Overall rating and opinion of "And Then I Met Margaret"

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Erikajoy94
Currently Reading: Martin luther
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erikajoy94.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "And Then I Met Margaret"

Post by Erikajoy94 »

lavellan wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 14:09
AliceofX wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 05:15 I should probably start by saying that I've never been a fan of self-help type books. I don't really have much to compare this book to, but I'll probably stay away from this genre in the future. What I disliked most about the book was how arrogant the author came off. Maybe I'm just a huge cynic, but I don't believe our destiny is entirely in our hands. There are people who say, "What doesn't kill you make you stronger." To me, that just means you weren't hit hard enough. You could have easily been left cripled and broken, but you weren't. That brings me to the crux of the problem. Sure, the author, like all of us, worked hard to get what he has, but in the end he also had the luck to not be given a heavier burden than he could carry. But then to go on and preach that you can achieve anything if you just work hard ... The world doesn't work like that. The world isn't fair and just. In the end, all we can say is, "There but for the grace of God."

To be completely fair, it was a well-written book with interesting stories. The "myth I believed" at the start of every chapter always made me intrigued, and made me want to continue reading. But in the end I just couldn't get behind the overall moral of the book.
I agree as well. Toward the beginning of the book I was more interested as the stories seemed to be relatable to me, but as the story went on, he became a total narcissist. I enjoyed that he was willing to point out his flaws, but it seemed like he never really grew out of his self-centered ways. I disliked that the stories all followed the same formula where he encountered a problem, solved it, and then helped someone else. It became very repetitive after a while. It also is pretty easy to say that you can overcome anything when you’ve never encountered any true adversity in life. This book would be enjoyable to casual readers, but it wouldn’t be very helpful to people who have serious problems in their lives.
This seems to be the general opinion of a lot of people, I'd read it now just to see if they are right.
Cmbteacher18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmbteacher18.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Post by Cmbteacher18 »

I enjoy memoirs, but the motivational aspect of this book didn't do it for me. I appreciate that the author is successful and has been able to apply these lessons to his own life, but I thought he seemed very self-centered. In almost every story, he positioned himself as the one imparting wisdom and making others' lives better, even though supposedly he was so changed and humbled by these lessons! I could have done without being told how great he was.
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Mailis wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 04:33 If people are sum of their DNA heritage plus life experience, then bookreaders add and absorb the experience of bookwriters to add to that sum daily. So we can grow and enjoy things that we otherwise would not probably get to experience in our daily lives on our own. I think I'll read this book, not because I myself exactly need extra motivation but because I'd like to know what motivates other people.
So you could say that you are actually motivated to read this book on motivation to discover the motivations that other individuals might have in their lives. :eusa-think: Interesting concept actually.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Shradha_gangwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shradha-gangwar.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Shradha_gangwar »

I have never read a self-help book before and “And then I Met Margaret” was a good introduction to this genre. The book wasn’t very long (only 196 pages) so they are perfect if you’re in need of motivation but don’t have lots of time. This book for me, was an honest, exploration of a man's search for meaning in a world in which he has achieved everything physically to achieve financial security, but no spiritual meaning.

Each chapter presents a lesson on life and discusses how to overcome any obstacle blocking your path. At the chapter end, White had reiterate the myth he originally believed to be true and then replace it with the revised belief that the lesson had taught him. In a very simple way, author accomplished a great deal in promoting the life lessons he cherishes, condensing them into a short phrase in order to illuminate the pieces of the chapter that brought him to change for the better. And it allowed the reader of what he learned in that particular chapter of his life.
Chiara_fernando
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiara-fernando.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by Chiara_fernando »

And Then I Met Margaret is a really awesome book! If you have time, kindly check my full review viewtopic.php?f=24&t=54800
Thank you! :tiphat:
+FlOwEr_+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by +FlOwEr_+ »

This book is a very nice lesson for every body. It teach us that no matter what there will always come a person in your life, the right person to help you and to learn and prepare you for the next phase of your life. I loved this book and it made me feel better in way.
Hildehraefen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildehraefen.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildehraefen »

I felt the book was very good, because it presented hard truths that many people struggled to accept in life, with a "spoonful of sugar" in the form of comical or touching stories. I really enjoyed it.
Hawkite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hawkite.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Hawkite »

When I first read the book's description, I was hoping for something along the lines of David Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day (a great book). In the end, And Then I Met Margaret is much more serious – though occasionally funny – and certainly leans more towards leading the reader towards some kind of revelation. These "revelations" may have been a bit obvious at times, but a part of me still enjoyed getting there, in the same way I enjoy reading The Financial Diet articles despite the fact they usually boil down to the same sort of advice. It may not be ground-breaking, but I found it gave me renewed motivation to kick off my year and achieve my goals.
eddyokoth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddyokoth.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eddyokoth »

To be sincere havent read the book but how am reading comment its seems a intreasting book to read hence looking forward.'And then i met margaret'
nfdaniel85
Currently Reading: A Sick Life
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdaniel85.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by nfdaniel85 »

[/quote]

It also is pretty easy to say that you can overcome anything when you’ve never encountered any true adversity in life. This book would be enjoyable to casual readers, but it wouldn’t be very helpful to people who have serious problems in their lives.
[/quote]

I haven't read this book, but this is my biggest problem with self help books. Most of the time, adversity to one is a walk in the park for another. You really need perspective on what "the bottom" or "coming from nothing" really is. I read A Long Way Gone when it came out in 2007. It really made me appreciate that all I had to deal with was my crazy, drug addicted biological mother. That's self help right there! P.S. I'd probably still read this book though :lol2:
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

And Then I Met Margaret is a collection of short stories which consists of spiritual guidance and inspirational lessons. Every day a new opportunity lets you learn something that you can apply and improve yourself as a person. You will definitely enjoy this motivational book.
innah96
Currently Reading: How A Good Person Can Really Win
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-innah96.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by innah96 »

Reading these comments, I think this book deserves a chance for sure. It seems like this book will make me realise things, and help me figure out a lot of life lessons.
Stapes
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stapes.html
Latest Review: Bitter sweet cocaine by alan salmon
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Stapes »

I am still considering this for my next read. It seems like a easy read that has a motivational and inspirational message, but as it is told in a ignorant manner, i am still undecided.
Mitchell Starc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mitchell-starc.html
Latest Review: Bread Fat by Joseph Eldor

Post by Mitchell Starc »

I should probably start by saying that I've never been a fan of self-help type books but this book is great in this case and I really liked it
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

This was the first self help book that i read, I watch a lot of motivational videos on YouTube and thought that it would be kind of the same. Well it's not. The book influenced me a lot more than the short videos and it certainly has more impact, especially the first few chapters. I liked the way it was written, a collection of short stories with the myth he believed and the changed truths. I couldn't relate to Rob in the later chapters, I found the stories meaningless and couldn't connect with them. Nonetheless Rob White is a self made successful person to whom I now look up to, and I recommend the book to anyone having troubles finding himself or his right place in life.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”