The Ages of the Battle Mages

Use this forum to discuss the December 2017 Book of the Month, End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose.
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Re: The Ages of the Battle Mages

Post by Sarah G »

I have to say I found it quite interesting. these hcaracters were forced to grow p quickly so although we look a their age as a number and compare it to our society that is not the case. They are going through traumatic experiences and I would expect more of a psychological effect on them though.
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think it's okay in this instance. This is a different world from our own, and I don't think we can hold them to the same standards. It wasn't that long ago here that girls would get married at the age of 13...
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

I do think 13 is very young, but at the same time the idea of training children at a very young age reappears in a lot of books and movies. On a broader level though, I do think that in a way this shows how their society raises these children and forces them to grow up, which I like.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It does seem to vary by society. Who are we to say what is right and wrong as far as age in a different society?
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I have no issue with making kids take responsibility. But I think the author could have held off on the violence. Decapitating victims and raising their heads on stakes may be just too much.
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

If this is real, for me Teenage children should not be trained for this kind of battle. Teenage should be learning more, reading books, learning to cook. Learning to communicate well. In fact if there is something that idea should be thought for Teenagers it must be Learning how to set up their own business. Though I watch some of the episode of Harry Potter but I don't buy this kind situation for our Teenager. Let's teach them how to do Trading or Business. The war is in "Trade War."
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

As others have said, many books do this kind of thing, and their characters seldom seem to have to deal with the emotional fallout from death and killing, even when they are the ones doing it. And teens seems to accept that as normal. I remember the first time one of my kids was explaining the Hunger Games to me. The death and killing were not a big deal, even though many of the participants were very young, but it made me feel physically ill.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

I hate to imply that we tend to be pedophiles when choosing our heroes. The psychology behind this is the desirability of young heroes doing only half of what an adult could do, whereas an adult doing twice as much would not yet appear as impressive.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

I genuinely think these people had some customs that needed reform and this was one of them. I believe these kids needed a little more development before they had to worry about dying. I am very happy Brimstone was the first in years to attempt that dual, and I am even happier he survived.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Haven't read this book yet. Such a lively discussion.
KamalK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kamalk.html
Latest Review: It's Just Business... the Romancing of Ahjumma by Wanda Voy

Post by KamalK »

Christina Rose wrote: 01 Dec 2017, 19:26 The young battle mages are among our heroes in End of the Last Great Kingdom. Even before war struck, the training these young students went through sometimes resulted in death. How do you feel about the author using such young characters for these roles, and about the things they go through even while still in school?

My feelings are a bit mixed. For example, Brimstone could have died during his trial, and I think that’s a challenge a 13 year old shouldn’t endure. However, there’s no sensible way to test the strengths of the future mages or to train them once they become mages. I also think their overall development is essential to the novel. They need to be able to grow, and adults set in their ways wouldn’t be right for the part. I’d love to hear your thoughts.
I agree. I believe that the reason most authors choose their protagonists as young people, or children is because as the story moves forward , character development becomes necessary. For adults, there can be changes, but their core nature becomes fixed and that can't really be changed.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I wasn't bothered by the ages of the mages when considering the context of battle. For me, it was very in keeping with many current young adult fictions.

I was, however, put off by their ages in terms of the romance between Brimstone and Heat.

Typing this it seems finicky that I should say they are old enough to fight but not love. I suppose it's the old soul in me that turns away from the uber young romance. (Let's get them to 16 at least!)
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Ljmengies
Currently Reading: Lost in the Reflecting Pool
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ljmengies.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Ljmengies »

CataclysmicKnight wrote: 08 Dec 2017, 22:17 Even Harry Potter focused on young children who were facing crazy challenges, and while Brimstone's duel was far, far more dangerous than the things they faced in class in HP, things could still get really dangerous!
I have also noticed this in fantasy novels! Especially ones that I am re-reading at a later age. Suddenly the protagonists who were so cool and relatable are horrifyingly young. I want to protect them and tell them to let the adults handle it! But I think there's something very empowering, as a young kid, reading about people your age who are smarter than adults. Having a role model who could save the world and not be reliant on adults, as most kids are, was something I sought out in all my novels as a teen.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

nlhartje wrote: 28 Jan 2018, 22:48 I wasn't bothered by the ages of the mages when considering the context of battle. For me, it was very in keeping with many current young adult fictions.

I was, however, put off by their ages in terms of the romance between Brimstone and Heat.

Typing this it seems finicky that I should say they are old enough to fight but not love. I suppose it's the old soul in me that turns away from the uber young romance. (Let's get them to 16 at least!)
I think the mages had to grow up quickly in general, therefore falling in love at a young age kind of comes with the territory. If for no other reason, it gives the mages a stronger bond when they need it most.
eBookreviewer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8714">The Angel's Game</a>
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebookreviewer.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by eBookreviewer »

My feelings are a bit mixed too but the real learning comes from the experience so this makes the book a bit more realistic.

Return to “Discuss "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose”