Overall rating and opinion of 30th Century: Escape by Mark

Use this forum to discuss the November 2017 Book of the Month, 30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall rating and opinion of 30th Century: Escape by Mark

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the November 2017 Book of the Month, "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.

What is your overall opinion of "30th Century: Escape" ?What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not? Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on

Bookshelves.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Moshood Habeeb
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Moshood Habeeb »

A book that looked into the future creating a vivid picture that illuminates the myopic view we have about advancement in science and technology.
Rebecca_Rivera
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingrebecca.html
Latest Review: Weak Love and Strong Love by Hollie Jean Huff
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Rebecca_Rivera »

My overall rating was 2 out of 4 stars. I liked the tropical setting the most. I disliked the sexual relationships the least, partly because they were not hinted at in any blurbs I read (and they were rather blatant not to be at least mentioned) and partly because they did not fit into the story in my opinion. I would not recommend this book due to the sexual content. I didn't care for the book myself, but I saw others likes it.
* *I miss snow!* *
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

ReadingRebecca wrote:My overall rating was 2 out of 4 stars. I liked the tropical setting the most. I disliked the sexual relationships the least, partly because they were not hinted at in any blurbs I read (and they were rather blatant not to be at least mentioned) and partly because they did not fit into the story in my opinion. I would not recommend this book due to the sexual content. I didn't care for the book myself, but I saw others likes it.
Really? When I looked into reading this book, I know that I saw somewhere (I'm thinking Amazon but I could be wrong) that there was explicit sexual content including all different kinds of hookups. That isn't on there any more?
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I gave it 1 out of 4 stars. I really struggled to find anything that I liked about this book. I didn't think it was very well written and a lot of the science and history subject matter just seemed to drag on way too much. The second half of the book is mainly made up of completely unbelievable sexual encounters where everyone Jennifer meets wants to have sex with not only her, but her partner as well. The dialogue is robotic. Jennifer being from another century and not knowing the jargon or dialect of the time she travels to explains some of this, but why do none of the other characters speak in easy conversational tones?

This book clearly wasn't my cup of tea and I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

kandscreeley wrote:
ReadingRebecca wrote:My overall rating was 2 out of 4 stars. I liked the tropical setting the most. I disliked the sexual relationships the least, partly because they were not hinted at in any blurbs I read (and they were rather blatant not to be at least mentioned) and partly because they did not fit into the story in my opinion. I would not recommend this book due to the sexual content. I didn't care for the book myself, but I saw others likes it.
Really? When I looked into reading this book, I know that I saw somewhere (I'm thinking Amazon but I could be wrong) that there was explicit sexual content including all different kinds of hookups. That isn't on there any more?
I downloaded the book from Kindle Unlimited yesterday, and the warning is still there in the "About This Book" section. ("Contains graphic multi-partner sex with M/F and F/F pairings")

I'm not sure if there's a warning in a more obvious spot, though.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Christina Rose wrote:
kandscreeley wrote:
I downloaded the book from Kindle Unlimited yesterday, and the warning is still there in the "About This Book" section. ("Contains graphic multi-partner sex with M/F and F/F pairings")

Thank you! I knew I had seen it. I always try to look pretty thoroughly at the books. However, if you aren't looking, I guess that would be easy to overlook.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

kandscreeley wrote:
Christina Rose wrote:
kandscreeley wrote:

Thank you! I knew I had seen it. I always try to look pretty thoroughly at the books. However, if you aren't looking, I guess that would be easy to overlook.
I'm pretty thorough when checking out the books, too. It's probably my OCD. But, if you automatically close the pop-up, you'd miss the warning if it's not stated elsewhere.
Maulyne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maulyne.html
Latest Review: Small Change by Keddie Hughes

Post by Maulyne »

I rate the book 3 out of four stars .the book is more sexual explicit .thats what i didn't like about it ?In addition itrs sci/fi book a genre of which I least like
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Maulyne wrote:I rate the book 3 out of four stars .the book is more sexual explicit .thats what i didn't like about it ?In addition itrs sci/fi book a genre of which I least like
It sounds like the explicit scenes were disliked by most who read the book!
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I rated this one 2 out of 4 stars. The underlying premise was a good one but it got lost with the onset of an insane number of sexual encounters. I did enjoy seeing Anne and Marty working towards being better partners in parenting. I would not recommend this book to others, for the reason mentioned above: too much sex that did not add to the fulfillment of the story.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

CatInTheHat wrote:I rated this one 2 out of 4 stars. The underlying premise was a good one but it got lost with the onset of an insane number of sexual encounters. I did enjoy seeing Anne and Marty working towards being better partners in parenting. I would not recommend this book to others, for the reason mentioned above: too much sex that did not add to the fulfillment of the story.
I agree that it was nice to see (or read about) two people working together to be better for the children.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars and in my opinion, it is one of the best sci-fy thriller stories that I have ever read. Ithe reminded me about the Solaris Saga by Janet Mcnulty.

-- 06 Nov 2017, 11:33 --

I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars and in my opinion, it is one of the best sci-fy thriller stories that I have ever read. Ithe reminded me about the Solaris Saga by Janet Mcnulty.

-- 06 Nov 2017, 11:34 --

Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote:I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars and in my opinion, it is one of the best sci-fy thriller stories that I have ever read. Ithe reminded me about the Solaris Saga by Janet Mcnulty.

-- 06 Nov 2017, 11:33 --

-- 06 Nov 2017, 11:34 --

I only read the first book in the "Solaris Saga," so I don't yet see the similarities, but may if I read more. I'm glad you enjoyed this book so much.
Tpop
Currently Reading: An Obstinate Vanity
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tpop.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Tpop »

Unlike most of the others that have commented here, I don't mind the adult scenes so far. However, at times, I feel like the focus is more on those scenes than the sci-fy aspects.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Return to “Discuss "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD”