Overall rating and opinion of 30th Century: Escape by Mark

Use this forum to discuss the November 2017 Book of the Month, 30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.
sourav15
Currently Reading: Percy Jackson: Heroes of Olympus
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sourav15.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Re: Overall rating and opinion of 30th Century: Escape by Ma

Post by sourav15 »

As some of the reviewers mentioned here, I do not have a problem with the adult scenes but I do think sometimes the story lost its focus among those.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
DDunstock
Currently Reading: Casimir Bridge
Bookshelf Size: 281
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ddunstock.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by DDunstock »

I really disliked this book. The sexual themes didn't bother me, but the lack of plot and good writing did...
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson

Post by Christina Rose »

DDunstock wrote:I really disliked this book. The sexual themes didn't bother me, but the lack of plot and good writing did...
I didn't completely dislike the book, but I agree there wasn't a strong plot. Some aspects felt really forced, like the dialogue, at times.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I rated the book 2 out of 4 stars because though the plot was initially captivating the very many sexual escapades and archeology and physics jargon distracted the story line. I obviously disliked the sexual scenes, like many people and the scientific mumbo jumbo. I also disliked the fact that Jennifer got into a depression because DNA testing confirmed she was who she had been impersonating all along!! I liked the twists towards the end of the story.... a twin sister, time travel from the 32nd century and the return of the SS team to their time.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Cotwani wrote:I rated the book 2 out of 4 stars because though the plot was initially captivating the very many sexual escapades and archeology and physics jargon distracted the story line. I obviously disliked the sexual scenes, like many people and the scientific mumbo jumbo. I also disliked the fact that Jennifer got into a depression because DNA testing confirmed she was who she had been impersonating all along!! I liked the twists towards the end of the story.... a twin sister, time travel from the 32nd century and the return of the SS team to their time.
I hadn't really thought much about her reaction to the DNA testing. Very insightful! Thanks for sharing!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I do not recommend this book at all. Jennifer had an identity crisis, and so did the book. The sci-fi part had some excitement but it was drowned by all the sex, technical jargon and unlimited aloha's. The detailed sexual encounters were totally unnecessary. I can give the book only 1 out of 4 stars.
Joel Acosta
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Joel Acosta »

ReadingRebecca wrote:My overall rating was 2 out of 4 stars. I liked the tropical setting the most. I disliked the sexual relationships the least, partly because they were not hinted at in any blurbs I read (and they were rather blatant not to be at least mentioned) and partly because they did not fit into the story in my opinion. I would not recommend this book due to the sexual content. I didn't care for the book myself, but I saw others likes it.
Regarding science, I love the general topic about future possible science. About sexual content I like the one that is pure love, not explicit; to such a point a 6 years old child can read it and not be disturbed by any of the words. That kind of ¨sexual content¨ is allright. Honestly, authors these days have no creativity in regards of using this topic. Last of all, these types of actions on the characters of the book makes it just another book of the bunch, trying to feed the morbo in readers to get them to buy more books like these, when you can send a message through a real channel. I would re-write the sexual parts of the book to such a point that it could be labelled as another book.

Overall rating: 1 out of 4 stars
ktrae910
Currently Reading: Bad to the Bone
Bookshelf Size: 7569
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktrae910.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs

Post by ktrae910 »

I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars because the science it is based on is sound science and I could totally imagine the fiction Levin derives. I took away one star for the graphic sex scenes. I didn't think the dialogue was forced as others have mentioned. I thought it flowed evenly because Jennifer was leading. Take out the sex scenes and it's a great read!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

It sounds like the sex scenes really draw the attention away from the plot... not exactly my cup of tea. I don’t mind when they are included sparingly but when they are excessive it really takes my focus away.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

The futurist concept for this novel was intriguing as well as the time travel element; however, the depth of the characters was lacking. I could not bring myself to care what happened to Jennifer and those around her, and this made the book hard to continue reading. :(
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I think my biggest issue with this book is the writing. The narrative doesn't flow well and just feels unnatural in places. Also - though the actual explicit scenes didn't bother me, they didn't always feel like they were meaningful to the story or progressed the plot. I think this book could have used some story editing.
boringyanks
Currently Reading: Indian Hill 3
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boringyanks.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Reading Device: B01J6RPGKG

Post by boringyanks »

A truly hypnotic sci-fi adventure
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Khanvold
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Khanvold »

After reading this book it was hard to come up with a conclusion of how I feel about it. After a long thought process I give this book a 2 out of 4. It had a fairly decent plot but I just was not able to divulge myself into it like I would in a book thats a 3 or 4 out of 4. But I would recommend others to read this to get their own personal opinions about it.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

bluegreenmarina wrote:It sounds like the sex scenes really draw the attention away from the plot... not exactly my cup of tea. I don’t mind when they are included sparingly but when they are excessive it really takes my focus away.
I agree. Not only were the scenes excessive, they didn’t really add anything of value to the book.

-- 15 Nov 2017, 23:30 --
JuliaKay wrote:The futurist concept for this novel was intriguing as well as the time travel element; however, the depth of the characters was lacking. I could not bring myself to care what happened to Jennifer and those around her, and this made the book hard to continue reading. :(
I found most, if not all, of the characters to be pretty unrelatable. So, I could definitely see why you wouldn’t care about the outcome or their fates.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I loved the book and the unique plot and I rated it 4 out of 4 stars.

-- 16 Nov 2017, 16:21 --

I loved the book and the unique plot and I rated it 4 out of 4 stars.

Return to “Discuss "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD”