November Picture Books Discussion

For November 2017, we will be reading picture books.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

November Picture Books Discussion

Post by Heidi M Simone »

November is National Picture Book Month!

Picture books are ones that contain several illustrations and written mainly for children. The illustrations are just as important, or more so, as the words found on each page. The images used could be from pencil drawings to watercolor to graphic imaging and so much more!

Specifically in the United States, picture books have become so significant that in the late 1930s, the Caldecott Medal was first presented. It continues to be awarded annually to the "most distinguished American picture book for children".

In general, picture books all over the world are such an important aspect in children's lives, reading ability, and overall enjoyment. They can be used for entertaining as well as teachable moments.

There are picture books that fall under non-fiction (i.e. biographies), wordless picture books, retelling of classics, and several others.

For discussion, here are some questions we can think about:
  • What did you read?
    Describe the genre that your picture book fell under. How did you know it fell under this genre?
    Did you enjoy the book?
    Was it one you read as a child or did you read it for the first time this month?
    Would you recommend this read?
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Carol Cisne
Currently Reading: Natsume's Book of Friends, Vol. 12
Bookshelf Size: 1072
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-cisne.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Carol Cisne »

I recently reread Life Doesn't Frighten Me by Maya Angelou and Jean-Michel Basquiat recently out of nostalgia. I remember coming across it in the library as a child (around 1st grade) and was drawn to the abstract looking art. I wasn't familiar with Maya Angelou yet and just started getting a grasp on reading in general. It made an impression on me and has become one of my most beloved books.

I enjoyed it the first time I read it and I still enjoy it now. I remember rereading it at various times in life for many different reasons, it's one of those books I cherish in my small personal collection and would definitely share with future family (my children, nephews, nieces, etc) and friends.

I didn't think it was a picture book at first but rereading it again I think it would qualify as one. The book is large to accommodate the striking art and the poem itself could have fit on a single page. I guess it falls under the poetry category of picture books but wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong, picture books seem to crossover through multiple genres.

I think this book appeals to many people. Anyone who would know the artist or author, as well as anything along the theme of eclectic art style with powerful poetry. If nothing else, it warrants a quick look over even if it's not your taste in literature.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Return to “November 2017 Genre Discussion”