Staying True to Their Roots

Discuss the October 2017 Book of the Month, Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon.

View Strong Heart on Bookshelves

View Strong Heart on Amazon
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Re: Staying True to Their Roots

Post by GCamer »

I think they were justified in staying true to their roots. In a judgemental world, people tend to hide their ancestry in order to be accepted. Fortunately, I live in a country that is open to diversity. People have the freedom to express who they are and be true to their roots.
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Maulyne wrote:Tom and William are justified in staying true to their roots.As a person the root we come from define us to who we are .African American Asian etc, we can't change that.
Yes it's our identity in real world.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

GCamer wrote:I think they were justified in staying true to their roots. In a judgemental world, people tend to hide their ancestry in order to be accepted. Fortunately, I live in a country that is open to diversity. People have the freedom to express who they are and be true to their roots.
I love your answer :D
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Philip Chepsingil
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-chepsingil.html
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope

Post by Philip Chepsingil »

There are constant things in once life which cannot be changed. One's ancestry cannot be changed. Even though the society is biased against your ancestry, the best way to deal with such a scenario is to accept an appreciate your ancestry just as these characters: Tom and William. Dissociating from your ancestry makes you to be whom you are not which can even make you have low self esteem. There is a Swahili saying, "Mwacha mila ni mtumwa" Translated means that whoever leaves his/her culture is a slave. In this basis, Tom and William are justified to stay true to their roots.

I face the same in my life where our clan is the minority in our tribe. Major clans look down upon me and my clans men but I am proud of my clan. I am proud of my ancestry and our culture.
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope
Que Lopez
Currently Reading: The hate you give
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-que-lopez.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Que Lopez »

I believe that they were justified in staying true to their roots and holding on to tradition. Our roots define where we come from and that's something we should all stay true too. We should never forget where we came from and never forget our ancestors that created the path that we continuously walk on.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Traditions give us our uniqueness and right to belong to a group of people. I like that the characters stayed true to their roots.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

Ancient traditions and beliefs can certainly remain valuable in modern society. I think it worked in the context of this novel, anyway.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

I think traditions are important and should be kept alive in the a group's collective memory and customs as long as they don't cause harm.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

Amagine wrote: 04 Oct 2017, 20:26
BoyLazy wrote:Everyone is taught from the early age to believe in their ancestral stories and respect their roots. Staying true to our roots comes by nature to us. We do face it in everyday life knowingly or unknowingly.
I agree that for most people staying true to your roots is simply second nature.
I second that. It is innate behaviour for people. It affects their thought process, whether they know it or not.
Matt D Prinne
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Matt D Prinne »

Respecting and upholding theirwing traditions is something I agree wholeheartedly with. I have not encountered such a struggle in my life but I respect the choice Tom and William make.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

BoyLazy wrote: 04 Oct 2017, 06:34 Everyone is taught from the early age to believe in their ancestral stories and respect their roots. Staying true to our roots comes by nature to us. We do face it in everyday life knowingly or unknowingly.
I agree with you. In our society, it is said that he who abandons his traditions and customs is a slave.
That statement is in fact proverbial.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Paul78
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

Cotwani wrote: 14 Nov 2017, 10:25 Traditions give us our uniqueness and right to belong to a group of people. I like that the characters stayed true to their roots.
I imagine a world without traditions. Such a world, would be boring. What would even make anyone want to visit another place?
Culture is key, although due to the growth of a global community, where many cultural norms are slowly dying, it is necessary to preserve it.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I think that they were justified in staying true to their roots. It’s important to remember where you came from so you know where you’re going.
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

I have no doubt staying true to your roots is important. Knowing where you came from and the lineage of who you are is important. However, I think change is good. I don't think there's anything wrong with changing who you are and making decisions based on what you feel is best for you in that moment. Do this, and do it unapologetically, just don't forget where you came from-- because ultimately that's what made you who you are today!
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

Generally, society makes it difficult to stay true to one's roots, especially when one's ancestry has a history of being looked down on. However, I think it is important to stay true to one's roots. We have to put our ancestries on the map ourselves. Society won't do it for us.

Return to “Discuss "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon”