What themes did you encounter when reading this book?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2017 Book of the Month, End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: What themes did you encounter when reading this book?

Post by Christina Rose »

Quartz wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 20:10 I think friendship and bravery were the strongest in this novel. Brimstone and Crimson were all brave when fighting the Order, and had strong friendships with each other. Forgiveness could also be one because Brimstone forgave Neutron for what he did.
Forgiveness isn’t one that is mentioned often, but you’re right. The theme is definitely explored in this novel. And, that moment between Neutron and Brimstone is an important moment in their friendship, and is also important to them as a team.
ktrae910
Currently Reading: Bad to the Bone
Bookshelf Size: 7569
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktrae910.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs

Post by ktrae910 »

Beyond bravery and resilience, I found that resignation was a major theme. There were both, the 'if it is to be, it's up to me' resignation and the 'if you can't beat them, join them' resignation. Brimstone and Heat were the major players in the former as they both stepped up for the fight. Brimstone, however, was most wise in knowing when to exhibit the last. He saved his friends by giving a false confession, he saved Iron Rock by agreeing to go with the Order, and he cooperated with his captors as long as it was to his advantage or the advantage of others.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs
powergirl
Currently Reading: The One
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by powergirl »

The main theme I encountered in this book was conflict. Sulphurium is plagued with conflict for over a thousand years with wars being fought against oppressive rulers and against subjugation. The other themes I encountered in this book were betrayal, slavery, bravery, loyalty and kindness. The author uses these themes masterfully to not only make the characters interesting, but to also make the plot memorable.
"To be or not to be that's the question" William Shakespeare
Stapes
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stapes.html
Latest Review: Bitter sweet cocaine by alan salmon
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Stapes »

Christina Rose wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 22:59
Anirudh Badri wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 07:37 I felt that loyalty and bravery were the predominant themes that were explored in this book. While there were many other aspects to this, these were the dominating factors.
These two themes were definitely big throughout the novel, and not just among team Crimson.
Its seems like a lot of people can agree on these 2 main themes. They usually make for really strong characters and a relatable story.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

ktrae910 wrote: 09 Dec 2017, 09:20 Beyond bravery and resilience, I found that resignation was a major theme. There were both, the 'if it is to be, it's up to me' resignation and the 'if you can't beat them, join them' resignation. Brimstone and Heat were the major players in the former as they both stepped up for the fight. Brimstone, however, was most wise in knowing when to exhibit the last. He saved his friends by giving a false confession, he saved Iron Rock by agreeing to go with the Order, and he cooperated with his captors as long as it was to his advantage or the advantage of others.
I hadn’t thought about this as a theme. Very insightful, and very true.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

powergirl wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 10:01 The main theme I encountered in this book was conflict. Sulphurium is plagued with conflict for over a thousand years with wars being fought against oppressive rulers and against subjugation. The other themes I encountered in this book were betrayal, slavery, bravery, loyalty and kindness. The author uses these themes masterfully to not only make the characters interesting, but to also make the plot memorable.
Yes, conflict was a huge theme. I agree that the author uses these themes masterfully.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Stapes wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 13:15
Christina Rose wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 22:59
Anirudh Badri wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 07:37 I felt that loyalty and bravery were the predominant themes that were explored in this book. While there were many other aspects to this, these were the dominating factors.
These two themes were definitely big throughout the novel, and not just among team Crimson.
Its seems like a lot of people can agree on these 2 main themes. They usually make for really strong characters and a relatable story.
I agree. Loyalty and bravery do make for very strong characters, and that is reflected in this book.
Bancroft
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bancroft.html
Latest Review: "Unshielded Past" by Patti Morelli

Post by Bancroft »

One of the most prominent is bravery. Brimstone shows this often during the many battles he faces. others are strength and courage
Amie Gene
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 244">Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter Series #4)</a>
Currently Reading: The Selection (the selection #1)
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amie-gene.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amie Gene »

A theme I encountered as I read the book was sacrificial love. Brimstone proved time and time again that he loved his friends by stepping in the line of fire for them. With Wartington, he commanded that he be turned over to save the town, and when that looked like it wasn't going to work, he defeated Frost to save the community. He made many risky decisions that could have hurt him badly because he wanted to protect his friends.
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose
Bancroft
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bancroft.html

Post by Bancroft »

Christina Rose wrote: 01 Dec 2017, 18:07 I found several themes covered throughout this book. One of the most prominent is bravery. Brimstone shows this often during the many battles he faces. What other themes did you encounter while reading this book? Are there particular parts of the book when these themes are most prominent?
I am gonna say the same again that strength and bravery are the majors :?: :?: :?: :?:
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

Loyalty,friendship, courage and honor are some of the themes. Also strength and resilience.
MsDree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msdree.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MsDree »

I agree with all themes spotted by fellow readers. They're very prominent and help in weaving what seemed to be for me, a perfect book anyone can relate to. Loyalty, friendship, courage, resilience, strength and bravery.
"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeline L'Engle
David_92
Currently Reading: Ronaldo: Rudi's Birthday Extravaganza
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-92.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by David_92 »

Bravery , courage and loyalty. Those are the themes that I have encountered in this book. By the way if you hold onto these themes that I have mentioned you can win the trust of anyone.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

I encountered the themes of bravery, friendship and loyalty. I'm impressed by Brimstone and his friends' strength and bravery against great opposition.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

I encountered the themes of bravery, friendship and loyalty. I'm impressed by Brimstone and his friends' strength and bravery against great opposition.

Return to “Discuss "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose”