20 Similarities Between End of the Last Great Kingdom and Every Other Fantasy Book Written

Use this forum to discuss the December 2017 Book of the Month, End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Re: 20 Similarities Between End of the Last Great Kingdom and Every Other Fantasy Book Written

Post by NL Hartje »

nfdaniel85 wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 13:20 I do want to read this book, but your list made me want to start my yearly reread of Harry Potter early!
Yes to this! It made me want to reread Name of the Wind (which I totally recommend if you are a potter fan!)
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
nfdaniel85
Currently Reading: A Sick Life
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdaniel85.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by nfdaniel85 »

NL Hartje wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 04:35
nfdaniel85 wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 13:20 I do want to read this book, but your list made me want to start my yearly reread of Harry Potter early!
Yes to this! It made me want to reread Name of the Wind (which I totally recommend if you are a potter fan!)
Thank you! I will check it out!
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

Wow, I wonder how long it took you to come up with such a lengthy and informative list. Haven't read any of those books yet, but I feel like it would be like reading one book twice, when I do!
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

mtsnel006 wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 03:50 Wow, I wonder how long it took you to come up with such a lengthy and informative list. Haven't read any of those books yet, but I feel like it would be like reading one book twice, when I do!
Ha. What is sad is that my inner-nerd is so strong that I noted these similarities while I was reading. It was just a simple copy paste after that :P
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
innah96
Currently Reading: How A Good Person Can Really Win
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-innah96.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by innah96 »

Those are quite some similarities, but I have to admit that they're always be topics that will overlap in the fantasy world, as they are so well-known, and oh so common. How many wizards do we know, or magic schools? Or people with special powers that go out of their shell and become brave and win the final battle? Too many - too many...
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

innah96 wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 09:49 Too many - too many...
YES! Which is why I love to reward truly new ideas with ovations for originality! :techie-studyingbrown:
-Dr. Seuss
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

innah96 wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 09:49 Those are quite some similarities, but I have to admit that they're always be topics that will overlap in the fantasy world, as they are so well-known, and oh so common. How many wizards do we know, or magic schools? Or people with special powers that go out of their shell and become brave and win the final battle? Too many - too many...
Exactly! Also, books (and authors, and singers, and athletes, etc) will always be compared. I haven't read this one yet, but I'm interested in doing so and the description reminds me of The Magicians. Which, at the time of the release, people were calling "an adult version of Harry Potter." Every great thing always seems to be called, "the next XYZ."

I don't think that really takes away from enjoying them though. At least it doesn't for me.
Curious mind
Favorite Book: The Goldfinch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-curious-mind.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Curious mind »

I haven’t read this one so I can’t comment specifically but I think as long it doesn’t make the story too predictable it doesn’t stop me enjoying it. So many ideas are inspired by mythology, and retelling stories in a different way keeps the messages that go with them alive for new generations. A few people mentioned the soul splitting into 7 and I found an article online called The Tales of Damaged Souls: The Mythology of the Horcrux which discusses this ancient concept.
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Haute_Coffee wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 17:22 the description reminds me of The Magicians. W
Yes! I've also read The Magicians and see the similarities! I agree with you about it not deterring from my enjoyment. That's what I said in my review!
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Curious mind wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 04:12 A few people mentioned the soul splitting into 7 and I found an article online called The Tales of Damaged Souls: The Mythology of the Horcrux which discusses this ancient concept.
Wow, this is new info for me! Thank you for sharing, I will be reading this article :techie-reference:
-Dr. Seuss
StarsAtNight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by StarsAtNight »

Honestly, there are probably even more ones (at least, I can remember three more similar to Harry Potter)
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

Something about the idea of "magic schools" appeals to me so much. I don't know if it's taking something so ordinary and relatable like school and applying it to something so fantastical, or if it's the idea of peeking behind the curtain. I just know I like it. It's the main thing attracting me to this book.
Sorchadorcha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sorchadorcha.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sorchadorcha »

I love having a compiled list of these similarities as I spotted some myself. That being said, I think every novel follows certain cliches especially when written with a specific genre in mind. It's hard to keep a reader on their toes with the countless amount of accessible books these days.
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
mingyums
Currently Reading: Sweet Mandarin
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mingyums.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by mingyums »

Amazing list and very observant of you! I've read all the other books you've mentioned in your list but definitely didn't pick up on all the similarities. I don't think it's a bad thing that there's so many similarities, in the end I still enjoyed the book and I felt with some of the similar elements that author used them in different enough ways that gave the concept a new twist.
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

mingyums wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 13:01 I don't think it's a bad thing that there's so many similarities, in the end I still enjoyed the book
I completely agree with you (and said so in my review)! The more I ponder this list, the more similarities I find though! 8)
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Discuss "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose”