Conflicts regarding tradition

Discuss the October 2017 Book of the Month, Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon.

View Strong Heart on Bookshelves

View Strong Heart on Amazon
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Re: Conflicts regarding tradition

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I agreed with Myra on the atlatl. In terms of legend vs. data, it is similar to the question of faith vs. reason. A balance of both is best.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Jax14 »

I think data and legends both have their place in life seeing as most legends are based in data. The problem comes in with the retelling by humans and the subjective cast we place on legends to make them conform to what we currently believe, or what is necessary in the present to convey the message.
Carol Cisne
Currently Reading: Natsume's Book of Friends, Vol. 12
Bookshelf Size: 1072
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-cisne.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Carol Cisne »

Sorry for the length, I tried to keep it short x_x
I also hope I didn't go off on a tangent too much.

What matters most, legends or data?
I think that legends and data can complement each other but far too often data is favored over legends. If a study is to be done then the narratives that survived to modern time should be taken into consideration before coming to conclusions.

Who do you think was right in both cases? (Tom/Myra)
I agree with Myra: they should have used the atlatl while it was available and when the land is protected then return it. Tom wanted to bury the atlatl to correct his mistake for disturbing it but what would have happened afterword? Myra tried to validate the atlatl’s displacement, to use it as evidence to prevent mining in the park. If the parkland had not been in jeopardy I think Myra would have kept criticizing Tom for disturbing and defacing the atlatl, even if he had good intentions.

Who do you think was right in both cases? (Myra/Sergei)
Both. Myra and Sergei might have started out at different points but I thought they were finding common ground by the end of the book. Sergei seemed to agree with Myra more than he disagreed. Myra was hostile towards Sergei's academic data stance because there are many instances in US history where anthropological studies were used to justify the horrific treatment of Native Americans (and other people too). While this has changed, there is still a lot of the older sentiment lingering in the field of study. Once Sergei realized where Myra was coming from, and she was able to see his genuine intentions, they were able to find that elusive common ground: Legends and Data can lead to a more complete narrative of human history.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Megz
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megz.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose

Post by Megz »

I think both are important. Some legends/traditions have real data in them and can be used as a learning tool. And data is a way to learn from the past to hopefully make a better future.
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

This is the classic, "science vs. faith" scenario. I'm personally a faith person.Beliefs are based on reality and personal experience, and legends go hand in hand with that. Data is for unbelievers, but can be helpful in proving to them that faith isn't just crazy imagination.
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

I agree withs kandsscreeley on this one-- both can play an important role. And with most things-- it's circumstantial. There may be a scenario where the data needs to be spot in the work out a solution. On the other hand, there could be a different scenario that can be better guided through with tradtion vs.all logic. Both important, all circumstantial.

-- 17 Nov 2017, 14:18 --

I agree withs kandsscreeley on this one-- both can play an important role. And with most things-- it's circumstantial. There may be a scenario where the data needs to be spot in the work out a solution. On the other hand, there could be a different scenario that can be better guided through with tradtion vs.all logic. Both important, all circumstantial.
MsDree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msdree.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MsDree »

both are fairly important and in my opinion, compliment each other in many ways. i think, well, just my opinion that legends is important because then data can be collected as evidence to support the legends.
"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeline L'Engle
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

With everything that has happened in my life, I'm a data person. Don't get me wrong I have small traditions (taking my dogs to Starbucks every Sunday for a pup cup) but nothing religiously and/or legendary. I have to see that it works to believe that it works
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by shish_by_design »

I agree with all who said both are important. I believe so too.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

walter7 wrote:The two compliment to each other but mostly data should work with legends
I completely agree with you here. The two should definitely compliment each other.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron

Post by Izesicle »

Depends on the purpose. Both have their use depending on the situation. I'm a pragmatic person so I would probably choose data but I also like legends because I like literature.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

gali wrote: 02 Oct 2017, 04:38 There were a couple of conflicts in the story regarding tradition.

Tom wanted to bury the atlatl he found, while Myra wanted to use it to prevent construction. Later, he came to change his mind, but it was too late due to the destruction of the atlatl.

Myra thought that legends hold more significant than real data, in oppose to Sergei.

Who do you think was right in both cases? What matters most, legends or data?
The legends must have come from a place which were originally supported by data. Over time, things are added or subtracted from that data, and so they are turned into legends. But there is also the case that data changes over time, it doesnt remain the same forever. So harmony between legends, that provide the history, and data, that provides the contemporary, is essential.
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I believe legends are important to preseve a people, but I also think data is useful as well. There has to be a middle ground.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

Ideally, there should be some ideal middle ground between the two. That can be hard sometimes when the two conflict with each other.
Leyla
Currently Reading: Banished Threads
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Leyla »

Legends/traditions are very important in teaching a child their history and for them to appreciate what they have now. Sometimes with time and knowledge, traditions can be altered to include the findings/data. So they are both equally important.

Return to “Discuss "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon”