Olympic Peninsula Wilderness

Discuss the October 2017 Book of the Month, Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon.

View Strong Heart on Bookshelves

View Strong Heart on Amazon
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Re: Olympic Peninsula Wilderness

Post by Amagine »

The world is definitely filled with so many amazing places.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

And I also echo people's opinions that it reminded them of Twilight. It is set nearby and there is beautiful scenery in that film.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Gingerbo0ks wrote:And I also echo people's opinions that it reminded them of Twilight. It is set nearby and there is beautiful scenery in that film.
I think its all of the trees that remind me of the Twilight movie.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

It looks like I may be the first person on this post to have actually been to the Olympic Peninsula. I live here in WA state and have been out that way several times. It is absolutely beautiful, true to the pictures above and even better. I think the author did an excellent job describing the landscape of the area and painting pictures that were true to form. He has either done extensive research or visited the area first-hand. If anyone ever gets an opportunity to visit, I highly recommend it. Camping on Lake Crescent is the most picturesque location, lakefront camp spots are stunning. And there is an added bonus, for anyone who followed Stephanie Meyer's "Twilight" series, that the town of Forks (for which the books were set) is located within this area.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson

Post by Christina Rose »

Brandi Noelle wrote:It looks like I may be the first person on this post to have actually been to the Olympic Peninsula. I live here in WA state and have been out that way several times. It is absolutely beautiful, true to the pictures above and even better. I think the author did an excellent job describing the landscape of the area and painting pictures that were true to form. He has either done extensive research or visited the area first-hand. If anyone ever gets an opportunity to visit, I highly recommend it. Camping on Lake Crescent is the most picturesque location, lakefront camp spots are stunning. And there is an added bonus, for anyone who followed Stephanie Meyer's "Twilight" series, that the town of Forks (for which the books were set) is located within this area.
It's good to hear from someone who lives near the area! I'm glad the author was able to do the landscape justice. If I'm ever around that area, I'll have to take a look. Thank you!
jonaya
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jonaya »

I have never been there but the way the author put it, I have a vision of how it looks like and he tried to make us readers to have a clear picture of it .the hiking place .
prenaramesh
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prenaramesh.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose

Post by prenaramesh »

Lol, I'm a little wary now of the Olympic Peninsula setting in case the book turns out to be Twilight fan fiction! (Happens more often than expected)
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose
jonaya

Post by jonaya »

wow thanks for the pictures and I have never been there. If given a chance obviously I can not haste
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

Definitely beautiful. I haven't been there though I do not think anybody does the place justice as Charlie Sheldon does.
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

I have never been there, but it looks like a place that I would like to visit one day.
Kat Kennedy
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-kennedy.html
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella

Post by Kat Kennedy »

@Gravy thanks for sharing the pics!!!! I haven't been that far north on the west coast, but I have done a lot of hiking in Big Sur, so I had a bit of an idea about some of the descriptions in the book. I think he did a great job describing the area. After seeing the pics, I want to go!
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

You're welcome. :tiphat:

I love all the green! I need more green in my life. :lol:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
jonaya

Post by jonaya »

Brandi Noelle wrote:It looks like I may be the first person on this post to have actually been to the Olympic Peninsula. I live here in WA state and have been out that way several times. It is absolutely beautiful, true to the pictures above and even better. I think the author did an excellent job describing the landscape of the area and painting pictures that were true to form. He has either done extensive research or visited the area first-hand. If anyone ever gets an opportunity to visit, I highly recommend it. Camping on Lake Crescent is the most picturesque location, lakefront camp spots are stunning. And there is an added bonus, for anyone who followed Stephanie Meyer's "Twilight" series, that the town of Forks (for which the books were set) is located within this area.
well thanks for the confirmation about the place. I have never been there but if given a chance I can appreciate it most
Charlie Sheldon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Charlie Sheldon »

Jonaya -you can live five lifetimes in Washington State and not even then see all the beautiful country in this state - Mount Rainier National Park, North Cascades National Park, Mt. St Helens National Monument, the Oakangan Wilderness, the full range of the Cascades running north and south through the whole state, along which the Pacific Crest Trail passes, and then the Olympic National Park way out on the peninsula, not to mention some spectacular high desert country in eastern Washington. I plan to visit all those places when I am done with the Olympics, but after 27 years and still nowhere near done I know I won't get to all these other places in this lifetime....Last spring and summer I spent a few weeks driving all over Oregon, Washington, Western Idaho and Montana visiting over 90 independent bookstores - Oregon Coast, high desert, the cascades, the Olympics, the Rockies, the wheat and wine country east of the cascades - and aside from meeting some terrific people on an 8000 mile series of drives I saw just a whole lot of spectacular, I mean spectacular, country......and then of course if you go north into British Columbia and Alaska, why, the country up there is just as, even more, spectacular.....
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I have never been to the Olympic Peninsula. I would love to see that. I think that the author has beautifully described the wilderness of that area. I enjoyed reading about it.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Return to “Discuss "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon”