What is the one thing that you missed in this book?

Discuss the October 2017 Book of the Month, Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon.

View Strong Heart on Bookshelves

View Strong Heart on Amazon
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

What is the one thing that you missed in this book?

Post by BoyLazy »

Every book has its specialties and mistakes. They may be big ones or very minute ones. Did you feel that something was missing in this book?
If the author had added that element, it could have improved your impression over this book further.. Did you get that feeling? Let me know.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I felt the element of tension was missing. There was some action, but not enough of it to keep the story going. The book could do with another round of editing.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

I wouldn't have minded a little more background on the characters. I may have been able to relate more if I had a bit more information. While there were some details and stories shared, I personally wasn't able to piece together the lives and backgrounds on a level that I found satisfying.
erjonas
Currently Reading: Inferno
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erjonas.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by erjonas »

gali wrote:I felt the element of tension was missing. There was some action, but not enough of it to keep the story going. The book could do with another round of editing.
I second that. Admittedly, I am still working my way through the book, but there are so many scenes I feel doesn't give the author's writing skills the credit it probably deserves. While the overall story of the novel is good (so far), there is no sense of urgency, no biting your fingernails and turning to the next page, even in scenes where I know there should be.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

erjonas wrote:
gali wrote:I felt the element of tension was missing. There was some action, but not enough of it to keep the story going. The book could do with another round of editing.
I second that. Admittedly, I am still working my way through the book, but there are so many scenes I feel doesn't give the author's writing skills the credit it probably deserves. While the overall story of the novel is good (so far), there is no sense of urgency, no biting your fingernails and turning to the next page, even in scenes where I know there should be.
You know, I couldn't really pinpoint it before, but you're right. There's no sense of urgency, even when you'd expect there to be.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I agree. There wasn't enough suspense or surprises. It felt more like an educational book on legends and culture.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I hadn't thought of that before but I'd have to agree. One example: there should have been more tension between Tom and his ex-wife when she dropped him off at his door. We saw some of that later but it would have made sense to see it early on.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

I didn't feel like the adult characters were developed enough. It was a bit confusing figuring out how they were all connected and what all of their backgrounds were. To me, Sarah was the only interesting character.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Mindi wrote:I didn't feel like the adult characters were developed enough. It was a bit confusing figuring out how they were all connected and what all of their backgrounds were. To me, Sarah was the only interesting character.
I agree about the adult characters. We were given a little bit of background on Tom, but it wasn't obvious to me either, how everyone was connected.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Mindi wrote:I didn't feel like the adult characters were developed enough. It was a bit confusing figuring out how they were all connected and what all of their backgrounds were. To me, Sarah was the only interesting character.
I agree that there wasn't enough development with the characters and that was definitely unfortunate.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

I agree with several of you regarding the tension in the story. If I hadn't been interested in reading the rest of Sarah's vision I probably would have put the book down. I also feel that character depth would have been a plus too. I couldn't figure out for a short period if Tom or William was Sarah's grandpa and had to look back to see. It didn't click until later in the story though and then I was confused about Myra's relation for a bit. More depth on these characters would have made it less confusing initially.
Madison Degraffenreid
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

mratdegraff91 wrote:I agree with several of you regarding the tension in the story. If I hadn't been interested in reading the rest of Sarah's vision I probably would have put the book down. I also feel that character depth would have been a plus too. I couldn't figure out for a short period if Tom or William was Sarah's grandpa and had to look back to see. It didn't click until later in the story though and then I was confused about Myra's relation for a bit. More depth on these characters would have made it less confusing initially.
I thought I was the only one who initially became confused over who was who in regards to Tom and William. I kept having to reread an earlier section until it finally clicked!
walter7
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter7.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by walter7 »

I recommend backround of the characters for the story to start with an ease pace
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

The writing is unnatural for lack of a enhanced expression. I found it a little difficult to follow the story.

-- 04 Oct 2017, 03:19 --
I felt some parts were a little boring.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

BoyLazy wrote:The writing is unnatural for lack of a enhanced expression. I found it a little difficult to follow the story.

-- 04 Oct 2017, 03:19 --
I felt some parts were a little boring.
I felt that as well.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Discuss "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon”