Sarah's Journey

Discuss the October 2017 Book of the Month, Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon.

View Strong Heart on Bookshelves

View Strong Heart on Amazon
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Sarah's Journey

Post by Mary Garrison »

When Sarah was in the boat rowing, I could smell the stench as I was reading, I could feel the bleeding hands. How did you like the descriptions of her journey by herself? Were you scared for her? Was it hard to follow?
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

It was very descriptive. I found all of the nautical talk exhausting though. I thought it disrupted the pacing too much for me to really be scared for her. I found it a little hard to follow, especially in the beginning. I had no idea what was happening and the names and characters were hard for me to keep track of. As they got narrowed down though, it got easier.
Mary Garrison
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

@Mallory Whitaker I found it very hard to follow at first, I actually quit reading for a few days, but when I came back to it and went further into the book it started to make more sense. Once it became more clear I really got into the details though.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I like the fact that it was very descriptive. It was the first time I was able to sympathize with her because prior to that, I wasn't her biggest fan.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Mary Garrison

Post by Mary Garrison »

@Amagine I think you're right, the descriptions of what was going on around really helped to get to know her struggle.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I found it the most interesting part of the book, but thought it could be shortened.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Mary Garrison

Post by Mary Garrison »

@gali I agree that it could've been shortened, that might have made it easier to follow.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson

Post by Christina Rose »

I found it somewhat hard to follow. I had a hard time keeping up with the different characters. It was very descriptive, yes, but it took me longer to get through this part of the novel. I had to kinda slow down.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Christina Rose wrote:I found it somewhat hard to follow. I had a hard time keeping up with the different characters. It was very descriptive, yes, but it took me longer to get through this part of the novel. I had to kinda slow down.
Yeah, I sometimes had a tough time following this storyline. It might have been because it was hard for me to enjoy the read in general, but I will say Sarah was more enjoyable here and afterwards compared to the beginning of the story.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Christina Rose wrote:I found it somewhat hard to follow. I had a hard time keeping up with the different characters. It was very descriptive, yes, but it took me longer to get through this part of the novel. I had to kinda slow down.
I agree with you. There were a lot of parts that were slow and i had a hard time reading it too.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I found the narration fascinating. It used "Indian talk" with the characters being given descriptive names, the men searching for big animal and small animal signs, and the women yearning for journey children. I was there rowing and bailing water out, hiding in the bushes for private business and learning how to make and throw darts.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson

Post by Christina Rose »

hsimone wrote:
Yeah, I sometimes had a tough time following this storyline. It might have been because it was hard for me to enjoy the read in general, but I will say Sarah was more enjoyable here and afterwards compared to the beginning of the story.
She really was a more enjoyable character afterwards.

-- 03 Oct 2017, 20:12 --
Amagine wrote:
I agree with you. There were a lot of parts that were slow and i had a hard time reading it too.
You're right about the slow parts. I would occasionally have to reread something because my ADD got the better of me, and my thoughts wandered.
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

I felt the experience but still would suggest better usage of words so that it becomes more interesting.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

Miriam Molina wrote:I found the narration fascinating. It used "Indian talk" with the characters being given descriptive names, the men searching for big animal and small animal signs, and the women yearning for journey children. I was there rowing and bailing water out, hiding in the bushes for private business and learning how to make and throw darts.
I felt this too. I really enjoyed this part of the book, especially the language. After the first narration of her vision, I kept waiting to get back to it and learn more.
peace starts with a smile...
sj_robert
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sj-robert.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by sj_robert »

I commend the author for such an immersive experience. I really enjoyed that bit of the book more than the other parts.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Return to “Discuss "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon”