Age appropriate?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2017 Book of the Month, 30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.
christie_lynn33
Currently Reading: Success with Goals
Bookshelf Size: 7

Age appropriate?

Post by christie_lynn33 »

Do you think this book is suitable for readers under the age of 15? Is it more a matter of how well they can handle more mature topics?
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

We cannot prevent a fifteen year girl or a boy to read any book that they may seen that looks interesting because of the appearance of the book. But Parents can always guide their children what to read and not to read. And let's trust their judgement and mindset. But always there to correct them if necessary.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
kjoan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3033">The Lost Symbol</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjoan.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kjoan »

Well considering that 14yr olds read Blaze Harlequin books that are little more than a heavily biased male view of sex, I wouldn't be shocked to see a fifteen yr old reading this book. However they might get the wrong message from it so it's definately to be left for mature readers
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
chrstnafd
Currently Reading: Out of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by chrstnafd »

I think it depends on how we handle it. I'm only 17 but still planning to read it. But if you think the scences are a bit of too much, we could always ask for a parental consent. We are still minors by the way.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

You certainly can not prevent a young person from reading anything they are dead set on. However, I would encourage them away from this book because of the content.
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

We can always employ parental guidance on such matters where a book contain explicit content. This will prevent young readers from getting the wrong message.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

Unfortunately, due to the technology available to the young nowadays, there is virtually very little chance we could police the viewing or reading preference of the minors. If we could effectively restrict the minors from reading, say this book, they still have access to much worse media.
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

The sex scenes aren't described in a very literary way imo, so I wouldn't think it would be good for anyone under 16 or 17.
tonysgirl0805
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonysgirl0805.html
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens

Post by tonysgirl0805 »

I have not read this book yet but based on the reviews I have read it seems to be pretty explicit. Kids see these things on TV and in movies so if they are not getting them from books they are getting it somewhere else. These days kids that age are having sex and even getting pregnant sad but true. So if they are mature enough to have sex why not read about it? I would think in the end it would be up to the parents to make this decision though they would be the one buying it in the end you would think.
HeatherTasker
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by HeatherTasker »

Roggyrus wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 08:11 Unfortunately, due to the technology available to the young nowadays, there is virtually very little chance we could police the viewing or reading preference of the minors. If we could effectively restrict the minors from reading, say this book, they still have access to much worse media.
This is a very good point.
HeatherTasker
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by HeatherTasker »

tonysgirl0805 wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 11:05 I have not read this book yet but based on the reviews I have read it seems to be pretty explicit. Kids see these things on TV and in movies so if they are not getting them from books they are getting it somewhere else. These days kids that age are having sex and even getting pregnant sad but true. So if they are mature enough to have sex why not read about it? I would think in the end it would be up to the parents to make this decision though they would be the one buying it in the end you would think.
I agree it should be up to the parents, though sometimes it'd be nice if there was some kind of rough guide to what age group a child should be in to read a book.

Whenever I'm in doubt about a book or movie I check it out first. If it's a little questionable, we have a conversation about it first. If it's out of bounds, I will give examples as to why and tell my son when might be a better time.
Naresh607
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by Naresh607 »

I don't think it is appropriate for children under 15 not even under parental guidance
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

tonysgirl0805 wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 11:05 I have not read this book yet but based on the reviews I have read it seems to be pretty explicit. Kids see these things on TV and in movies so if they are not getting them from books they are getting it somewhere else. These days kids that age are having sex and even getting pregnant sad but true. So if they are mature enough to have sex why not read about it? I would think in the end it would be up to the parents to make this decision though they would be the one buying it in the end you would think.
I partially agree with you, one way or the other the 15 year-olds are going to be exposed to explicit scenes somehow. It is up to adults to guide the young ones. Personally I don't think the book is suitable for 15 year-olds; I actually think books with explicit content such as this one should have a 'not suitable for under 16' tag on them.
tonysgirl0805

Post by tonysgirl0805 »

I understand where you are coming from I honestly do but how do you think they are going to be prevented from accessing this?
tonysgirl0805

Post by tonysgirl0805 »

HeatherTasker wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 14:54
I agree it should be up to the parents, though sometimes it'd be nice if there was some kind of rough guide to what age group a child should be in to read a book.

Whenever I'm in doubt about a book or movie I check it out first. If it's a little questionable, we have a conversation about it first. If it's out of bounds, I will give examples as to why and tell my son when might be a better time.
I agree those are both great ideas!

Return to “Discuss "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD”