Is Buckhorn Evil

Discuss the October 2017 Book of the Month, Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon.

View Strong Heart on Bookshelves

View Strong Heart on Amazon
Zain Farough
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-farough.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Icon Is Buckhorn Evil

Post by Zain Farough »

This discussion is about Buckhorn. It is not sure that is he evil or is he a good man. Guys come on tell your opinions
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

This is a good question and I'm curious why there's no engagement. I'd love to answer the question,but I haven't read the book.
Bancroft
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bancroft.html
Latest Review: "Unshielded Past" by Patti Morelli

Post by Bancroft »

I don't think so that he is evil. Many people among us are of such nature and we can't call them evil
Latest Review: "Unshielded Past" by Patti Morelli
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I'm not big on labeling people or situations good or evil. Rather, I think behavior should be evaluated as positive or negative. In this case, Buckhorn is not properly balancing environmental concerns with their profit motive.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Kuolettava
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kuolettava.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Kuolettava »

Personally, I don't really believe that the aspects of "good" or "evil" should exist. They are very restricted and are based entirely on what a person's point of view is. I, like the person who posted above me, view things like this more as "positive" or "negative" in reflecting on the actions that other people make. I wouldn't necessarily label Buckhorn or the company as "evil". However, I would say that they are greedy. I believe in the conservation of our natural lands, particularly those that are currently in use by Native Americans. Companies, corporations, and the government have taken enough away from the people that existed here before any colonizers. I don't think what Buckhorn is doing is right, but we also get little to no information on what the material that they are trying to mine is going to be used for.

On the other hand, those with a more corporate interest would likely view what Buckhorn is trying to do as a positive for the community. What I don't think those people are generally looking at are the long-term effects that an excavation of that size would have on the community. Sure, initially there would be jobs for locals, but it could also very likely bring in work from all over the country (or even the world) and create the good ol' boom towns, which, in the end, destroy the local economy. Not to mention the natural land that was once so beautiful and something to be proud of would be destroyed. It wasn't entirely clear if the land was a part of the state park or not, but if it was, there is also the plot hole of the protection of state and federal parks that wasn't considered in the inclusion of Buckhorn and their intentions.
Carmel Bachelor
Currently Reading: Their Eyes were watching God
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carmel-bachelor.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Carmel Bachelor »

I don't know whether I would call him 'evil' but the acts that he's committed, particularly with the insinuations that he sexually assaulted Tom's daughter, Becky, and quite possibly Sarah, are definitely unforgivable and I hope he answers for it in the coming sequels.

Add the fact that he's the head of the company that's trying to destroy Native American land and think its totally okay to practically hire mercenaries to intimidate and threaten people into silence definitely doesn't help his case either. I hope he answers for all of it.
There is no friend as loyal as a book - Ernest Hemingway
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

I don't think Buckhorn was evil,to me he came across as a business man who perhaps didn't have much consideration for the natives beliefs or their sacred lands and perhaps his goons took things too far to ensure his mining plans see the light of day.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

I think he is evil, but only people who put his own will over others must be call evil, he only search for personal gaining, monetary accrue and he forgets what people needs, he is able to destroy anything between him and his goals.
mmklundt
Currently Reading: Living Out Loud
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmklundt.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by mmklundt »

Buckhorn is not evil. He is a man focused on his own business priorities without the consideration for other cultures and history. He is selfish, hard headed, rude, and unlikable but not evil.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Zain Farough wrote: 05 Nov 2017, 00:14 This discussion is about Buckhorn. It is not sure that is he evil or is he a good man. Guys come on tell your opinions
I believe in the inherent goodness of humanity. I prefer to look at the actions and situations, and to attempt at looking at the person holistically. There's not much description or evidence to base my judgments on Buckhorn. What would be ideal, though, is that there should be a conscious effort not to sacrifice ethical principles and societal awareness for the sake of power or business profit. I've read about mega corporations, which ensure that sustainability remains part of their overall organisational strategy yet they still amass profits, obviously; it's a win-win.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Espie

Post by Espie »

Momiji1987 wrote: 13 Dec 2017, 18:56 This is a good question and I'm curious why there's no engagement. I'd love to answer the question,but I haven't read the book.
I believe it's a good question, too. If it's fine for us to have spoilers, I would have gladly give you some inside look. I definitely agree with you that it's always best to reserve our judgment when we're already satisfied that we already have all the facts and considerations we need. Cheers.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
Espie

Post by Espie »

Bancroft wrote: 14 Dec 2017, 03:51 I don't think so that he is evil. Many people among us are of such nature and we can't call them evil
I also would like to avoid calling another person evil. There's always hope.
Espie

Post by Espie »

Spirit Wandering wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 07:05 I'm not big on labeling people or situations good or evil. Rather, I think behavior should be evaluated as positive or negative. In this case, Buckhorn is not properly balancing environmental concerns with their profit motive.
That's very much well-expressed and I agree. I've seen the balanced scorecard (sustainability and other considerations and not just profit) work for huge business entities, so it could have worked in Buckhorn's case should the company chose to do so, too.
Espie

Post by Espie »

Kuolettava wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 16:12 Personally, I don't really believe that the aspects of "good" or "evil" should exist. They are very restricted and are based entirely on what a person's point of view is. I, like the person who posted above me, view things like this more as "positive" or "negative" in reflecting on the actions that other people make. I wouldn't necessarily label Buckhorn or the company as "evil". However, I would say that they are greedy. I believe in the conservation of our natural lands, particularly those that are currently in use by Native Americans. Companies, corporations, and the government have taken enough away from the people that existed here before any colonizers. I don't think what Buckhorn is doing is right, but we also get little to no information on what the material that they are trying to mine is going to be used for.

On the other hand, those with a more corporate interest would likely view what Buckhorn is trying to do as a positive for the community. What I don't think those people are generally looking at are the long-term effects that an excavation of that size would have on the community. Sure, initially there would be jobs for locals, but it could also very likely bring in work from all over the country (or even the world) and create the good ol' boom towns, which, in the end, destroy the local economy. Not to mention the natural land that was once so beautiful and something to be proud of would be destroyed. It wasn't entirely clear if the land was a part of the state park or not, but if it was, there is also the plot hole of the protection of state and federal parks that wasn't considered in the inclusion of Buckhorn and their intentions.
I wouldn't be able to express the ideas similar to yours any better than you just did. It seems like you've got much in-depth knowledge on actual examples and situations to base your views on.
Espie

Post by Espie »

Carmel Bachelor wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 23:11 I don't know whether I would call him 'evil' but the acts that he's committed, particularly with the insinuations that he sexually assaulted Tom's daughter, Becky, and quite possibly Sarah, are definitely unforgivable and I hope he answers for it in the coming sequels.

Add the fact that he's the head of the company that's trying to destroy Native American land and think its totally okay to practically hire mercenaries to intimidate and threaten people into silence definitely doesn't help his case either. I hope he answers for all of it.
The triumph of goodness is what I'd look forward to, too.

Return to “Discuss "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon”