How did you feel about Sarah in the beginning?

Discuss the October 2017 Book of the Month, Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon.

View Strong Heart on Bookshelves

View Strong Heart on Amazon
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Re: How did you feel about Sarah in the beginning?

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I really disliked her at first given the kind of critique that she was. The first impression of Sarah was bad. However, when I got to learn of her past experiences, I began to understand her. My feelings towards her actually changed as the story went on. She is a strong-willed person who needed some help to help out of the past experiences.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I did not like Sarah in the beginning as a character. As a person I understand her point of view and background, but it's not enjoyable, in my opinion, to read through. She is often a cliche and I'm not a huge fan of cliche personalities.
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

I thought she was a snotty brat, but with good reason for being so. I grew to like her more as the story developed.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I thought she was acting like a normal kid. Wasn't thrilled to be there because she didn't know these people.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

I truly felt for Sarah, even at the beginning. I've known some obnoxious spoiled teenagers who acted worse than her. Sarah was struggling to deal with feeling unwanted, and mad at the world. What was the excuse for spoiled teenagers? At least Sarah had a good reason. I wound up appreciating her resilience and strength.
tjportugal
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjportugal.html
Latest Review: Mister Sleepy by Jane Alice

Post by tjportugal »

Christina Rose wrote: 02 Oct 2017, 03:37 I found myself with mixed feelings when it came to Sarah in the beginning of the book. Parts of me felt bad for her and her situation. Other parts were annoyed with the way she reacted to Tom, William, and Myra. She was critical of everything from what they were eating to the lack of a television set.
How did you feel toward Sarah in the beginning? Did your feelings change throughout your reading?
I felt that Sarah was realistically portrayed. A (pre-)teen girl with the living experience she had would definitely have some sort of misbehavior. I felt she needed a normal family and time... a lot of time to settle down and realize that some people would be willing to love her unconditionally, even though being told off might not be very pleasant.
To read or not to read? That's not even a question!
Alice Festo
Favorite Book: Deceitful Survival
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-festo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Alice Festo »

At first I felt Sarah was arrogant and spoilt. However after learning of her upbringing I empathized with her apart from her mother Sarah knew no love. She learned to be independent at a very young age with no one to protect her. She used aggression as her defense. She turned out to have an inner strength and quite smart for her age making her lovable.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

I think her character deserved sympathy with whatever had happened to her at such a tender age. But the way her character is painted by the author, I did not feel much sympathy. I was able to forgive her arrogance, given her past, but I was not particularly sorry for her.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I couldn't agree more! I had conflicting feelings at the start becuase I didn't like her bratty behaviour but I also felt sorry for her. By the end I felt like she'd really grown up and she became my favourite
alkaMish
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alkamish.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by alkaMish »

At the beginning, I felt angry and annoyed at Sarah for behaving in the way that she was. She might have had a reason to be angry with Tom, giving in to the way she was treated by her step grandfather, but being rude with Myra and William just didn't make sense to me. Later on in the story when I realised that Sarah was just a confused teenager lacking an adult guidance, I could understand her behavior. So, by the end, her behavior didn't seem that unreasonable as it had in the beginning.
Radhika_puri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-puri.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Radhika_puri »

In the starting, I felt she is an annoying child maybe because so much happened at a small age and she is not able to tackle the situation but as the story continues I felt her more mature and not an annoying child.
Readinggrl18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinggrl18.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Readinggrl18 »

I thought Sarah's attitude was quite tame for the experiences she had in life and being the age she was. She was hurt and broken and was expressing herself in the only way she knew how. She was rejecting Tom before he could reject her. Throughout the story she learned more about herself and started to mature. She built relationships and gained confidence. I really liked her character.
Ebby Brown
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebby-brown.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ebby Brown »

Actually at first I didn't like her because of the way she treated Tom, her grandpa. But later on she changed and was so loving and cared for Tom, William and Myra. At the end of the story she became my favourite.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

Sarah was honestly pretty bratty in the beginning. Her circumstances kind of made that a given, but boy was I glad to see her mellow out. I'm glad that she got stronger and that she rose above her circumstances.
Goral
Currently Reading: A Brief History of Time
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goral.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Goral »

From the start itself I felt that Sarah was a special girl..probably someone who had special abilities. She could draw very well and I simply loved that quality of hers.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy books, and that's kind of the same thing

Return to “Discuss "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon”