Which story did you like best?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Re: Which story did you like best?

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I liked many of the stories including the one showing Aunt Theresa's kindness, the one with Mr. Lampkin which urges us to pay attention and do our best, the one with Carol that shows us taking responsibility for one's action is necessary, the one with Uncle Fred which shows that unnecessary obsession with the negative things can be harmful, the one with the British co-passenger showing patience in the face of the author's rudeness, and finally the one where Peter lived because he simply chose not to die. These are my personal favourites.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I liked the story about taking candy without paying and how a man silently paid for him. Then, later when an old woman at the grocery store dropped a $10 bill and couldn't find it because a man behind her stepped on it, the author gives his own $10 to the woman. I really like how we should just do what is right by example, instead of scolding or accusing someone of wrong-doing. Right action speaks louder than judging at times.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

All Rob White's stories were remarkable but I mostly loved the first chapter, how he paid tribute to his aunt Theresa.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
dbulkley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbulkley.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by dbulkley »

Chapter One about the aunt and the earthquake hands down!
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1886
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

I like the part of the story best, when the author by chance happens to go to a barber suggested by his friend, rather than his usual one, and gets a desirable haircut! When he returns home, he looks at the mirror. From his new haircut, he discovers his true personality! It was to do what he truly wished in life, rather than following the traditional ideas and protocols of society!
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

I liked every single story. Every single one taught something and I loved it. Every chapter was extraordinary in this or that way. So every chapter was equally liked.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

AliceofX wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 08:53 My favorite was the very first chapter. I thought the story of his aunt Theresa, and the impact it had in his later life, was very personal and had a really important message. Which one did you like the best?
I couldn't agree more! And this is the only one that I can remember well after finishing a while ago
Dovineowuor
Currently Reading: My Stepbrother
Bookshelf Size: 38

Post by Dovineowuor »

I was amazed with the story about the deer . It actually entails fantastic message about respecting all lives and standing up for what you think is right. It really inspired my spirit to get up for I am able to
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Marsha JJ »

I liked the story about Uncle Fred turning the pebble into gold, and teaching the kids to not think about the black cat. To me this symbolizes how challenging it is to avoid negative thoughts (symbolized by the black cat). No matter how hard we try to avoid negative thoughts, they just keep popping into our head.
kipper_
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kipper.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by kipper_ »

I liked Aunt Theresa and the deer's chapter. The former is a story that many people have probably experienced in some way in their lives. Or maybe you know someone who has been an Aunt Theresa. The only reason the story comes to fruition is because the author learns about her reality through another source. Most of us aren't privy to that source, so it makes the story all the more powerful by reminding us that we are among the same people like Aunt Theresa.

The deer chapter was moving because it jostles the cultural and societal narrative with the author's personal perspective. It's very symbolic--the fight of man's will against society's ruling. It's a struggle that will continue for eons to come, but it never feels less relevant.
Favy Moses
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Favy Moses »

I think one of my best would be his collage experience and then Robs earthquake story was also one of my best.
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

I find the college experience very intriguing...I think it's my best.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”