless !
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

DandMMothers wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 20:05 The dialogue made me cringe just a bit. I did not finish reading it.
Yes. Me too.
The dialogues weren’t real... right? They kinda felt ... off.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
Noosh

Post by Noosh »

I read this book and wrote a review on it. I gave it 1 out of 4 stars. I get that the author aimed to write about solid friendship between women, and yes, the whole fly fishing sport aspect of the novel was interesting and new to me. But all in all, the book needs improvement....
Lemony Snicket
Noosh

Post by Noosh »

Nimisha_91 wrote: 21 Aug 2019, 23:05
BookishCreature wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 14:02 Oh man, it seems like I might be the only one who really disliked this book. :/ It has the dubious honor of being the first book I've ever rated one star on OBC. My review hasn't been published yet, but the short version is that I couldn't stand the awkward dialogue, the childish behavior of the grown women in the story, and the lack of overarching conflict in the plot. Was it just me?
Oh good , I thought I was the only one . I completely agree with you. The characters were so childish! And it was just so long. I just finished my review and I only gave it a 2 out of 4. I feel bad about that but most of the book was so pointless !
Hello my darlings!
You are not alone. I gave this book 1 stars.
No, the characters weren’t good. No, the dialogues weren’t good. Yes, the story had potential. No, the author didn’t deliver.
I wrote a whole review on it.
Lemony Snicket
Wokeread
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wokeread.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wokeread »

I loved the way the women bonded and were there for one another, even though they were so different. I learned a lot about fly fishing but I felt that there was too much technical information. The dialogue felt a bit forced and some of the jokes were not as funny as intended. Other than that, I enjoyed reading the book and rated it 3 out of 4.
kelso9326
Favorite Book: Life Expectancy
Currently Reading: Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelso9326.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by kelso9326 »

I liked the book overall. However some of the dialogue seemed unnatural and over the top. I enjoyed the fishing though. It seemed like the author really put time into the research for the book.

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”