Age appropriate?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2017 Book of the Month, 30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.
eBookreviewer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8714">The Angel's Game</a>
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebookreviewer.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Re: Age appropriate?

Post by eBookreviewer »

It should be over 15
Emma13
Currently Reading: The Captive Mind
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma13.html
Latest Review: A Slice Of Chile by Dr Terry Hannan

Post by Emma13 »

HeatherTasker wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 14:54
Whenever I'm in doubt about a book or movie I check it out first. If it's a little questionable, we have a conversation about it first. If it's out of bounds, I will give examples as to why and tell my son when might be a better time.
This is excellent advice. You can't (and shouldn't) keep your children away from the world, but you can certainly try to help them understand the things they are seeing, whether on TV, in books, or in real life.

These conversations should also help foster a relationship where the child feels comfortable going to parents to talk about tricky topics.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

The contents of this book should not be read by teenagers under 15. Even though they can readily buy/download the book to read it still doesn't justify providing the book to anyone below 15.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Hephzi Lolami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hephzi-lolami.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Hephzi Lolami »

One thing is for sure, our level of thinking differs greatly. For a teen below fifteen there's no way it wouldn't impact the teenagers life. No way. Also, if the person has been reading such books for years, they might be accustomed to it already but I'll still say it isn't appropriate for you her than, maybe seventeen. Yes.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

I definitely agree with those who leave the choice up to the parents. My parents voiced their opinions on the books that I read when I was younger and I'm grateful. I left books behinds that I didn't truly understand back then.
nfdaniel85
Currently Reading: A Sick Life
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdaniel85.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by nfdaniel85 »

I started reading Anne Rice around the age of 12. Most of my friends read sexual explicit books, and when we got our hands on a copy of The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty, hardcore erotica, we all read it in turn. Sex was so taboo, but we had these feelings we had to deal with. Books like this started discussions and made us comfortable and open with each other. AND not one of us had sex at a young age.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

I understand it contains pretty graphic sex scenes so I wouldn't want my teenager to read this to be honest. I understand the interest of opposite sex is constantly growing at that age but I wouldn't want my kid to start revving his sex drive while reading, I'd like to think that reading would be at least one activity that is not overflowing with forced ideas of sexiness, twerking and doing it.
Snrains13
Currently Reading: Animal Farm / 1984
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snrains13.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Snrains13 »

Frankly, I believe those above the age of 12 (around puberty) should be well educated in mature topics or at least on their way to being educated. Reading a book that might have mature scenes is better than alternatives. I was always insanely bookish, I was reading before kindergarten and I've loved it ever since. I was reading books with more mature topics and graphic scenes, such as books by V.C. Andrews when I was ten, my parents never discouraged me from constantly reading. I think this book is fine for anyone at the reading level.
innah96
Currently Reading: How A Good Person Can Really Win
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-innah96.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by innah96 »

I wonder if this book would be suitable for my kid sister - she is almost 14.
Emmanae
Currently Reading: The Power
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanae.html
Latest Review: Discover Your Thinner Self by David Medansky

Post by Emmanae »

It probably depends on the fifteen year old in question. There was a good amount of sexual content in this one, so it would depend. I probably would have loved it at fifteen.
BookWild
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwild.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by BookWild »

My daughter is 15 and she does not read books with explicit sex scenes. She has never even expressed interest in reading a book with them, and I'm ok with that!
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

Snrains13 wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 19:45 Frankly, I believe those above the age of 12 (around puberty) should be well educated in mature topics or at least on their way to being educated. Reading a book that might have mature scenes is better than alternatives. I was always insanely bookish, I was reading before kindergarten and I've loved it ever since. I was reading books with more mature topics and graphic scenes, such as books by V.C. Andrews when I was ten, my parents never discouraged me from constantly reading. I think this book is fine for anyone at the reading level.
I agree with you here.. Teenagers start learning about sex around 12 to 13 years old and it would be more than ok for me personally if one of my kids had read this book, as long as they would know that it's fictional material.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
V_bansal2912
Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-bansal2912.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
fav_author_id: 2597

Post by V_bansal2912 »

I think a parent should be the one to decide which book your child can read or cannot. There are books which have been published for 10year olds but I would never want my kid to read it even when she is 20.
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

I think it should be for more mature readers. I understand that they will get it if they really want to, but the parent should decide if it is appropriate or not. One of my kids would be fine reading this at 15 but the other is less mature so I wouldn't recommend it.
dphelps1113
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dphelps1113.html
Latest Review: Sigfried&rsquo;s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by dphelps1113 »

Things have changed since I was fifteen but like someone stated before, we cannot prevent a fifteen year old from reading this novel when there is immediate access.

Return to “Discuss "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD”