Overall rating and opinion of "Strong Heart"

Discuss the October 2017 Book of the Month, Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon.

View Strong Heart on Bookshelves

View Strong Heart on Amazon
Bancroft
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bancroft.html
Latest Review: "Unshielded Past" by Patti Morelli

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Strong Heart"

Post by Bancroft »

I am gonna give it all stars either 5 stars or 4 stars because the book touches the heart and light it up
Latest Review: "Unshielded Past" by Patti Morelli
Tsheola Asavela
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsheola-asavela.html
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles

Post by Tsheola Asavela »

Simply :)
T. A.
'Art of the Pen.'
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

I enjoyed the book. It didn't tug my heart strings like I expected it to. but I had a good time in that world with Myra.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

The cultural and historical aspects of this book are truly interesting to me to learn about. I like taking a peek into Native American practices because they have some similarities to pre-Christian European beliefs, which is really neat.
nadiadeana
Currently Reading: All Those Things We Never Said
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadiadeana.html
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen

Post by nadiadeana »

3/4 stars. Would've given it 4/4 if it weren't for the fact that it took a few chapters before it started to sound interesting. The ending also wasn't as satisfying for me. Other than that it was a good read.
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Overall, this was an excellent book because of the story structure and narrative flow. What I liked best was the issues it raised about anthropology and conservation, and the paranormal element. I thought the descriptions of Strong Heart's journey were particularly well done as they were based on the knowledge of the times - hand spans of the sun, and the ice shelf being an "ice bear".
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I rated it 3 out of 4 stars. The Native American mythology, nature descriptions and cultural discussions were enduring.
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

I was not sure if I would like the book when I started reading it, but I found the book very intriguing and full of mystery. I will be recommending this book to schools in my community. I enjoyed how well written it was, made way for a seamless adventure back and forth through time. I appreciated the amount of study and consultation that went into sharing the Native American narrative. A perspective not often heard through mainstream media, and more often misunderstood because of the lack of context of history we all have regarding the hundreds of tribes thriving in North America.

I did give the book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I am very interested in reading the next book in the series.
moxieflair_
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moxieflair.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by moxieflair_ »

I gave Strong Heart 3 out of 4 stars, mainly because it was slow and kind of hard to read at times. Once it picked up though, I became comfortable with the rhythm of the story, and then I started to really enjoy it. The different aspects from the characters, to the topics, to the history, were intriguing. I learned a few things while reading, from history to hiking.
I also have a strong urge to go hiking, or camping now. I did not like of it ended, because there were so many things needing resolve. But from a few replies that I see, it seems a second book is coming; so I guess the way it ended is okay. I definitely would recommend this book to a friend, if I knew they wouldn't give up after a few chapters.
jsparkleflower
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsparkleflower.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by jsparkleflower »

Zelinda wrote: 30 Nov 2017, 01:41 I wrote a review of this book a while back and gave it 4 stars out of 4. I found its breadth of subject material extremely enjoyable. If you wanted to learn about customs and beliefs of native Alaskan Indians, read about the beauty of the wilderness and the desire and deceptiveness of exploiters of the same, or just get exposed to the good, bad and ugly involved in being the custodian of a teen-ager, and so much more, you too will like this book.
I just got this book and now read your review. Thanks for the great description as I am now more than interested than before. I am a fan of learning about different places and I have not toured Alaska so I am hoping by reading this I will get a glimpse of it. Great review. Can't wait to begin this book. Sounds like you enjoyed it.
jsparkleflower
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsparkleflower.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by jsparkleflower »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 16:05 Overall, this was an excellent book because of the story structure and narrative flow. What I liked best was the issues it raised about anthropology and conservation, and the paranormal element. I thought the descriptions of Strong Heart's journey were particularly well done as they were based on the knowledge of the times - hand spans of the sun, and the ice shelf being an "ice bear".
Now I am really excited to begin this book. I truly enjoy anthropology and historically accurate stories, both fiction and non. I am a bit relieved as I just got the book and have read some rather negative posts. Your review has re-inspired me to read this. Hope it turns out as culturally accurate as possible. I love reading about old worlds. Great review.
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

I found the book to be quite interesting and a wonderful read. I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars.
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
mmklundt
Currently Reading: Living Out Loud
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmklundt.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by mmklundt »

I really enjoyed this book. It was filled with real life experiences and cleverly intertwined history and culture into the story. I wasn't thrilled with the ending. I felt there were too many loose ends untied. There needs to be a sequel in order to wrap up the issues with the mining company, Sarah's future with Tom and the possible romance between Myra and the scientist.

I gave the story 3 out of 4 stars just because I found editorial errors in the book.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Chiamaka
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Chiamaka »

I really enjoyed the book. I gave it a 3 out of 4 stars. Getting absorbed into Sarah's tale was a wonderful feeling. It draws a clear picture of the prehistoric times and animals. That was my favorite part of the book. The rest was okay too.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This book talks about Native Americans, adventure and beautiful landscapes. Author Charlie Sheldon's story is a combination of 2 stories in one. One is historical and the other is set in current times. It is a beautiful rendition of the author's mind.

Return to “Discuss "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon”