Olympic Peninsula Wilderness

Discuss the October 2017 Book of the Month, Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon.

View Strong Heart on Bookshelves

View Strong Heart on Amazon
jonaya
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Olympic Peninsula Wilderness

Post by jonaya »

[quote="Charlie Sheldon"]Jonaya -you can live five lifetimes in Washington State and not even then see all the beautiful country in this state - Mount Rainier National Park, North Cascades National Park, Mt. St Helens National Monument, the Oakangan Wilderness, the full range of the Cascades running north and south through the whole state, along which the Pacific Crest Trail passes, and then the Olympic National Park way out on the peninsula, not to mention some spectacular high desert country in eastern Washington. I plan to visit all those places when I am done with the Olympics, but after 27 years and still nowhere near done I know I won't get to all these other places in this lifetime....Last spring and summer I spent a few weeks driving all over Oregon, Washington, Western Idaho and Montana visiting over 90 independent bookstores - Oregon Coast, high desert, the cascades, the Olympics, the Rockies, the wheat and wine country east of the cascades - and aside from meeting some terrific people on an 8000 mile series of drives I saw just a whole lot of spectacular, I mean spectacular, country......and then of course if you go north into British Columbia and Alaska, why, the country up there is just as, even more, spectacular.....[/q
Oho okay but if anyone will sponsor me to have first hand information in one of these grate places then that will be like my dreams are coming into reality because I know most of those places through books that's all. Well thanks Charlie Sheldon for your remark
Iammisterjones
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammisterjones.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by Iammisterjones »

I've never been but would like to go.
The imagery in this story was so beautiful I felt like I was there. I could even feel the temperature. I bet the air is so fresh. :D
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
Charlie Sheldon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Charlie Sheldon »

It's pretty nice......
Attachments
small Tarn overlooking Duckabush Valley copy.jpg
small Tarn overlooking Duckabush Valley copy.jpg (997.16 KiB) Viewed 3338 times
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I've never been to the Olympic Peninsula Wilderness. To be honest, I didn't even know it existed. However, the author, in my humble opinion, did portray a vivid imagery of the place. I could picture myself camping with Tom, Myra and Sara near the wood-fire watching some elks from time to time. I could smell the tall trees and enjoyed the cold breeze.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

This is really inspiring me to want to venture out and visit all these beautiful national parks. I'm enjoying the pictures :)
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Charlie Sheldon wrote:It's pretty nice......
All these pictures are making me wish I was on vacation.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

MaryBurris wrote:Have you ever been to the Olympic Peninsula Wilderness in Washington state? Do you think the author's description of the area is accurate? If you haven't been, did the author paint a vivid image in your mind?
I have never been there, but it is on my wishlist of places I want to visit. This story just strengthened my desire to visit. There is a teacher workshop held at the park that I hope to attend next summer.
Charlie Sheldon

Where in the park? Lake crescent perhaps? There are plenty of great areas. Plan to do some hiking....
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

Charlie Sheldon wrote:Where in the park? Lake crescent perhaps? There are plenty of great areas. Plan to do some hiking....
The workshop description includes the following locations: Hoh Rain Forest, Ruby Beach, and Hurricane Ridge. I am from the mountains of NC so look forward to seeing this ecosystem.
K_Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-robinson.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by K_Robinson »

I have not been. I felt the author was super descriptive, but sometimes too much. Since I am not familiar with the area i became easily lost and somewhat bored with his excessive descriptions!
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
Charlie Sheldon

Jennifer - if you have the chance when in the park, or the time, you can drive out Obstruction Point Road from Hurricane Ridge to Obstruction Pont and there is a terrific fantastic day hike up high out there with great great views, and you can see all the way up the Elwha to Godkin Creek Valley, eve Bear Valley......have fun out here...
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

I have not been there but I have been in some of the Alaska and Canada wilderness along the coast and I felt the descriptions were realistic.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
powergirl
Currently Reading: The One
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by powergirl »

The way the author escribes the place appears in my mind like a place of adventure and i believed to be there at the moment with them.
cozark38
Currently Reading: Life Before
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cozark38.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by cozark38 »

I live just south of there and it is a pretty good description, although even as you look at all the pictures posted, justice is not served. It is a good place to plan to visit, maybe stop off on your way home to Alaska and see a bit of the country there as the map suggests. There are similar areas in Alaska but still different and unique. Come visit. It's awesome. :)
Lenny1886
Currently Reading: Sense and Sensibility
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lenny1886.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Lenny1886 »

Yes and no. While I have not physically been on the Olympic peninsula, I live right across from it on the north side of the Juan de Fuca strait on Vancouver Island. I can see the mountain range at this very moment. The fact that the descriptive scenery fit where I live so well, I would say the author did an excellent job on describing it. It truly is a beautiful place and I’m so fortunate to spend everyday surrounded by it.

Return to “Discuss "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon”