Which Story did you like the least and Why?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
SamGee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgee.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Re: Which Story did you like the least and Why?

Post by SamGee »

I really can't make up my mind on this one as I loved each story for its uniqueness.
Books Lover1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Books Lover1 »

I also loved the cupcake story. I find it very interesting, and I'll read it again !
ValentineT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valentinet.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by ValentineT »

Weirdly enough there's no story that I found least intresting. However, there were some that stood out from the rest. Like the story of the maasai woman, the story of the deer, the story of his aunty to mention a few.
becsimpson
Currently Reading: Ringo and the guardians of the waterfall
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becsimpson.html
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by becsimpson »

I actually enjoyed them all. They all had their own merits and were interesting in their own way, so it's hard to pick. I feel like each story was important to make up the whole.
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

The author’s experience with the Maasai mother made me very upset. In his childhood, he defied the orders of a police officer to save a deer. It was hard for me to believe that he could not defy the orders of his tour guide to save the mother’s child who was on the verge of death. In the previous chapters, he had moments where he encouraged people to follow their inner voice yet he did not follow his inner voice in this particular case. The author had a great opportunity to learn and give his collection of lessons to the mother and her community but he did not realize it.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

As a general rule, I least liked those stories which showed Rob as a self-obsessed person. Flying in a biplane, driving racing cars, running with bulls, wearing a wig in front of an audience and hiding when it came off, bragging about success in front of a bunch of kids were some of the examples which show him as an extremely egomaniac person. The stories with the con man and the earthquake which caused him enormous amount of money seemed plain show-off. I rather liked the simpler stories of his childhood or college-life. Having said this, I must admit that the author was at least honest to describe his faults and to show himself at his worst to the readers.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I didn't like the story about the Massai mother, her chanting to the sun, and the death of her child. It seems that it did not fit in with the rest of his stories, as if he just wanted to add in a travel to Africa story. The story was so heavy and sad compared to the others. That being said, I really liked the book and the other stories. I laughed and cried.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

I find no story which is least fascinating because I really loved all the stories in the book. Each and every bit was so amazing.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Ann10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann10.html
Latest Review: Apparent Faith by Karl Forehand

Post by Ann10 »

I didn't agree with the story about honesty in Chapter 20. He gave someone a second chance, and he was given a second chance also. He didn't get a speeding ticket because he told the truth to the cop. Just because people are honest does not mean that they will not have consequences for their irresponsible behavior.
Philip Chepsingil
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-chepsingil.html
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope

Post by Philip Chepsingil »

LV2R wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 20:38 I didn't like the story about the Massai mother, her chanting to the sun, and the death of her child. It seems that it did not fit in with the rest of his stories, as if he just wanted to add in a travel to Africa story. The story was so heavy and sad compared to the others. That being said, I really liked the book and the other stories. I laughed and cried.
I also didn't like this story. The narrative described a sad situation. What action did he take to assist? His inaction made me dislike this story. If he didn't do anything to help, he should have not mentioned.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Philip Chepsingil wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 05:56
LV2R wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 20:38 I didn't like the story about the Massai mother, her chanting to the sun, and the death of her child. It seems that it did not fit in with the rest of his stories, as if he just wanted to add in a travel to Africa story. The story was so heavy and sad compared to the others. That being said, I really liked the book and the other stories. I laughed and cried.
I also didn't like this story. The narrative described a sad situation. What action did he take to assist? His inaction made me dislike this story. If he didn't do anything to help, he should have not mentioned.
I was beyond shocked by the Maasai mother story. It was an inappropriate story to include due to its intensity in comparison to the light touch of the other stories. I do understand not interfering in a cultural ritual that reflects long-held spiritual beliefs. That is not for an outsider to interfere with. What I don't understand is why in the world was a random white guy allowed to be there for such a private, spiritual, painful, transcendent moment for this mother. It felt horribly wrong to me. I couldn't stand the book and this sealed the deal for me. I thought it was a disgusting display of ignorance and privilege.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Philip Chepsingil
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-chepsingil.html

Post by Philip Chepsingil »

EvaDar wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 15:25
Philip Chepsingil wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 05:56
I was beyond shocked by the Maasai mother story. It was an inappropriate story to include due to its intensity in comparison to the light touch of the other stories. I do understand not interfering in a cultural ritual that reflects long-held spiritual beliefs. That is not for an outsider to interfere with. What I don't understand is why in the world was a random white guy allowed to be there for such a private, spiritual, painful, transcendent moment for this mother. It felt horribly wrong to me. I couldn't stand the book and this sealed the deal for me. I thought it was a disgusting display of ignorance and privilege.
If at all it happened as described! I doubt. In most of African religious rituals, presence of non-participants is rarely entertained.
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

I agree with many of the others--I did not particularly like the cupcake story or the running with the bulls story. I had not heard of any other stories similar to the cupcake story, so I am now a bit disappointed in that.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

Shrabastee wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 04:59 As a general rule, I least liked those stories which showed Rob as a self-obsessed person. Flying in a biplane, driving racing cars, running with bulls, wearing a wig in front of an audience and hiding when it came off, bragging about success in front of a bunch of kids were some of the examples which show him as an extremely egomaniac person. The stories with the con man and the earthquake which caused him enormous amount of money seemed plain show-off. I rather liked the simpler stories of his childhood or college-life. Having said this, I must admit that the author was at least honest to describe his faults and to show himself at his worst to the readers.
I completely agree with this! I felt that the bull story read like a party anecdote rather than a life lesson.
Favy Moses
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Favy Moses »

For me all the stories are just so fascinating so i don't have a least favorite story.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”