Staying True to Their Roots

Discuss the October 2017 Book of the Month, Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon.

View Strong Heart on Bookshelves

View Strong Heart on Amazon
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Staying True to Their Roots

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Do you think the characters (like Tom, Walleye/William...)were justified in staying true to their roots/acknowledging their ancestry against a judgemental/biased society/world?
Do you face that in your everyday life?
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I think they were justified in staying true to their roots as traditions are important. One has to respect his past while moving on with the times.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

I definitely feel like the characters were justified in staying true to their roots. Regardless of how judgemental society may be, we have to be true to ourselves. Strong cultural values and traditions aren't always easy to uphold, and are even more difficult to defend if and when that becomes necessary. It's important, though. It's who we are, and where we came from.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Christina Rose wrote:I definitely feel like the characters were justified in staying true to their roots. Regardless of how judgemental society may be, we have to be true to ourselves. Strong cultural values and traditions aren't always easy to uphold, and are even more difficult to defend if and when that becomes necessary. It's important, though. It's who we are, and where we came from.
It's important to remember who you are and where you come from. If everybody forgot their roots, we would all be the same thing, believing in the same thing. Our roots give us individuality.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Amagine wrote:
Christina Rose wrote:I definitely feel like the characters were justified in staying true to their roots. Regardless of how judgemental society may be, we have to be true to ourselves. Strong cultural values and traditions aren't always easy to uphold, and are even more difficult to defend if and when that becomes necessary. It's important, though. It's who we are, and where we came from.
It's important to remember who you are and where you come from. If everybody forgot their roots, we would all be the same thing, believing in the same thing. Our roots give us individuality.
Ditto! I agree with both of you! A world where all are the same is a boring one.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

gali wrote:I think they were justified in staying true to their roots as traditions are important. One has to respect his past while moving on with the times.
I agree with this completely. As long as your traditions aren't against the law, I think that you should respect your traditions in spite of what others might say.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Our futures are based on the foundations of our past. It is important to know and understand where one came from, as it helps one to know themselves.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson

Post by Christina Rose »

gali wrote:
Amagine wrote:
Ditto! I agree with both of you! A world where all are the same is a boring one.
@Amagine Yes! Our roots definitely give is individuality!

@gali It would indeed be a boring world.

I love learning about other cultures. While I may ask for a specific tradition or belief to be explained (out of sincere interest), I would never try to make someone feel like they had to defend themselves or their family. We should practice respect for each other.
geoffrey ngoima

Yeah, I believe in a rainbow world too, guys, (even though sometimes people fear what they don't understand and would want to ignorantly oppose acceptance and love for our neighbours)
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Everyone is taught from the early age to believe in their ancestral stories and respect their roots. Staying true to our roots comes by nature to us. We do face it in everyday life knowingly or unknowingly.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

geoffrey ngoima

BoyLazy wrote:Everyone is taught from the early age to believe in their ancestral stories and respect their roots. Staying true to our roots comes by nature to us. We do face it in everyday life knowingly or unknowingly.
It's true, BoyLazy, like my name, I have both my father's and my grandfather's, and I carry forward his success and failures, knowingly or unknowingly, (people wouldn't be fans of carrying failures of somebody else but even the Bible says something about sins of the father)...it's the way of nature
BoyLazy

Post by BoyLazy »

geoffrey ngoima wrote:
BoyLazy wrote:Everyone is taught from the early age to believe in their ancestral stories and respect their roots. Staying true to our roots comes by nature to us. We do face it in everyday life knowingly or unknowingly.
It's true, BoyLazy, like my name, I have both my father's and my grandfather's, and I carry forward his success and failures, knowingly or unknowingly, (people wouldn't be fans of carrying failures of somebody else but even the Bible says something about sins of the father)...it's the way of nature
Well said ??
Boy Lazy

Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

Amagine wrote:
I agree. I think there's a balance between holding true to your traditions and being able to make way for progress: however, I think both are equally important.
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I agree that for most people staying true to your roots is simply second nature.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
BoyLazy

Post by BoyLazy »

Amagine wrote:
I agree that for most people staying true to your roots is simply second nature.
Great to have people with similar thoughts ?
Boy Lazy

Return to “Discuss "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon”