Were William and Myra important to the story?

Discuss the October 2017 Book of the Month, Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon.

View Strong Heart on Bookshelves

View Strong Heart on Amazon
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Re: Were William and Myra important to the story?

Post by kwahu »

I believe William and Myra played a crucial part in the establishment of Tom and Sarah's relationship.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Definitely William and Myra are important supporting characters of Strong Heart. Without them story Wouldn't have been that much strong as it is now.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Sarah Tariq wrote:Definitely William and Myra are important supporting characters of Strong Heart. Without them story Wouldn't have been that much strong as it is now.
I specially liked William for he brought in the Wisdom.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer
ย 
himynamestom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himynamestom.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Post by himynamestom »

BoyLazy wrote:
Sarah Tariq wrote:Definitely William and Myra are important supporting characters of Strong Heart. Without them story Wouldn't have been that much strong as it is now.
Absolutely, I think that William might be more important than we first realize, because he seems to subtly keep the story moving, even though he sometimes seems to hide in the background.
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

himynamestom wrote:
BoyLazy wrote:
Absolutely, I think that William might be more important than we first realize, because he seems to subtly keep the story moving, even though he sometimes seems to hide in the background.
Yes that's a good point. Myra was more in your face, but William was always there, just maybe in the background.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.โ€
โ€• Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I suppose it's important to have that balance of a loud, in your face kind of character and one who is more quiet. It just means they are the perfect contrast to one another.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell

Post by Kat Berg »

Amagine wrote:I liked the dialogue between Myra and Sarah as well. I think Myra was needed to help develop Sarah's character and make her more likable.

Did William do that for Tom?
I agree about Myra's role. We get to understand Sarah better because of Myra's character, and the way her father reflects back to how Myra handled similar situations at the beginning of their journey helps us (hopefully) not be quite so hard on Sarah. At the beginning of the book (I am not all the way through yet) William and Myra's characters are much more relatable. I stay with the story because I like them, not because I like Tom or Sarah. This helps to stay the course as we get to know the main characters.
Brian6
Currently Reading: Going Gone
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brian6.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Brian6 »

I think It has prove a point whereby we do need each other in life to move on both emotionaly or physicaly. They both helped sarah alot in her life journey.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

The ultimate belief l, that's what they both truly valuable for, plus, Tom wouldn't have taken Sarah together if William didn't insist on, and without Myra he wouldn't be able to cover that track alone with Tom and rebellious Sarah. Moreover, Sarah needed a feminine figure to trust and Myra did the best in that role.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Athena Moon wrote:The ultimate belief l, that's what they both truly valuable for, plus, Tom wouldn't have taken Sarah together if William didn't insist on, and without Myra he wouldn't be able to cover that track alone with Tom and rebellious Sarah. Moreover, Sarah needed a feminine figure to trust and Myra did the best in that role.
I also agree that Myra was important for Sarah's character.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell

Post by Kat Berg »

Amagine wrote:
Athena Moon wrote:The ultimate belief l, that's what they both truly valuable for, plus, Tom wouldn't have taken Sarah together if William didn't insist on, and without Myra he wouldn't be able to cover that track alone with Tom and rebellious Sarah. Moreover, Sarah needed a feminine figure to trust and Myra did the best in that role.
I also agree that Myra was important for Sarah's character.
And there also wouldnโ€™t have been a story without William to tell it. So much is told through his eyes and his understanding.
jonaya
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jonaya »

yes they were as the writer wanted to show the extension of the family and the originality of Sarah.
On the other hand Myrah,really showed mothers role towards Sarah and that started systematically after Sarah was dumped.Myrah did her best to make Sarah feel welcomed just through actions
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

I felt Myra and William to be the unifying factor between Sarah and Tom. Maybe Tom would have send Sarah back with Ruth when they arrived at that door.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

Amagine wrote:The book mostly focuses on Sarah, Tom and one can say even Strong Heart. In spite of that, William and Myra were supporting characters who were there for the beginning of the book all the way to the end.

Why do you think their characters are so important to the story? What did they bring to the group?
William and Myra were actual indigenous people of the area. They provide the link to the original people. William who Tom often viewed as a Shaman-like character and Myra with her knowledge of the stories and histories provide the link for the reader between Sarah and Strong Heart. Sergei brings a more scientific view. Overall, they are both important characters for the story.
Arushi Singh
Currently Reading: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arushi-singh.html
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite

Post by Arushi Singh »

I think Myra was a significant character in this book. I associate with her and she made it a bit more intense.
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite

Return to โ€œDiscuss "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldonโ€